Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Warning - Hyena inside Lower Sabie camp

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Firstly a couple steps sideways and then backwards. If you start stepping backwards right away you'll step in your own sh&t.

Will be interesting to hear from the experts what to do with animals like hyenas and ratels. I know for example with lions you must stand your ground and slowly but surely step back until you reach safety, I heard a story once where someone was confronted by a lion and it took him almost 30 minutes to slowly move back to the safety of his vehicle which was around 10m away, take a step and wait to see what he does, another step and wait, just like a game of chess.
    With elephants on the other hand you must run and climb, if you try to stand your ground you are toast, though I know there are also rangers experienced enough to know when it is only a mock charge or when that ellie is really pissed off.
    No, there arenít. The ones that claim they can have just been lucky. Every charge is a mock charge until it isnít..... but the good guides will have some situational awareness, and will use that, with a lot of experience, to decide on the best course of action.

Talking Re: Warning - Hyena inside Lower Sabie camp

Quote Originally Posted by bertus View Post
    One thing that I have noticed, all the places where the monkeys were a pest there were none in sight. A off spin of Covid ?
    Thatís a great point Bertus. We also noticed that recently.

We were in Skukuza in September 2020, and had Hyena in the campsite. Our camping neighbors came face to face early one morning when wanting to leave for his drive. It had chewed up his Coleman cooler box and crushing beer cans 😉
    20 Land Cruiser 200
    12 Discovery 4
    07 Toyota Prado
    98 Isuzu 320 V6 4X4
    98 Colt Rodeo 4x4

Sorry to shift from hyena's, but we were rather amused by this warning sign at Orpen Gate a few years back
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Scheepers85 View Post
    No, there arenít. The ones that claim they can have just been lucky. Every charge is a mock charge until it isnít..... but the good guides will have some situational awareness, and will use that, with a lot of experience, to decide on the best course of action.
    100% Correct.
    Lourens Goosen

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5