Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Warning - Hyena inside Lower Sabie camp

People must never forget that except for SA and Namibia, all the game reserves and lodges in the rest of Africa are largely unfenced. Some have electrified cables to keep elephants from breaking down their trees.

In those reserves staff and guests know that they need to be alert, savvy and that they are most definitely visitors within the habitat of potentially dangerous animals and modify their behavior accordingly. Unfortunately at times all fences do is provide a false sense of security.

It is true though if mass tourism is the ambition, then one has to cater for the lowest common denominator. I suppose it is pretty evident that I don't like fences .
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    I think he is typing in Word or Wordpad and then pasting into the reply. Very annoy and difficult to read - mostly used by people who drives Everests to save time!
    Lol Guys I will make Full Stops etc No Probs > I just think faster than I type

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    I beg to differ, around the camps maybe, inside not so much.
    Satara has a Huge Problem You live close by >> make a Booking and see

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Take Crocodile Bridge for example.

The fence is not that high. We camped right at the entrance against the fence and at around 21h00, there were many lions very close to the fence. I'm sure if they get a run up they will be able to clear that fence.

At the same night, when I came back from the shower, I saw a lot of nyala lying next to the ablutions. They seemed chilled so I thought now is my time to gap it to the caravan.

Many moons ago there was a leopard in Letaba. Just heard cars and people scrambling around late the night and heard the next morning it was shot right outside the shops.
    Sadly People report Leopards and the Policy is Shoot and ask questions later> The Tamboti camp is known to have Leopards at night. I surprised one at about 8am at the back near the gate. gave me a big fright like when you nearly stand on a Puff adder. 99% of people who stay at Tamboti Tented Camp are real nature lovers and enjoy the knowlege that Mrs Spots just walks through the open unguarded day time open Gate at her leisure >. Sadly there were a couple of sightings by an hysterical adult and the sighting was reported to Admin at Orpen Gate who are obliged to phone the Section Ranger. Both Cats at these seperate sightings were eliminated. People who freek out should rather book at the Metropole of Skukuza or Better Still the Hotel at Kruger Gate and make day trips instead. Roger at Tsendze showed me the tree above site 15 where a visitor came out of his tent a month before we got there at 14 where he discovered a fresh Bush Buck ewe hanging above his Rig!! sadly the Mooiplaas Ranger (Mopani area) removed the kill to outside the camp boundary Fence
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2021/05/07 at 10:11 AM.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by njvermaak View Post
    This I don't understand... why shoot it?Did it harm anyone? I've heard of leopards in Berg-en-Dal a few times, with rumours of the same outcome for a few unlucky ones.

Everybody knows a fence is not going to keep a leopard out.. it barely keeps a warthog or kudu on the other side.

People seem to forget that you are staying in THEIR home, leave them and let them be, a fence around your camp does not mean dangerous animals will stay on the other side!
    I think you need to decide whether you align with preservation or conservation, the former dictates that you don't eliminate problem animals ignoring the fact that the potential for the animal to harm humans could negatively affect visitors to the park and the funds available to conservation. You could argue that this leopard has not harmed anybody so what's the problem and a park official will answer that with singe word - YET.

On the other hand conservation dictates that it may be necessary to eliminate problem animals to maintain the viability of the entire ecosystem and that includes the income derived. The ethos of those entrusted with managing our parks is clearly conservation, that does not mean that they're not saddened by the elimination of a problem animal, but they know it's necessary in terms of the bigger picture.

My personal preference in terms of my interaction with the environment is not different to yours in that I am comfortable with the idea that it's not my domain and I am simply part of the food chain, but we are in the minority and conservation needs the income derived from the majority.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Not seen a Hyena in a kruger camp in all trips. Years back there was an announcement that there where Hyenas in Lower sabie while we were there. Soon after staff came around to inform everyone that they were removed.

I do not think there is any fence that would keep a leopard out.

But over to the Hyenas, they do get more balsy. About two years back at Balule they made a nuisance of themselves outside the gate. They would charge you if you turned your back on them. We booked a night drive at Olifants and the truck came to pick us up at 20H00. While standing outside there were about 4 Hyenas around. They looked very creepy in the night. We asked the ranger about this but was reassured they would not do anything. As the Ranger was saying this one charged my mother in law as her back was turned to it. It only stopped when 3 of us swarmed on it with the usual "VOETSEK". Even then it did not run away, just kept on lurking a few meters away.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

You saved your mother-in-law?

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by natand View Post
    Had hyenas in camp at mkuze, mpila and skukuza. At mpila they were watching me braai!
    Mpila is notorious for having hyena inside the camp.

Primarily due to it not having a fence. Well, there is a sort of tall fence just to keep elephants out.

But when we go, we braai early and watch the hyena and bushpigs from the tented camps balcony making their rounds.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post

Lol.... was waiting for that...

Privileged that I get along well with the in-laws.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara

Ive never seen a hyena in a camp before, but, I have often come across traps inside the camps in obscure, quiet places when Ive gone for walks through the camps.
    Im not suprised at all that they find their way into the camps, the paths around the fences are well well worn by the continuous laps they make around the camps at night.

Must say, Im not scared of a hyena. Maybe stupid or naive, but in botswana when they were lurking around the camp and braai I felt no fear, more like having a stray dog lurking around. I did make sure my wife and/or MIL didnt wander off to far from us though.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Must say, Im not scared of a hyena.
    I'm also not scared of my wife. Just versigtig.

No behaviorist, but in all my interactions with hyena close by, they appear to be very skrikkerig and keep away from any light shone on them.

But I would not stand next to a braai with one lurking close by thanks. I treat any wild animal as super unpredictable. Especially one with such powerful jaws.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post

Must say, Im not scared of a hyena. Maybe stupid or naive, but in botswana when they were lurking around the camp and braai I felt no fear, more like having a stray dog lurking around. I did make sure my wife and/or MIL didnt wander off to far from us though.

Naïve I think Graham, no offence. They hunt well these beasties and there have been reports of an adult Wildebeest being brought down by a single Hyena!

You cannot trust they "shyness". They deserve HEALTHY respect.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    An unconscious competent making his way through life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    From Half-Pint
    Funny guy

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JS-V8 For This Useful Post:

What is all the fuss about?
    A cheetah escaped from the Rietvlei Nature Reserve and chances are good that it's currently roaming our neighbourhood.

Animals in Kruger camps is a people problem especially scavengers like hyena, people chucking braai bones over the fences. The other day in the Dinokeng reserve one of the camp owners basically asked us to throw our bones over the fence because they want to lure the animals, I nearly had a stroke and if I wasn't in decent company I would have given him a piece of my mind right then and there.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Animals in Kruger camps is a people problem especially scavengers like hyena, people chucking braai bones over the fences.
    Actively feeding wild animals is a no no.

But here in the Hluhluwe game reserve, the appearance of a hyena makes us quickly move to a safe spot and the hyena helps itself to our meat off the grid...

Happened a couple of times now where I have lost some skaap tjoppies to a hungry hyena.
    So here, even KZN wildlife fails to protect it's animals, because by now, the hyena's know, once they smell a braai, its time to visit the campsite.
    So we try to braai early. Before dusk to prevent them from scavenging our food.

But here in the Hluhluwe game reserve, the appearance of a hyena makes us quickly move to a safe spot and the hyena helps itself to our meat off the grid...

Happened a couple of times now where I have lost some skaap tjoppies to a hungry hyena.
    So here, even KZN wildlife fails to protect it's animals, because by now, the hyena's know, once they smell a braai, its time to visit the campsite.

Ja my point is it's people who taught them that, it started by people feeding them leftovers and by now they got so slim that they know they don't even have to wait for leftovers. They pitch up, chase off the 2 legged animals, oh BTW thanks for your nice braai skills and help themselves to your meat.

Same with monkeys, a man made problem.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Just a warning to campers in this camp.
    One camper saw the 2 hyenas at about 21h00 and the other guy faced it 02h00 on his way from the ablution.

Although it has been a common sight I think it is still good for us to be very careful.
    Someone claimed to have seen one hyena one night when I was there 6 to 10 April, it had grabbed a small cooler box (one of those 6 pack bottles sized ones) and had dropped it when the guy shouted. I saw the cooler, had some puncture marks from teeth on the sides.
    Last edited by supersunbird; 2021/05/07 at 04:16 PM.

We left yesterday, luckily I did not meet this guy. I do have a bad habit of walking without a torch light at knight. They would not come into the camp if there is not food available. I did not hear anything or saw tracks and the refuse bin were 10m from me. I have seen at Crocodile bridge they chase the animals out at night to try and prevent such incidents. They had the bad experience of a child being bitten through the tent.

You can chase the hyenas away, the bushpigs are the problem, although I only had them once coming early evening, luckily before we had the meat on (Imfolozi not Hluhluwe).
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast