Default Prado VX lift with strut spacer

I have been doing research on best way to lift the Prado suspension for body/chassis clearance whilst keeping all the vehicle standard suspension systems etc.

I do a lot of overloading and touring and also regular 4x4 outings.
    The Prado is just that little bit low when going over break-over obstacles.
    I am looking for a body/chassis lift of about 20mm. I am not interested in a 50mm lift etc.
    I also want to keep all the current suspension features such as hard, normal, soft settings etc.
    I am not interested in changing the suspension to aftermarket and loose these features etc.

I found this video by guys that do suspension lifts for the Prado Kakadu (basicaly same as the VX) in Australia. At the 9min 40sec mark they start to cover the rear air suspension.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StcP38QhbFw

I found this video of the front strut spacer for the Kakadu (same as VX with KDSS, AVS etc.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8NGLyFMnxY

In the vehicle manual it indicates that in SA the rear lift from normal to high is 30mm and most of the rest of the world is 50mm.
    I also see in the video that you can adjust the sensor to get that little bit extra height for the rear.

So If I get a 8-10mm spacer for the front suspension to give it a 16-20mm lift, adjust the Airbag sensor to lift the rear 16-20mm as well, so that the vehicle retains it current level.
    The result will be the 16-20mm extra chassis clearance I am looking for at normal ride hight and then and extra 30mm on top of that at the rear when high is selected.
    I will then also retain all the hard and soft setting for the vehicle etc.
    The 16-20mm lift with the rear set to high will actualy give me an extra 30-35mm break over body/chassis clearance over the standard which is about 235. So I will have about 265-270mm which be more than adequate excluding extreme stuff.

My understanding is:
    Basically the spacer just lifts the body/chasiss an extra 16-20mm for a 8-10mm spacer.
    If aftermarket kits that give extra 40mm body/chassis lift are OK and within the suspension boundaries, then the 16-20mm spacer lift (8-10mm spacer) should remain in the safe tolerance zone etc.
    So there should be no extra stress on the system, no extra compression or extension etc.

I spoke to Toyota and they said that the spacers create extra down force on the suspension system, which results in extra stress on the strut mounting point that can result in mounting point cracks etc.
    I dont understand how, unless they are talking about the spring spacers.

Has any one done a lift like this?

Is my understanding correct?

Has any one had problems with small strut spacer lifts like this?
    Regards
    Danman67
    2016, Toyota, Prado 150, 3lt Deisel, VX

Adventure Awaits!

Default Re: Prado VX lift with strut spacer

I don't own a Prado but like fiddling with suspension and am currently looking at a Prado VX so did a lot of digging the last couple days.

I also saw people claim that the front spacer risks damaging the lower shock mount but I don't see why that would cause damage and a longer spring wouldnt?? They effectively do the same thing.

I'm sure you could find "moderate" lift springs for the front though? I see some of them are coilover types (if you replace shocks and springs) meaning you can choose how much lift you want. This would remove the "Comfort" and "Sport" suspension settings (although I cant feel the difference after testing a prado for a couple hundred kms)

The rear, yes. I believe spacing the sensor 10mm gives about 30mm of lift so it's a 1:3 ratio so just space it as needed. I'm also thinking if I do get a Prado it needs about a 30-40mm lift all round so seeing what the options are.
    Stu.
    Current:
    06 Wrangler Sahara. 3.5inch Rubicon Express and Bilstein lift, Metalcloak control arms, 1.25" RC Body Lift, 1" JKS MotorMount Lift, Zone Disconnects, BFG KM2 33's
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1190 Adventure

Default Re: Prado VX lift with strut spacer

Quote Originally Posted by roadhawg View Post
    I don't own a Prado but like fiddling with suspension and am currently looking at a Prado VX so did a lot of digging the last couple days.

I also saw people claim that the front spacer risks damaging the lower shock mount but I don't see why that would cause damage and a longer spring wouldnt?? They effectively do the same thing.

I'm sure you could find "moderate" lift springs for the front though? I see some of them are coilover types (if you replace shocks and springs) meaning you can choose how much lift you want. This would remove the "Comfort" and "Sport" suspension settings (although I cant feel the difference after testing a prado for a couple hundred kms)

The rear, yes. I believe spacing the sensor 10mm gives about 30mm of lift so it's a 1:3 ratio so just space it as needed. I'm also thinking if I do get a Prado it needs about a 30-40mm lift all round so seeing what the options are.
    The comfort settings make a huge difference when traveling on gravel. so I dont want to loose that as we do a lot of gravel travel trips. Just cam back from 3 days on gravel and it was a pleasure in the Prado with comfort setting, 1.9Bar pressure at working temp.
    Will do a bit more research on the front spacer lift and rear airbag setting lift.
    Having a whole lot of roof top stuff fitted, so will ride the vehicle to get the feel before deciding.
    Only problem I can see is if the front shafts run at an angle which can result in more wear etc. But mine are currently angled and the lift would straighten them to be straight and less wear etc.
    Regards
    Danman67
    2016, Toyota, Prado 150, 3lt Deisel, VX

Adventure Awaits!