Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Castrol GTX CI-4 Diesel oil any good?

Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    i will double check again tonight,but i could swear it was 15w-40
    So just spoke to Mike, the service manager at Mahindra East Rand, who confirmed that the service intervals with Maximile is every 20 000km. He says the Maximile is a blended synthetic product but cannot say if it is a 10W40 or 15W or whatever. It is not specified.
    Mahindra Scorpio Suv 2015 2.2 mHawk 4x4 7 seater
    Jurgens XCape 2015
    Summit Everest trailer(SOLD)
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Petzer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    Interesting. So in your opinion, using Castrol GTX every 10k km is safe even though Mahindra specifies Maximile every 20k km? I am just trying to understand whether I am being paranoid by doubling oil change frequency
    I service my Merc diesel motor every 10000km.

Why would you be paranoid about shorter oil change intervals, if new oil is the best then oil degradation makes shorter intervals better.

My Jeep is on 364000km and uses no oil.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daars nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    I service my Merc diesel motor every 10000km.

Why would you be paranoid about shorter oil change intervals, if new oil is the best then oil degradation makes shorter intervals better.

My Jeep is on 364000km and uses no oil.
    Yeah, the question was more with regards to using a non Maximile oil when changing oil at home between intervals. I always feel like dealerships like to extend service intervals when offering long term service plans, like mahindra does

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Petzer View Post
    So just spoke to Mike, the service manager at Mahindra East Rand, who confirmed that the service intervals with Maximile is every 20 000km. He says the Maximile is a blended synthetic product but cannot say if it is a 10W40 or 15W or whatever. It is not specified.
    Valvoline distributor in RSA
    https://absolutelubes.co.za/shop/hea...us-ch-4-15w40/

maybe this one?
    or
    https://absolutelubes.co.za/product-category/passenger-car-engine-oil/

https://absolutelubes.co.za/shop/hea...ium-blue-7800/
    Last edited by jadranko; 2021/05/07 at 01:27 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jadranko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    I would not stress on the low temp "W" spec. A 10W or lower 0W will be fine. Just make sure the other specs (ACEA C4) match up.
    That's the problem, you get C3 and C2 etc almost everywhere but C4 seems to be gold from an ancient land that SA have not discovered yet.

I would like a 10w40 ACEA C4 but it seems it's non existing, specially in SA.
    When the world ways on my shoulders....all I need is some time in the ocean with my octopus....everything shall pass...

I acknowledge that pit bulls and other large breed dogs can be dangerous.

Just remember that the amount of fuel soot, contamination, dust, etc., in the oil is then doubled with eg: 20K Km vs 10K Km.

When I was doing road tests for OEM's working out safe drain intervals with our fuel, conditions, dust, oxidation, oil thickening, etc., it was difficult to get most diesels on the market safely past the 10K Km mark. We have severe operating conditions. Synthetics have excellent oxidation resistance but they cannot reduce the contaminants.

IOW rather play it safe when it comes to drain intervals.

Could you please repost this in bold! A very important statement.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Could you please repost this in bold! A very important statement.
    This sounds like it would cope with extended intervals very well!

VALVOLINE ALL FLEET PLUS CH-4 15W40

Pack size Available: 5L; 20L; 208L
    Extra Durability For Long-Drain Performance. Developed for a wide range of heavy-duty engines, All-Fleet conventional engine oil is a high performance universal mixed fleet oil, recommended for gasoline, LPG and diesel engines. Advanced formulations combat higher levels of contamination and soot created in extended and long drain operation to maintain advanced levels of engine protection and cleanliness.

Description

Valvoline All-Fleet Engine Oil is formulated to provide optimum performance in mixed fleets under severe service demands. Additional product benefits include:
    Advanced additive technology reduces oil consumption and component wear
    Outstanding protection over long-drain intervals to help reduce life cycle costs.
    Superior soot control and corrosion protection.
    Compatible with EGR and SCR systems
    Also recommended for off-road vehicles, taxicabs, police cars, light trucks, vans and pleasure boats.
    Mahindra Scorpio Suv 2015 2.2 mHawk 4x4 7 seater
    Jurgens XCape 2015
    Summit Everest trailer(SOLD)
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos13 View Post
    That's the problem, you get C3 and C2 etc almost everywhere but C4 seems to be gold from an ancient land that SA have not discovered yet.

I would like a 10w40 ACEA C4 but it seems it's non existing, specially in SA.
    Why not CI-4 is easy to find, I think 15-40 would be fine

Just remember that the amount of fuel soot, contamination, dust, etc., in the oil is then doubled with eg: 20K Km vs 10K Km.

When I was doing road tests for OEM's working out safe drain intervals with our fuel, conditions, dust, oxidation, oil thickening, etc., it was difficult to get most diesels on the market safely past the 10K Km mark. We have severe operating conditions. Synthetics have excellent oxidation resistance but they cannot reduce the contaminants.

IOW rather play it safe when it comes to drain intervals.
    I agree, play it safe, oil is cheap...

The other day a customer ruined a Kubota engine by rolling the unit on its side and then the operator thought hed be funny by starting it up without telling any of the mechanics... Well, that hydro locked number four cyl and bent the connecting rod to make it misfire when cold...

Long story short, when picking up filters and oil for the new engine, I asked the Kubota rep (and former Continental engines test engineer) what oil to use and he just laughed and said use clean oil... Correct API class/grade for temps is helpful, but clean oil of almost anything is better than contaminated fancy oil...

Here our biggest problem is dust/cellulosic debris high idle/PTO time and contamination from DPF regeneration... Were doing PM Services at roughly 4 months / 10K Km / 6,200 miles or 500 engine run hours between services if we can catch them on-time...

David Vierra
    21 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 3.5L M/T
    52 Beech Bonanza

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AardvarkNV For This Useful Post:

I can just repeat what Sneaky Pete said. We have harsh, dusty conditions. If you want to drive you vehicle for a long time, way past warranty, perform a mid service oil change. Especially if you drive lots of short distances.
    Toyota RAV4
    Chevrolet Utility

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Duka For This Useful Post:

Just to recap and try and cover all the points raised.
    I believe the Nissan will have a Renault engine in which case Renault prefer to specify the European oil classifications rather than the yanks API system!
    My scepticism re the 20K km service period is that proper research must be done in our conditions with our fuel etc to determine if such are safely achievable. If so then good for them. Toyota's tests to increase the service level on an engine took 18 months of hard work. Generally an average size SUV diesel engine that has a fuel consumption less than in the region of 12km/L to 15 km/L will not be expected to achieve a 20K km service period without long term problems. If you are servicing at 20k km intervals I suggest you also read the fine print and expect to see something to the effect of "should you subject the vehicle to abnormal conditions then the drain interval must be shortened". This would include towing, dusty conditions, poor fuel quality, etc., etc. IOW typical of SA!
    Keep in mind as well that should the engine oil at the end of the service period be in a poor condition that this effect is compounded over the next succession of services. This is because a small but relevant amount of oil always remains behind when the oil is drained. So imagine the compounded effect on an engine oil over 200 000 Km?
    I believe that once you have settled on one good engine oil stick with it. The agents will always try and force you to use "their stuff". It is normally made by some local oil co anyway and more expensive that the equivalent spec you can source. My point is as long as it meets their requirements they cannot object. Alternatively buy the agents stuff and use that to halve the intervals.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

This is a debate that will rage for years. Even if you consult the tribologists.

Personally, I use a 15w-40 CI-4, all year round. But I do use Uniglide with every oil change. And I change every 15kkm. Done 400kkm now.

My take on this is that the thermostat is still the same thermostat and the engine will still be running at the exact same temp, as in summer.

There is a guy in India that builds dumper trucks that work in the mines in Mongolia. These guys work at max about -20degC. This cold startup is a real issue. But once the truck is started, it runs all day. They don't work at night. The Uniglide gives that startup protection, on initial loss of oil pressure, until it is at running temp. These guys also use 15w-40 mineral oil.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

CI-4 and C4 are not the same rating/thing.

As stated before, oil is cheap, having to replace your engine or DPF is expensive. Basically replacing your DPF would be close to the same price to replacing your engine.
    Last edited by Dracos13; 2021/05/11 at 02:42 PM.
    When the world ways on my shoulders....all I need is some time in the ocean with my octopus....everything shall pass...

Quote Originally Posted by Dracos13 View Post
    CI-4 and C4 are not the same rating/thing.
    What the difference... ?

Quote Originally Posted by John.oosthuizen95 View Post
    What the difference... ?
    CI-4 was released for vehicles after 2002 with an API rating, the C4 is a euro rating for vehicles from 2012 onwards with more advanced exhaust systems like a DPF.

As stated, replacing your DPF may cost close to replacing your engine.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Dracos13 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    The plot thickens... Same engine but half the intervals?? Something doesn't add up. What does your service manual suggest
    You will only get a definitive answer through oil sampling. The same vehicle in different applications and environments will exhibit different wear patterns, including oil ''wear''. The recommended intervals by the manufacturer are based on average applications and conditions. Oil analysis will tell you if it is fit or unfit for further use. It will also give you additional information which is highly informative and which can give indications of problems lurking in your engine or transmission such as the ppm of white metal (bearing wear) and silica (sand and air filter condition).

The oil analysts are familiar with the different types and makes of oil and can determine how these have performed.

A couple of hundred Runts could be a very cheap price over the long term
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    You will only get a definitive answer through oil sampling. The same vehicle in different applications and environments will exhibit different wear patterns, including oil ''wear''. The recommended intervals by the manufacturer are based on average applications and conditions. Oil analysis will tell you if it is fit or unfit for further use. It will also give you additional information which is highly informative and which can give indications of problems lurking in your engine or transmission such as the ppm of white metal (bearing wear) and silica (sand and air filter condition).

The oil analysts are familiar with the different types and makes of oil and can determine how these have performed.

A couple of hundred Runts could be a very cheap price over the long term
    Where would one get such analysis done, as a Joe Public...

Quote Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
    Where would one get such analysis done, as a Joe Public...
    Wearcheck is who I use.

Locations nationally

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Wearcheck is who I use.

Locations nationally
    Sorry Sean, don't want to make my name Toffie to phone. Any idea what they charge?
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Business bakkie)
    2011 Honda CRV 2.4
    2007 Hyundai Atos (Tossie)

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    Sorry Sean, don't want to make my name Toffie to phone. Any idea what they charge?
    Cant say Bob sorry. My clients get a bulk fleet rate but I think it could be < R500.00 to <R1000.00 for an individual.

Last time I did it about 18months ago it was R385.00 for engine oil.

Maybe we should arrange a forum rate?

Dirk?

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast