Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Castrol GTX CI-4 Diesel oil any good?

Hi all,

I recently changed the oil on my Mahindra with some castrol GTX.

The bakkie still has a service plan but with 20'000 km intervals. I am of the belief that oil should be replaced every 10k km.

With that said, I used 6L of GTX CI-4 (matches maintenance handbook specs, although they mention CH-4 which I couldn't find anywhere).

Then I came upon a NP300 thread where some members mentioned that the Castrol GTX is a bad oil.

Should I be worried? Has anyone had personal experience with it?

Default Re: Castrol GTX CI-4 Diesel oil any good?

Many old stories about GTX and sludge.

I have used it for many years without ill effects in Petrol and Diesel engines.

Having said that, peer pressure made me change over to the magical Caltex Delo.

I need to add some smilies.
    Kobus

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    Hi all,

The bakkie still has a service plan but with 20'000 km intervals. I am of the belief that oil should be replaced every 10k km.

With that said, I used 6L of GTX CI-4 (matches maintenance handbook specs, although they mention CH-4 which I couldn't find anywhere).

Then I came upon a NP300 thread where some members mentioned that the Castrol GTX is a bad oil.

If the service interval is 20 000km then it should be synthetic oil, which is what is used for my 2015 Scorpio Adventure model. With mineral oil it would be every 10 000km.
    Mahindra Scorpio Suv 2015 2.2 mHawk 4x4 7 seater
    Jurgens XCape 2015
    Summit Everest trailer(SOLD)
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Petzer View Post
    If the service interval is 20 000km then it should be synthetic oil, which is what is used for my 2015 Scorpio Adventure model. With mineral oil it would be every 10 000km.
    Hmmm but that is not what is mentioned in the service manual. Do you trust mahindra to be using full synthetic? In India and Australia intervals are shorter if I am not mistaken, either 10k or 15k

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    Many old stories about GTX and sludge.

I have used it for many years without ill effects in Petrol and Diesel engines.

Having said that, peer pressure made me change over to the magical Caltex Delo.

I need to add some smilies.

GTX years ago was one of the first “modern” oils with high detergent volumes and additives.it also had brilliant marketing, and soon every home mechanic was changing to it. But it would start to loosen up old deposits and sludge stick in the engines, and cause all kinds of hassle.

there was, and probably still is nothing wrong with GTX, but it got a bad reputation from this.

GTX, used in the right application (one where it meets manufacturer specs), on a well maintained clean motor should be just fine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Scheepers85 For This Useful Post:

Hmmm but that is not what is mentioned in the service manual. Do you trust mahindra to be using full synthetic? In India and Australia intervals are shorter if I am not mistaken, either 10k or 15k
    When draining the oil it was thin and seemed to lack viscosity. Also, I know that diesel engines turn oil dark very quickly, but the oil in my engine was pitch black which leads me to think it was at the end of its lifespan. In my previous cars I would have never allowed that oil to keep running around for another 10k km

Quote Originally Posted by Scheepers85 View Post
    GTX years ago was one of the first “modern” oils with high detergent volumes and additives.it also had brilliant marketing, and soon every home mechanic was changing to it. But it would start to loosen up old deposits and sludge stick in the engines, and cause all kinds of hassle.

there was, and probably still is nothing wrong with GTX, but it got a bad reputation from this.

GTX, used in the right application (one where it meets manufacturer specs), on a well maintained clean motor should be just fine.
    Ok great. Engine is only on 40k km, so I doubt it was suffering from any sludge deposits

I used 15w40 GTX on my offroader...it was recommended in the manual for my car in cooler winter climate to use that grade oil...and it choked up the oil filter with sludge...

Quote Originally Posted by John.oosthuizen95 View Post
    I used 15w40 GTX on my offroader...it was recommended in the manual for my car in cooler winter climate to use that grade oil...and it choked up the oil filter with sludge...
    Weird that it would suggest 15 rather than a 5-30w in winter? Where do you live?

Mine is on 150 000km and is serviced by my indy who has been looking after my vehicles for the last 20 years and I trust him! On the XUV500 it is mineral oil and that is done every 10 000km.
    Jurgens XCape 2015
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Petzer For This Useful Post:

Mine is on 150 000km and is serviced by my indy who has been looking after my vehicles for the last 20 years and I trust him! On the XUV500 it is mineral oil and that is done every 10 000km.
    The plot thickens... Same engine but half the intervals?? Something doesn't add up. What does your service manual suggest

Weird that it would suggest 15 rather than a 5-30w in winter? Where do you live?
    The cold area of Mpumalanga between Witbank and Secunda just outside Kriel....winter temps goes to -5 minimum sometimes in winter..when it's this cold we usually get to redo most of the water piping on the hous as well...cause of burst or broken pipes from frozen water...i drive a Lada..

With a diesel motor just make sure that it can handle the high compression etc.
    And, yes, it does turn black very quickly.
    In spite of all vehicle manual etc. advice I change the oil every 8 000 Km, and filters every second service.
    But that is on a very old Isuzu 280 DT - maybe different with more up to date diesel engines.

Chat with Sneaky Pete - he used to work for one of the oil companies.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by John.oosthuizen95 View Post
    The cold area of Mpumalanga between Witbank and Secunda just outside Kriel....winter temps goes to -5 minimum sometimes in winter..when it's this cold we usually get to redo most of the water piping on the hous as well...cause of burst or broken pipes from frozen water...i drive a Lada..
    At -5 15-40W seems a little too viscous at low temps, no? With those temps I would go 0-40W or at least 5-40W

The plot thickens... Same engine but half the intervals?? Something doesn't add up. What does your service manual suggest
    Exactly that!!
    Jurgens XCape 2015
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013

Exactly that!!
    And it's the 103kw 320nm mhawk right?

And it's the 103kw 320nm mhawk right?
    Yes 2.2 mhawk. Goes very well, never had any problems! This is the third Scorpio I've had over the years.
    Jurgens XCape 2015
    Mahindra XUV500 W8 2013

I also service between the stipulated 20k KM service intervals. I buy the filter and oil from Mahindra and they supply the recommended Maximile oil in a 6L can. Info on Maximile is very difficult to find apart from the fact it is a Valvoline product developed specifically for Mahindra.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

Hi all,

shell helix HX5 15w40 is CH4
    any midas store shall have it.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jadranko For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    shell helix HX5 15w40 is CH4
    any midas store shall have it.
    As far as I understand C-I is superior to C-H?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast