Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    829
    Thanked: 187

    Default Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    1) What if the outside temperature is 4 degree centigrade and my camping fridge is set at 8 degree centigrade, will it run? If it does, why? To pour heat inside?

    2) Car alternator charges the main battery as well as secondary battery or batteries, which means bigger/stronger alternator is capable of charging bigger batteries. Why not use this approach to charge electric vehicle battery while driving? Say use petrol or diesel to start the car, then switch to electric, make the alternator still run, therefore charge battery while driving. Battery never dies...

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    S-West/Stellenbosch
    Age
    47
    Posts
    550
    Thanked: 81

    Red face Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    I heard, day time drinking is posh if your rich and common if you are poor.
    Last edited by Serious?; 2021/05/06 at 09:41 AM.

  3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Serious? For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,568
    Thanked: 1277

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    1. Just leave your fridge open.
    Your fridge is insulated from the outside, if its internal temp is at 8 it will switch off, if it rises above 8 it will switch on. Ultimately the compressor still regulates the inside temp, it is not regulated by the outside temp. Basically if you leave your fridge plugged out in this example it won't easily reach 4 degrees equal to the ambient temp due to the insulation unless of course you open it up.

    2. This is basically how hybrid vehicles work, like a Toyota Prius.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,649
    Thanked: 2006

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    Hmmm if only we could figure out perpetual motion without losses
    Willem

    Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)


  6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Age
    38
    Posts
    819
    Thanked: 783

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Teryos View Post
    1) What if the outside temperature is 4 degree centigrade and my camping fridge is set at 8 degree centigrade, will it run? If it does, why? To pour heat inside?

    2) Car alternator charges the main battery as well as secondary battery or batteries, which means bigger/stronger alternator is capable of charging bigger batteries. Why not use this approach to charge electric vehicle battery while driving? Say use petrol or diesel to start the car, then switch to electric, make the alternator still run, therefore charge battery while driving. Battery never dies...

    1. Take everything out of the fridge and put it outside.

    2. You won't have an full "electric" car anymore. But a hybrid.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Polokwane
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,099
    Thanked: 822

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    1. Your fridge will only start running once the inside temp raises above 8 regardless of what the outside temp is. If the outside temp stays on 4 and the inside temp is below 8 your battery will last along time

    2. Ok
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    829
    Thanked: 187

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    1. Just leave your fridge open.
    Your fridge is insulated from the outside, if its internal temp is at 8 it will switch off, if it rises above 8 it will switch on. Ultimately the compressor still regulates the inside temp, it is not regulated by the outside temp. Basically if you leave your fridge plugged out in this example it won't easily reach 4 degrees equal to the ambient temp due to the insulation unless of course you open it up.

    2. This is basically how hybrid vehicles work, like a Toyota Prius.
    1. But how can it rise above 8 when ambient temperature is 4?

    2. facepalm

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,164
    Thanked: 7143

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    1. Take everything out of the fridge and put it outside.

    2. You won't have an full "electric" car anymore. But a hybrid.

    Point 1 is logical, it will maintain the temperature below 8 degrees, if the temperature inside goes above 8.. If not it wont switch on

    Point 2, you cannot generate more energy from energy used to move the car, iow to create the same amount of energy from an alternator connected to the electric motor, will require the alternator to generate the same amount of energy that the electric motor is making to turn the alternator, and the frictional losses and the energy to move the car..... and then even more to charge the battery...

    But most of all....You can only create energy, from energy... So somewhere you would need energy from the outside to overcome all the losses, and charge the battery
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,164
    Thanked: 7143

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Teryos View Post
    1. But how can it rise above 8 when ambient temperature is 4?

    2. facepalm
    By standing in the sun
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,568
    Thanked: 1277

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Teryos View Post
    1. But how can it rise above 8 when ambient temperature is 4?

    2. facepalm


    If you put warm braaivleis in the fridge the temp will rise.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    56
    Posts
    619
    Thanked: 329

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    If you travel just faster than the speed of light, then switch on a torch, will you see the light?
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,164
    Thanked: 7143

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyks View Post
    If you travel just faster than the speed of light, then switch on a torch, will you see the light?
    Private message The Flash, he's here on the forum
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Grabouw
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,709
    Thanked: 405

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    1. Plug it into a Pajero. If that fails.
    2. Plug it into an Amarok.
    Barnie Hickman
    Jeep XJ 95 "Witblitz" Jeep XJ 99 "Goldi" Swambo's

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,164
    Thanked: 7143

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by BarnieH View Post
    1. Plug it into a Pajero. If that fails.
    2. Plug it into an Amarok.
    What is the question?
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

  20. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,164
    Thanked: 7143

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    Here are two from me;


    1. Eggs shells don't float and neither the broken egg, so why do whole eggs float?
    2. If water molecules condense to form ice, why is ice lighter than water?
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

  21. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    krugersdorp
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,426
    Thanked: 397

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyks View Post
    If you travel just faster than the speed of light, then switch on a torch, will you see the light?
    yes

    theoretically it is possible to exceed speed of light.


    your example is same as :
    if i travel at say 100kph and trow a stone in same direction.
    will stone travel faster than 100kph?

  22. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Age
    38
    Posts
    819
    Thanked: 783

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyks View Post
    If you travel just faster than the speed of light, then switch on a torch, will you see the light?
    Yes.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

  23. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    40
    Posts
    535
    Thanked: 227

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Here are two from me;


    1. Eggs shells don't float and neither the broken egg, so why do whole eggs float?
    2. If water molecules condense to form ice, why is ice lighter than water?

    1. There is an air bubble in the egg.
    2. Ice is 9% less dense than water
    2018 Ford Everest XLT 3.2 4x4 Auto

    2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4 MT (SOLD)

    Photography : https://500px.com/c0rn3llman5
    Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX4..._as=subscriber

    My girlfriend asked me to whisper 4 special words into her ear... so I said : "Ons gaan NOU braai!"

  24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CornellMans For This Useful Post:


  25. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Age
    38
    Posts
    819
    Thanked: 783

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by jadranko View Post
    yes

    theoretically it is possible to exceed speed of light.


    your example is same as :
    if i travel at say 100kph and trow a stone in same direction.
    will stone travel faster than 100kph?
    Nothing with mass can go at the speed of light.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

    GKE

  27. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,164
    Thanked: 7143

    Default Re: Two Random Useless or Useful Fun Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by CornellMans View Post
    1. There is an air bubble in the egg.
    2. Ice is 9% less dense than water
    Point 2 - I agree, but, why is it less dense if it is the "solid" state of water?
    Molten steel, is less dense than solid steel.. Why different with water?
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •