Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Advice please - got a parking ticket while Defender in Storage

Just receiver a Final Notice - says I parked illegally at 20.09 on 6 November 2020. Never been in that street in Somerset West and my Defender is in permanent lock-up storage. Never received a ticket and never received first notice. Can I demand to see the ticket and who wrote? Is it possible the number plate was cloned. How can I defend this? Can anyone advise please
    11 Disco 4 HSE V8
    11 LR Puma
    17 Honda HRV

Default Re: Advice please - got a parking ticket while Defender in Storage

My SIL got a ticket for one headlight not working,no hooter, front tires not enough tred, no hand brake and front indicator faulty. he wrote them an e-mail with a photo attachment of his TRAILER showing the numberplate and never heard from them again.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly AND FOR THE SAME REASON
    Save the rhino kill a poacher
    1973 Series IIA 109 (Jorrie)

Quote Originally Posted by kitkirkman View Post
    Just receiver a Final Notice - says I parked illegally at 20.09 on 6 November 2020. Never been in that street in Somerset West and my Defender is in permanent lock-up storage. Never received a ticket and never received first notice. Can I demand to see the ticket and who wrote? Is it possible the number plate was cloned. How can I defend this? Can anyone advise please
    Write a letter to the Clerk of the Court and lay out your facts and send them proof that you were in storage and they should quash the fine.

My wife’s late grandfather who passed away 23 years ago received a lawyers letter today (via the family’s PO Box) for R6 600 and some change demanding that he pay this amount immediately to catch up his arrears tv licence.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Therackermann For This Useful Post:

....Can I demand to see the ticket and who wrote? Is it possible the number plate was cloned.
    Yes and yes.

Just write to them and ask them for proof of you signing for the original ticket, they should back off.

Yes you can make representations before Summons is issued.

Funny, we received a final notice for an expired license disk infringement on my wife's car - also Somerset West:
    1. We were not in Somerset West on the day and time, actually hundreds of kilometers away for the weekend;
    2. License disk already purchased and affixed to the car on the alleged date; and
    3. Vehicle in question locked away with the keys in our possession.

So, definitely something fishy happening with tickets issued for alleged infringements in SSW.

We sent a representation supported by Affidavit to the designated email address for COCT Traffic Services and have heard nothing since.

Happens to my wife fairly often, obviously a cloned plate. She sends a form letter to the clerk with her tracker record for the date/time and they squash it. Well, they do in Durban anyway.

I got a parking ticket for my bike, right registration number, but vehicle was a Merc. I was in PE at time. ticket was issued in EL. My diary was an official document.

Went to Public Prosecutor with my bike papers and diary. He just cancelled the ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    My wife’s late grandfather who passed away 23 years ago received a lawyers letter today (via the family’s PO Box) for R6 600 and some change demanding that he pay this amount immediately to catch up his arrears tv licence.
    My mom had the same issue when her father passed away. She sent them the death certificate a hundred times and still the demands for payment etc came. Eventually she just told them he moved and the new address is PO Box 1, Heaven. Never heard from them again.
    2018 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 4X4
    2016 Mazda CX-3 2.0 Dynamic Auto - Sold
    2012 VW Tiguan 2.0TDi Bluemotion - Sold
    2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Titanium 3 door - Sold

11. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to WernerDL For This Useful Post:

Join the club, there is a Black BMW Sedan driving around the Southern Suburbs with my number plates, but no license disc, and I get at least one fine/summons a year for it.
    Normally I just email the details to CoCT traffic, and it is solved.
    However, the last one has been a seven month saga, not yet resolved, when they finally responded they generously offered to reduce my R500 fine to, yip, R500

Maybe because of Covid, but emails do not help, phones, if you manage to get through, do not help.....
    I mean, how difficult is it to go onto the computer, see that number is actually registered to a white Jimny, and that it's license is fully paid ?

Not funny anymore......
    Jimny, the most underestimated 4x4xfar

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Gustav Jimny For This Useful Post:

I got a fine for my trailer jumping a red light.....

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GaryFrank For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GaryFrank View Post
    I got a fine for my trailer jumping a red light.....
    The question begs, who was towing the trailer at that time ?

Have received a couple of "Final Notices". As with all traffic docs delivered to post box, I ignore until an official arrives in person to deliver a summons. From that point there is a couple of weeks in which to approach the court official to sort it out. 80% of the time there is no summons and it is a waste of time to fight silly things.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonatan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jonatan View Post
    Have received a couple of "Final Notices". As with all traffic docs delivered to post box, I ignore until an official arrives in person to deliver a summons. From that point there is a couple of weeks in which to approach the court official to sort it out. 80% of the time there is no summons and it is a waste of time to fight silly things.
    I do not mind too much if I get a fine, if I was guilty of said transgression.

I once again forwarded the whole sorry saga to traffic representation, and once again I get an automated reply a few days later.

This black BMW thing has dragged on far too long, to blame it on Covid.
    Next step, Dan Plato is getting a fairly long email, after that, a few local newspapers.

I always ignore these silly thngs. BUT, now we have AARTO, and THEY are out to screw!!!

I was refused to renew my drivers license, because there was an "enforcement Order" against my name.

Now the details:

1. The vehicle was written off 3 years before the transgression date.
    2. The vehicle in the photo on the ticket is a Polo, and ITS number plate does NOT correspond with my Landy.
    3. They claim in the process they sent me 5 registered notices/ warnings/etc. Never received one of them.

So after all the traffic offices I approached all told me there is nothing they can do, I sent an e mail to AARTO with the picture of the Polo ad the incorrect number plate on it.

AARTO response, sorry you have to follow the formal procedure to raise an objection!!!

The reply I sent them, in one inch high highlighted bold print, cannot be reprinted on this forum, we are after all a family forum. Suffice to say it contained lots of words starting with F.....

C

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    ....and was it resolved?
    Robert van den Berg

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

A few years ago we received a fine final summons on 6 Dec (never received anything before that) for an expired licence disk on a Toyota HiAce in Blue downs Cpt.
    The numberplate on the Hi Ace belonged to our daughters VW Polo's and the licence she had was still valid for another 8mths.
    I phone the city help line and explained to them that it is a cloned numberplate, the number is on a VW Polo and that we dont live there and have never been in the street where the vehicle was fined.
    They told me to send them proof of the valid licence, which made me mad because they issued it they should know it was still valid or not.
    We copied the valid licence document, a photo of the car and the still attached licence disk also the fine / notice and sent it to the City.
    In January we received notice to appear in the Delf Courthouse because we have failed to pay the fine.
    I took this up with the state prosecuter who said its gone too far I can come and explain it to the judge failing which they will issue a warrant for my daughters arrest.
    I took it up with the city and they said it was now out of their hands.
    I took all the paperwork and headed off to Gallowshill trafic department where i fell in line with all real transgressors.
    When I got to the front of the line I told the clerk the story and told him that I insist theat they retract the notice to appear in court.
    He simply shrugged and pushed the papers back saying it is now out of their hands I must go to court.
    I then threw a very loud tantrum, lots of violent gesturing, foaming at the mouth etc. etc. until a woman in one of the back offices came out and told him to let me in.
    She told me it is not very nice behaviour and that I escalate the generally angry feeling the public have towards them that is why she calle dme out of the line.
    I explained to her what the problem is and why it required such behaviour.
    She picked up that when we sent all the evidence our cover letter had the two last digits of the case number reversed so she believed that they could not link the documentation we sent to the case?
    I agreed that it was a mistake but pointed out that the documentation we had sent them they had all the information required, it had the fine with the case number, the valid CA number plate, valid Licence disk and support photos etc.
    She checked the traffic wardens hand written documentation to see if the fine that was written out was for a Toyota or if the mistake occured when they captured the original fine in order to send the notice to us.
    Only then did she agreed that it was a mistake.
    Then I learned a very interesting thing.
    The traffic fine system does not cross check the numberplate against the registration documentation of the car.
    They write a fine and attach it to you window.
    Back at the depot they load the CA numberplate in their system.
    Fill in the vehicle type that they saw, the observed transgression and fine amount; the system automatically inserts the licence holders address and off it goes.
    They dont know that they or you have a problem until someone throws a tantrum.
    I found this a total waste of our time!
    They have the entire vehicle data base on their computers, why is it not linked?
    Inserting the CA plate should automatically populate the vehicle type in the documentation they are planning to send to us and flag that the CA number they saw on the HiAce was a forgery.
    It should also show them that the licence on the VW was still valid. They should then leave us out of it!
    It should automatically issue a notice to the traffic dept where the vehicle with the forged plates were seen that they must look out for it so that the criminal can be apprehended.
    As it is now the criminal can continue as normal while they are wasting our and their time.

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dawid Rabie For This Useful Post:

David, my gripe precisely too.
    My 80 year old mother, that drives a Hyundai Atos in Hermanus, and has never driven further that the local super market, got two fines here in Capetown, once for "her" Toyota minibus, once for a BMW.
    That was a few years back, and then it only took an email or two to solve the problem.
    Same with my new white Jimny, an ongoing saga that started four years back.

Now however, emails have no effect, at this point I have two outstanding fines for not displaying a license disc on my black BMW.......
    I have a record of emails going back to mid 2020, no result.
    I did copy the complete set to Dan Plato over the weekend, waiting on an answer.........

Quote Originally Posted by Dawid Rabie View Post
    They have the entire vehicle data base on their computers, why is it not linked?
    Inserting the CA plate should automatically populate the vehicle type in the documentation they are planning to send to us and flag that the CA number they saw on the HiAce was a forgery.
    It should also show them that the licence on the VW was still valid. They should then leave us out of it!
    It should automatically issue a notice to the traffic dept where the vehicle with the forged plates were seen that they must look out for it so that the criminal can be apprehended.
    As it is now the criminal can continue as normal while they are wasting our and their time.
    What? And miss out on all that revenue that so many people just pay to avoid the hassles of going to the trouble you did?
    Surely you jest, sir.....
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    What? And miss out on all that revenue that so many people just pay to avoid the hassles of going to the trouble you did?
    Surely you jest, sir.....
    Since there seems no point in emailing the traffic department, how about the Mayor......
    [email protected]

I did....

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Gustav Jimny For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast