Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Pajero feedback from current owners please :)

Hi,

I must admit, I have been secretly lurking in this corner of the forums looking and reading about Pajeros...

I am in the market for a new/good used 4x4/overlander and no matter how much convince myself otherwise, it actually does seen as if the Pajero is arguably the best bang for buck with space vs comfort vs reliability vs price vs offroad prowess ...

For like 500-700k you can pick up some pretty fine and fairly new examples!

Although in terms of shape I love a Disco 4 and a LC 76...but in terms of value I have heard some great things about Pajero...so many bloody options out there hahahaha

If there is anyone willing to share their experiences/opinions on the Pajero?

- reliability ... are they really as unreliable as people always joke about?
    - overlanding capability ... 2-3 week trips max to Bots, Southern Africa etc...
    - running costs...
    - at what mileage do they start giving ### even if well looked after...

Very new to the over-landing thing (never too late to start, right?) as this will be my first one Wont be doing any trails etc mainly 1-2 week trips in SA and southern africa...

Many thanks!
    Izak

Default Re: Pajero feedback from current owners please :)

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisherman View Post
    Hi,

I must admit, I have been secretly lurking in this corner of the forums looking and reading about Pajeros...

I am in the market for a new/good used 4x4/overlander and no matter how much convince myself otherwise, it actually does seen as if the Pajero is arguably the best bang for buck with space vs comfort vs reliability vs price vs offroad prowess ...

For like 500-700k you can pick up some pretty fine and fairly new examples!

Although in terms of shape I love a Disco 4 and a LC 76...but in terms of value I have heard some great things about Pajero...so many bloody options out there hahahaha

- running costs...

Very new to the over-landing thing (never too late to start, right?) as this will be my first one Wont be doing any trails etc mainly 1-2 week trips in SA and southern africa...

Many thanks!
    Izak
    I am on my third mistu now, had a colt 2.8 diesel, a gen 3 diesel and now a blister fender v6. None of them have ever let me down. They work very hard in my own as I do mission work into Lesotho and Swaziland and they always carry a heavier load than the defenders or Prado on the trip with us yet it still is able to go faster, more comfortable than defenders. My fuel consumption has not been bad ever ut have to admit this v6 is thirsty but not compared to other v6 variants on the market.
    At a 4x4 park my gen 3 did obstacles that no other vehicle there was able to do which includes a new ranger, disco 2, defenders, Isuzu.
    In terms of daily drive it is comfortable and there are some nice additions you can get for them.
    I personally would look at the gen 4 high power models though if you can afford it and find one for sale.

Current: Pajero 3500 V6 24v LWB M/T Gen 2.5
    Previous: Pajero 3.2 Did LWB A/T
    Previous: Colt 2.8tdi D/C 4x4 Extreme

One Heart: Land Rover Defender Puma 110, 2 x TD5 110
    http://oneheartint.weebly.com/

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allandell For This Useful Post:

Hi,

I drive a Gen 4 Pajero 2008 and it currently sits on 275000km. I use it extensively for travelling to remote destinations. Its the 4th Pajero in our family and wont be the last. Between our Pajero's we have covered over a million km's (1996 Gen 2 3.5 v6 sold at +-270k km, 2003 Gen 3 3.2 DID GLS manual sold at 150k km (we had 4 4x4's at the time so we let that one go), 2006 Gen 3 3.2 DID auto GLX now on nearly 400k km and purring like a kitten, and my Gen 4). The only issue we ever had with any of them was a clutch failure on the manual. The rest have been absolutely trouble free, and only required the odd maintenance here and there as can be expected with higher mileage cars. They have all done extensive travelling, 3 lived on gravel roads in the Karoo, and most have done a significant amount of towing. We have had a range on different cars over the years, we are by no means one brand people, we buy what makes the most sense at the time, and for us that continues to be the Pajero for our purpose.

As an overlander:
    The Gen 4 LWB Pajero is wonderful. Its very comfortable, very stable (all round independent suspension), has plenty power, can be driven in AWD (Super-Select) has a cargo capacity of over 800kg in stock form, has excellent roof-rack load capacity, is awesome in the rough stuff and generally just chugs along. Few cars will keep up with a Pajero at speed on a gravel road.

As a semi rough 4x4:
    I have done a few of the trails in the Western Cape (+- 10 trails now) and my Gen 4 with stock suspension height has had no issues competing with similar spec cars. The traction control is properly good in the rough rocky stuff if you know how to use it.

Reliability:
    This is the undeniable strongest point of the Pajero. The engine and drivetrain combo are brutally reliable and racking up 500k km in Gen 4 with the correct maintenance seems to be readily achievable. As with most cars failures can almost normally be traced to poor/incompetent maintenance. There are some awesome independent experts who are very passionate about the brand in SA who will look after it for you.

Maintenance Cost and Parts:
    Our experience is that our Pajero's have been our cheapest vehicles to own and maintain simply because their mean time between failures tend to be very low. A general basic service with my indy costs around R3k and a more major service around R6-8k. We have never had a parts and support issue despite living in the Karoo for most of the time (someone will bring this up).

Aftermarket:
    As mentioned there are excellent Mitsu people in SA who can provide you with aftermarket bumpers, fuel tanks, roof-racks etc to suit all your needs.

Things to note:
    1) Its not a D4, its just not as refined and as comfortable or powerful so if you are happy with slightly older but ultra reliable tech then the Paj should be considered.
    2) It does rattle a bit. Mr G on this forum developed a bracing kit for the rattling of the dash that sorts that out. The ride will however feel a bit hard unless you change the suspension as that's the nature of the moncoque design.
    3) Like most cars I advise you raise the suspension slightly for real overlanding stuff, its a bit low in stock form for the average user. Having said that I kept my ride height stock and I've taken it a lot of places including submerging it in a river in Botswana (pulled it out and it was 100%, carried on with the trip).

When you buy:
    Get a Gen 4 3.2 DID from 2015 and onwards. The facelift came out then and the rear diff-lock came back to the GLS as standard which is awesome (Traction Control is great, but there are places where a diff-lock is preferred). That one is also just that little bit nicer looking.

I've probably left a few things out but I'm out of time

Ill leave you with some pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1063 (2).jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	614486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6439 (2).jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	476.0 KB 
ID:	614487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191220_082113.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	455.2 KB 
ID:	614488Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0999.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	392.4 KB 
ID:	614489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201218_193408.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	359.2 KB 
ID:	614490

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Pictures speak louder than words
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Hi,

I'm yet to see any jokes about unreliability of a Pajero. Unless you meant the D4 here.

in Eastern Africa, there are gen1 to gen 4 pajeros all still chugging along these roads which roads by default look like 4x4 trails. In short, those pajeros are robust, no questions. Unless there was neglect by previous owners if buying used.

- running costs...
    Unless you get the v6, most diesel SUVs have reasonable consumption.
    they don't give ### if well looked after.

You don't hear a lot of jokes about Pajero (besides the name, that is)
    They just quietly go about their business hey.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Chopped For This Useful Post:

My Gen 2 was on 285 000 and I still regret selling to this day. My Gen 3 now on 215 000 and sweet set up.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

My Gen 4 ( the first of the gen 4's) has 317900km on it and is going along nicely, it gets serviced with oil change etc every 7500km, i was very skeptical at first to buy an older car, but i can honestly say it is the best vehicle ive ever owned.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SimonV For This Useful Post:

I did my research as you are doing now, I have also joined the Pajero crowd by buying a 2012 Gen 4 SWB with 245k on the clock. Not in the slightest worried about reliability.

I have just decided to ignore the "Full service history" with the vehicle and have presumed nothing. I am doing it all from scratch on my own Service history book.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruck20 For This Useful Post:

Yes great value and if you budget is 500-700k you can get a virtually new one
    The only issue is the rattles , but mine is the older one 2008 so not sure if the new ones are any better in that department.
    I know a few chaps that got rid of it as they said for that sort of money one should not have a lot of rattles, but as its not my daily it does not bother me. Mine is only 120kw and the newer ones 140 and lots more torque so should be great for towing .
    I found they are great on dirt roads (if you dont mine a rattle or two) but not so great in really bad rocky areas , I broke the bash plate ,destroyed one running board and damaged rear bumper (its all plastic) , all easy to modify if you are going to do extreme off roads. Never had that issue with my previous TJ and XJ jeeps but then it does not spend much time in the workshop , I will say no more
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 12richardk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 12richardk View Post
    Yes great value and if you budget is 500-700k you can get a virtually new one
    The only issue is the rattles , but mine is the older one 2008 so not sure if the new ones are any better in that department.
    Those rattly dashboards... are even worse in the previous gen Pajero sport. Bit I think there is a workaround? I know that owners of the Prado 90 just accepted to live with them.

Owned a Gen 3 for eight years. Swambo's Gen 4 is on ten years. Very little went wrong on both. The latter needed bushels at 160k kms and that is about it! The most reliable vehicles we've ever owned are these two vehicles!

I find the rear suspension a bit soft for overlanding, but air helpers solve the problem.

But...... We had a small accident seven weeks ago, and still waiting for the parts! Mitsibushi just have a shoulder-shrugging attitude. Now, we have enough vehicles not to be stranded, but this makes me think twice whether I will replace the Gen 4 with a PS.

Bostoe

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bostoe For This Useful Post:

You can get the rattles to acceptable levels.

Its not the the most frugal or refined, but it grows on you and has a feel of quality even if it rattles more than others.

Mine is on 305'000km. Its my third pajero and when I get in it, I dont pack tools (a first of all the cars I owned).

Look after it, change the top chain guide and reset the tensioner when you buy it. Do the clearances while you are there.

Drive train oils every 150'000km

Services every 10k kms

Smile and wave.

Its one of the best "do everything" vehicles out there.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Hi,

I drive a Gen 4 Pajero 2008 and it currently sits on 275000km. I use it extensively for travelling to remote destinations. Its the 4th Pajero in our family and wont be the last. Between our Pajero's we have covered over a million km's (1996 Gen 2 3.5 v6 sold at +-270k km, 2003 Gen 3 3.2 DID GLS manual sold at 150k km (we had 4 4x4's at the time so we let that one go), 2006 Gen 3 3.2 DID auto GLX now on nearly 400k km and purring like a kitten, and my Gen 4). The only issue we ever had with any of them was a clutch failure on the manual. The rest have been absolutely trouble free, and only required the odd maintenance here and there as can be expected with higher mileage cars. They have all done extensive travelling, 3 lived on gravel roads in the Karoo, and most have done a significant amount of towing. We have had a range on different cars over the years, we are by no means one brand people, we buy what makes the most sense at the time, and for us that continues to be the Pajero for our purpose.

As an overlander:
    The Gen 4 LWB Pajero is wonderful. Its very comfortable, very stable (all round independent suspension), has plenty power, can be driven in AWD (Super-Select) has a cargo capacity of over 800kg in stock form, has excellent roof-rack load capacity, is awesome in the rough stuff and generally just chugs along. Few cars will keep up with a Pajero at speed on a gravel road.

As a semi rough 4x4:
    I have done a few of the trails in the Western Cape (+- 10 trails now) and my Gen 4 with stock suspension height has had no issues competing with similar spec cars. The traction control is properly good in the rough rocky stuff if you know how to use it.

Reliability:
    This is the undeniable strongest point of the Pajero. The engine and drivetrain combo are brutally reliable and racking up 500k km in Gen 4 with the correct maintenance seems to be readily achievable. As with most cars failures can almost normally be traced to poor/incompetent maintenance. There are some awesome independent experts who are very passionate about the brand in SA who will look after it for you.

Maintenance Cost and Parts:
    Our experience is that our Pajero's have been our cheapest vehicles to own and maintain simply because their mean time between failures tend to be very low. A general basic service with my indy costs around R3k and a more major service around R6-8k. We have never had a parts and support issue despite living in the Karoo for most of the time (someone will bring this up).

Aftermarket:
    As mentioned there are excellent Mitsu people in SA who can provide you with aftermarket bumpers, fuel tanks, roof-racks etc to suit all your needs.

Things to note:
    1) Its not a D4, its just not as refined and as comfortable or powerful so if you are happy with slightly older but ultra reliable tech then the Paj should be considered.
    2) It does rattle a bit. Mr G on this forum developed a bracing kit for the rattling of the dash that sorts that out. The ride will however feel a bit hard unless you change the suspension as that's the nature of the moncoque design.
    3) Like most cars I advise you raise the suspension slightly for real overlanding stuff, its a bit low in stock form for the average user. Having said that I kept my ride height stock and I've taken it a lot of places including submerging it in a river in Botswana (pulled it out and it was 100%, carried on with the trip).

When you buy:
    Get a Gen 4 3.2 DID from 2015 and onwards. The facelift came out then and the rear diff-lock came back to the GLS as standard which is awesome (Traction Control is great, but there are places where a diff-lock is preferred). That one is also just that little bit nicer looking.

I've probably left a few things out but I'm out of time

Ill leave you with some pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1063 (2).jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	614486Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6439 (2).jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	476.0 KB 
ID:	614487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191220_082113.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	455.2 KB 
ID:	614488Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0999.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	392.4 KB 
ID:	614489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201218_193408.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	359.2 KB 
ID:	614490
    Thanks for the very detailed and honest reply, much appreciated! When you mention the rattle - does this affect the newer model Pajeros as well, or only the older ones?

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    I'm yet to see any jokes about unreliability of a Pajero. Unless you meant the D4 here.

yeah that was a typo...i meant the jokes about D4 reliability

yeah that was a typo...i meant the jokes about D4 reliability
    Those jokes there's reason behind them.

But incidentally some people somehow remain lucky with these D4s, and I think I'm one of them.

We got a D4 V8 SE 2012 used at about 120,000kms, a few years ago. It was a Japanese domestic market (JDM) import (yes into East Africa, not south Africa). Their SE is equipped like the HSE in SA. The thing has been completely trouble free, as in completely, just service and drive and brake pads, wipers, etc. We are now on 200,000km and still absolutely flawless. And the roads here are simply terrible.

So, I don't know, may be I'm in the lucky bunch... Because a few folks I know have their SDv6 parked for months here due to constant breakdowns. Others like me are enjoying theirs. But those were mostly sourced from UK and Singapore. Mechanics say those are poorer quality than JDM. I don't know their basis.

I was told the JDM specced D4 is of better quality, but I don't think there's difference. Most folks here drive the JDM spec D3 with the 4.0v6 (or is it i6) and I think it had coils not air. They all seem to have no reliability issues.

Not sure if this helps but thought I could share my side of the D4 story.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Would not give it up for anything!
    # 5 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS 2015
    # 4 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2013 trade in
    # 3 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2011 good trade
    # 2 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2010 did not aquaplane so well
    # 1 Mitsubishi Colt 2005 with 3.2 DID (160kw WOW!)
    Jurgens Xplorer 2013 (new retirement home)
    Challenger Wilderness "The Penthouse" (sold and will be sorely missed)
    Platkar 1: BMW 118 (SWAMBO)
    Platkar 2: Nissan 200 SX (Retirement project)

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mitsu Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mitsu Fan View Post
    Would not give it up for anything!
    You know deep in your heart.... You can give it up for that Patrol behind you

Both the Pajero and Patrol are sexy AF!

So regarding this "pajero dash rattle" - is this only older models or do the 2016+ models also rattle like mad? By the sounds of it, it is really bad

The pajero dash issue seems to me is a developing issue.I have driven new models that were certainly tighter on bad roads but I have driven new ones where it was loser..especially guys who drive bad corrugations often,their dashes are definitely more "loose"
    The looseness of the dash however is not really the main issue..There are things that rattle and many of the rattles cannot be fixed like the aircon ducts..Those adjustable blades loosen over time too and cause some of the rattles.
    Then the rear the massive door can get quite annoying and some of the covers in the boot area.
    It all depends on you and how badly rattles and sounds affect you.Test drive on a bad road before you buy and if the rattles are not too bad ,remember some are fixable so you can get the sounds a bit less.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast