Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Kayaking anyone?

Some people do meditation and yoga, I kayak.
    Mostly rivers but I have recently bought a Vagabond Marimba which I have used in the sea off stilbaai.
    Sea kayaking throws in that bit of adrenaline and is addictive.
    Anyone else here know how to use a paddle?
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KimballR For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Kayaking anyone?

Fresh water, anytime. Salt water? I don't have the balls for it.
    Good on you!

I enjoy sea kayaking. But my dog doesnt want to join me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:

I do freshwater.
    It is becomming a challenge to find "clean" rivers / dams near Gauteng.
    I love Doorndraai dam but the level is very low for some months.
    Spioenkop (Harrismith) is also a nice row
    Kindly share nice spots.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Karrooseun For This Useful Post:

Kayaking is awesome especially in the sea. It is a bit sketchy that sharks charge kayaks from time to time but statistically probably a tiny risk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

A few years ago we went to Roodekoppies dam with a paraplegic friend. He is doing very well with kayaking. He can with a bit of effort launch himself and get out and on his wheelchair all by himself. I decided to row to the other side of the dam and back. As I reached the other side my legs started sleeping and on my way back they turned numb altogether. I couldn't feel them nor move them. I fell out of the kayak and dragged myself out onto the bank. Crawling on my elbows. My friend thought I was mocking him.
    Choose life

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KimballR View Post
    Some people do meditation and yoga, I kayak.
    Mostly rivers but I have recently bought a Vagabond Marimba which I have used in the sea off stilbaai.
    Sea kayaking throws in that bit of adrenaline and is addictive.
    Anyone else here know how to use a paddle?
    My son and I also kayak at Stilbaai when we're there once or twice a year, mostly in the mouth of the Goukou river and up to the Preekstoel. I've done river training on the Crocodile near Pelindaba and on the Vaal near Parys, but nothing serious like the Ash. We use Feel Free sit-on-tops at Stilbaai. I've tried using the Feel Free once on the Vaal, but that did not end too well, especially at Big Daddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Katlagter View Post
    My son and I also kayak at Stilbaai when we're there once or twice a year, mostly in the mouth of the Goukou river and up to the Preekstoel. I've done river training on the Crocodile near Pelindaba and on the Vaal near Parys, but nothing serious like the Ash. We use Feel Free sit-on-tops at Stilbaai. I've tried using the Feel Free once on the Vaal, but that did not end too well, especially at Big Daddy.
    I have the feel free nomad as well (blue one in the photo), have had it for 20 years, a great little kayak. I bought a skeg for it a few years ago and catch small waves with it at stilbaai, between the goukou mouth and the Harbour. Really stable and great fun!
    Been out to sea at stilbaai (have a holiday house there) a few times in January, even managed to catch my first (and only) bonito from the kayak which was an experience! I went out alone but need to find someone to kayak with, it is a bit of a risk to go to sea alone.
    The photos of my jack russel was on the orange river (I live in Namibia, close to the Orange). I think taking my fishing crazy jr to sea could end badly..
    Kayaking is a great outdoor activity.
    Last edited by KimballR; 2020/08/30 at 06:58 PM.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab

I wouldn't be a River Rat if I didn't

15. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

a Kayaking paradise is here by us in Mtunzini, we have a big tidal lagoon and if you more adventurous you can kayak at sea, this time of year we have whales coming very shallow and than the good kayak fishing all year round, from excellent palalgic game fish to reef fishes, currently the kob/salmon/kabeljou fishing is excellent.

Sea kayaking is a fantaststic outdoor activity , I took my sons out kayak fishing off shore from the age of 5.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KimballR View Post
    I have the feel free nomad as well (blue one in the photo), have had it for 20 years, a great little kayak. I bought a skeg for it a few years ago and catch small waves with it at stilbaai, between the goukou mouth and the Harbour. Really stable and great fun!
    Been out to sea at stilbaai (have a holiday house there) a few times in January, even managed to catch my first (and only) bonito from the kayak which was an experience! I went out alone but need to find someone to kayak with, it is a bit of a risk to go to sea alone.
    The photos of my jack russel was on the orange river (I live in Namibia, close to the Orange). I think taking my fishing crazy jr to sea could end badly..
    Kayaking is a great outdoor activity.
    I have a share in a sectional title house in Stilbaai and we typically go there twice a year. We'll should be there in a year's time, from 23 December to 12 January 2021. Maybe we can go out together! We'll also be there in May / June, but then it may be a bit cold!

Quote Originally Posted by Katlagter View Post
    I have a share in a sectional title house in Stilbaai and we typically go there twice a year. We'll should be there in a year's time, from 23 December to 12 January 2021. Maybe we can go out together! We'll also be there in May / June, but then it may be a bit cold!
    Give me a call. I will have just retired to sb.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab

I also enjoy kayaking. Mostly in dams and rivers catching bass.

. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1680.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	586657
    Started to take my son with when he was 30 months old.

I have two hunterskiís bought back in 2007.

Here my two sons playing in lockdown.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3357.JPG 
Views:	161 
Size:	185.3 KB 
ID:	586658. The one with the paddle was the one with the rod in first pic when he was 30 months old.

Morning. Lovely photos. My parents used to live in Stilbaai. My dad was the dentist there.
    Anyhow, yip, i do paddle. Have an Epic V5 and V7. Hit the Durban waves once with the V5. ###### challenge but fun. We paddle at Buffelspoortdam. Sometimes Klipriver near Meyerton. Did the Tugela and Liebenbergsvlei marathons. Great fun.
    Last edited by HunterNW; 2020/08/31 at 06:34 AM.

With the see just there in the distance and no kayaks on the Island, no choice to make my own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CRW_3221.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	327.3 KB 
ID:	586703   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CRW_4279.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	274.7 KB 
ID:	586707  
    Last edited by Wilk; 2020/08/31 at 10:08 AM.
    Frans van Achterbergh

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wilk For This Useful Post:

I have 2 Kaskazi Duo sea kayaks and have used them all around the Cape Peninsula (Simonstown and Hout Bay are the favourites. And 3 Anchor Bay for the dolphins) and down the south coast, Hermanus, Arniston, Breede, Stilbaai, Knysna, Plett and the Wild Coast.

I have also pushed them through places they are not really designed for, like the Lower Orange through the Richtersveld on several flyfishing, camping and paddling adventures. Those were fantastic family bonding experiences. They are not good in the rapids and often need portaging, but they are efficient enough that you can paddle them both upstream and downstream if you operate from a base camp.

I bought the kayaks when my two boys were in primary school and the idea was for me to paddle the double with the youngest and for my wife to paddle with the older one. As it turned out I ended up paddling with my wife most of the time. Because we never managed to keep the peace on a tandem bicycle, I expected trouble, but we are very compatible in the double kayak and enjoy paddling together. I always feel like the boats don't get enough time out on the water, but then when we do go, I enjoy it so much that I keep them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5592.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	347.5 KB 
ID:	586754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6677.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	586742   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6645.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	129.1 KB 
ID:	586743  

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DJR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DJR View Post
    I have 2 Kaskazi Duo sea kayaks and have used them all around the Cape Peninsula (Simonstown and Hout Bay are the favourites. And 3 Anchor Bay for the dolphins) and down the south coast, Hermanus, Arniston, Breede, Stilbaai, Knysna, Plett and the Wild Coast.

I have also pushed them through places they are not really designed for, like the Lower Orange through the Richtersveld on several flyfishing, camping and paddling adventures. Those were fantastic family bonding experiences. They are not good in the rapids and often need portaging, but they are efficient enough that you can paddle them both upstream and downstream if you operate from a base camp.

I bought the kayaks when my two boys were in primary school and the idea was for me to paddle the double with the youngest and for my wife to paddle with the older one. As it turned out I ended up paddling with my wife most of the time. Because we never managed to keep the peace on a tandem bicycle, I expected trouble, but we are very compatible in the double kayak and enjoy paddling together. I always feel like the boats don't get enough time out on the water, but then when we do go, I enjoy it so much that I keep them.
    Great photographs, good looking kayaks!
    I have the vagabond marimba. Great plastic kayak, i am happy with it. No rudder but i am used to kayaks without rudders. You can fit a rudder. It tracks well, a bit difficult if you have a strong side wind but going to sea, i only choose perfect days.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Got a Wilderness Tarpon 100 in mango orange colour which is mostly used when going to Sodwana and Moz to play in the surf. Maybe not the ideal boat, but its good fun.

Not many spots in/near Pretoria that I know of for more "adventure" type kayaking (not just flat roodeplaat)

Have also been to the Richtersveld with the mango and that was awesome!

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coetzer94 For This Useful Post:

Yep - we love it. Have a Pescador 13T. Even bought proper lightweight carbon paddles. Just haven't had the chance to use it much in the year we've owned it.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - Lots of Mods(check thread) - [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD
    Youtube Channel <-- Click Here

Quote Originally Posted by coetzer94 View Post
    Got a Wilderness Tarpon 100 in mango orange colour which is mostly used when going to Sodwana and Moz to play in the surf. Maybe not the ideal boat, but its good fun.

Not many spots in/near Pretoria that I know of for more "adventure" type kayaking (not just flat roodeplaat)

Have also been to the Richtersveld with the mango and that was awesome!
    Actually we have a number of rivers close to Pretoria that have some decent Rapids. The Crocodile river is by far the most technical but you have to get your timing right in terms of water level and quality, you have to wait for about two days of consecutive rain for the water quality to improve but once we're into the regular rains it's relatively safe. Give yourself about 8 hours after a thunderstorm in Bedfordview and the water will be at Fridays Farm which gives about 19kms of decent rapids, if the water is flowing over the bridge at Fridays it becomes very technical and not suitable for the inexperienced 10 to 25 cumecs is an ideal level.

The Klip river flows all year thanks to the outflow from the sewer works at the N1 / N12 again wait for a decent period of rain but expect to do a lot of portaging thanks to tree blocks, but it's navigable from the R550 to the Vaal river. The Vaal from below the dam wall is a reasonable section all the way to Lethaba power station but it's a wide river and you need at least 20 cumecs expect a lot of flat water paddling.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast