Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Land Riover Discovery 4 - looking for feedback from current or past owners

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    This too. I forgot about those in my first post. Besides handbrake and transfer case failure I also had a coolant leak, door actuator on 2 doors and bonnet catch failing on me.
    I think @flyfisherman now has his answers from real world users of the D4.

Default Re: Land Riover Discovery 4 - looking for feedback from current or past owners

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    The Disco 4 is probably one of the best SUV's and overland vehicles out there. And its is a proper off-roader as well.

There have been some horror stories here on the forum with members ending up spending huge cash to fix, especially on the TDV6.

My personal opinion (and yes, I have considered one):

1. If you have 200k set aside for major repairs, then there is no need to worry too much. What is the saying, rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    2. Know you are buying a R million vehicle. While maintenance is not astronomical, it will be more expensive than your run of the mil Toyota's etc.

Other than that, it is a great vehicle and one that I wouldn't mind standing in my yard!!
    A Disco 4 with a VW V6 TDI engine and air suspension - that would be the winner

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    My preference would be a 6.4 Hemi. But that’s just my heart and my bias speaking.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Therackermann For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    My preference would be a 6.4 Hemi. But that’s just my heart and my bias speaking.

Would it even fit? There’s no bloody room around the 3l diesel and the car gets split in half for some maintenance

It exists! It's called a Touareg.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:

* V8 TDi 😁

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    It exists! It's called a Touareg.
    Nope. As much as I love my Touareg, it is not family friendly. It just doesn’t have enough packing space in the boot
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Most reviews say there is no difference in consumption between SCv6 and V8. What figures have you on the SCv6, real world not trip computer display.

These items all seem.commom to all models irrespective of sdv6, V8 or SCv6.
    I generally go by how much i get from a full tank, in town and long distance. I know this is not an exact science as there are too many variables so
    Use it more as a guideline

My Sdv6 freeway driving... 550km max... 6spd gearbox
    Town driving... 450km
    Scv6 freeway driving.... 450...500km
    In town 400km

I drove the d4 v8 for a weekend and i cant remember exactly... But i recall 400km to a tank on the freeway.

The v8 feels more powerful.. The scv6 needs to drop down 2 gears. Then it really gets rapid.
    Last edited by revred; 2021/05/08 at 11:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisherman View Post
    Hi,

As per subject, was wondering if anyone care to share some thoughts or first hand experiences on owning a Disco 4.

There are some pretty low mileage options available for a fairly decent price.

I have never driven one, but they seem super luxury, but pretty capable as well?

If there is anyone willing to share their experiences/opinions on the Disco 4?

- reliability ... are they really as unreliable as people always joke about?
    - overlanding capability ... 2-3 week trips max to Bots, Southern Africa etc...
    - running costs...
    - at what mileage do they start giving ### even if well looked after...

I have been a secret Disco fanboy for a long time...I do NOT like the new shape, does not appeal to me. The Disco 4 is a seriously pretty SUV...a Disco and a 76 Cruiser are my favourite in terms of looks...

But can you reliably buy a Disco 4 with low mileage and expect it to last 10+ years and cost you less in maintenance than say a low mileage 76 cruiser? Mixed use both as a daily drive...

Any experienced Landie Disco 4 owners care to share their experiences?

From 2006 to 2016 had a Disco 3 and then Disco 4 . Both diesel . Did many trips in both - Botswana often , Zam , Nam , Moz. Includes much gravel and sand roads . 180k in the 3 and 90000k in the 4 . Loved the vehicles and their flexibility . City driving was nearly a pleasure in them. Had Landys since 1996 .
    I really think we were sort of lucky as there were occasions when the 3 and 4 just stopped with some fault . Lucky as this was only in urban/JHB areas and warranty existed . So Landy collected , towed and fixed each time . Never happened on a trip ! When warranty was shortly to run out on Disco 4, there were too many cases of Discos blowing up , the rand exchange rate had just deteriorated horribly and the sheer potential cost of running a Landy again did not appeal at all.
    The Discos had been truly great but the risks and cost of owning one again finally got to me !

If you can put up with the risks and also the potential cost of running / maintaining one . Fine. But they need to be fully considered versus the lovely vehicles they are .
    PS I do prefer them compared to the new models that came out

Disco 4 V8 owner for 9 years so nearing your 10 year mark.
    Got the car on 8000km and currently on 170 000km.
    NO MAJOR ISSUES.
    Mostly on road (like most 4x4's but never admitted by the owners) but some decent 'hardcoreish' Namibia, Botswana trips all towing either a Conqueror or Afrispoor Cheetah.
    Look after her like a baby and know the things that need attention (water pump every 70k km, oil every 12k km etc.)
    I know I will have a biggie at some stage (timing chain followers) but at this stage still fine.
    Control arm bushes, quite 'regular' if doing lots of off-roading. The vehicle is heavy.
    Fuel consumption? Heavy, but I think not much worse than other makes that makes much less power.
    Someone once said if you have the horses you need to feed them.
    www.lani4travel.com

Louis Le Grange

14. The Following User Says Thank You to oradba69 For This Useful Post:

Google Earth says Skukuza is nearly 6hrs from Joburg and my Defender would no doubt take longer ...
    A total of 12 hrs to and from Kruger for a weekend is simply not worth it ...

A Disco could probly make it viable ...
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2021/05/10 at 07:23 AM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Hi,

I have had 2 Discos - the Disco 3 V8, bulletproof but thirsty.
    I recall a trip to Mabua and after Tsabong and for the next 10 days or so then exit via Sekoma (195km from Mabua) i carried 210 litres of fuel extra to ensure i would make it. In sand expect 21 /22 L per 100 (i tow a trailer)
    I then got the Disco 4 - wow what a vehicle. Power, comfort, economy over D3, beautiful car.
    We did a lot of trips, Bots 4 times, Zim once.
    The reliability is the real concern, being in Mabua and all the lights on the dash glow and the system message of "engine failure" starts an immediate chill / sweat and anxiety. Fortunately on that trip, when leaving the next day, started and all good........was blessed.
    We had a number of problems with the D4 - alternator, handbrake, water, something in the gearbox.
    In terms of going into the bush, my wife then said - if it doesnt have a key to start and a pull up handbrake, I'm not going with you........

On both Discos, I used the "Johnson Rods" - this gives you about 40 or 50mm more clearance in normal mode and makes life easy in the bush.

I now have a Toyota, but i really miss my Landy.
    Truth also be told, the Toyota is being kitted for overlanding, more space than Disco, so when not towing the Conqueror Comfort (Khaki Hotel), the freedom to cover more distance and stopovers.
    Toyota Hilux D4D
    Conqueror Comfort

Ex Landrover D4 TDV6
    Ex Landrover D3 V8 HSE

The D4 is currenlty, in my view, the bext 2nd hand buy on the market - and the prices are increasingly monthly, probably due to the value these cars provide. Bought my 1st D4 with 53k km and driven to 156k km, no issues. Currenlty on a D5, not looking back. Convinced 4 other mates to also buy D4s, one sitting on 225k km no issues and car drives like a beaut - 9km+ / Litre. Other had a blown turbo, fixed under warranty, going strong. no issues with the other.
    Currenlty on No. 5 and 6 of Land Rover branded vehicles, no major issues, but I do take care i.e. service at reputable centres and on time. Only issue with my D4 was sensor with restricted performance, on rare occasions.
    Won't get another SUV with the on- and off-road performance of the D4. For R800k budget, there are loads of D4's with 60-80k km on the clock (2015-2017 models) for around R550 - R650k. Buy an extended unlimited warranty with the vehicle and the only issue you should be worried about is, if you get stranded (small possibility), where this will be. Budget R6000 once a year (or 24k km) for services, R20k for the timing belt services at 7 years and the rest is enjoyable.
    2001 Land Rover Defender 130
    2004 Land Rover Defender 110 DC PU (Missed alot!!)
    2011 Land Rover Discovery 4 SE (Swambo's) SOLD
    2013 Land Rover Freelander II SE (Swambo's) SOLD
    2012 Land Rover Defender 110 DC PU 2.2 - Lekker
    2017 Land Rover Discovery (5) SE - Pleasantly surprised

My 2012 V8 is also running without issues.
    I keep on extending the dealer service plan and they keep the car on the road.

Only maintenance I had to do outside service plan was to replace the front discs and all pads.
    Ordered the discs from LR and did the fitment myself. (I ordered from LR because I couldn't find a local Brembo dealer in Cape Town.) Ordered the pads from Ferodo.

Only other expense was tyres.
    I will however have to replace the timing chain at some stage, engine is starting to produce a slight "klak klak" when idling and directly related to the chain. (This will be performed by 7Landies)

I tow a Metalian Maxi and my fuel consumption is what you would expect from a vehicle producing over 250kw.

I've driven various vehicles but the Disco4 is by far the most comfortable vehicle I've ever owned. Probably the reason we are keeping this vehicle way past the factory warranty expired despite all the horror stories.
    Last edited by casper.mostert; 2021/05/10 at 02:46 PM.

2012 Discovery V8 HSE (Witblits)
    2000 Defender 2.8i 110 CSW (Baksteen 2)
    2015 BMW GSA 1200 (Die scooter)
    2013 Metalian Maxi with CC TR6 TTT
    Land Rover - training the best google mechanics since 1948

Quote Originally Posted by casper.mostert View Post
    My 2012 V8 is also running without issues.
    Oh yes, me too as I've posted on other threads.
    OK, the only "serious issue" is the 4km/l bumper to bumper city traffic thirst.

I have had two D4's, 2011 SDV6 SE and 2015 TDV6 S, and current have a 76V8. Fantastic tow cars (best I have owned) and extremely comfortable and capable off road. I traded both before 100,000km to escape the potential crank failure while still under warranty, but this was brought on a niggling raft of electrical problems. Hand brake (stayed on and would not release), door actuators (failed, needed assistance to get back into the cars twice) and suspension sitting down and would not rise. Great on fuel (11l/100km), although fuel computers both highly optimistic both. Expensive tyres. Probably one of the best cars I have owned but with the lurking 'reliability' cloud hanging over my head. I never went overlanding with either-preferred the much older Prado we had because of reliability.

Decided to buy a new bush vehicle and given the Prado's (90 Series) huge reliability tick I bought a 76 V8. Different animal entirely. Tough as nails and feels it. Compared with the Disco comfort, it is a truck as in MAN or Oshkosh. Handling by comparison is poor. Fuel consumption averages at around 13l/100km (cf 11/100km). 80,000km now, never missed a beat. Has warned me of a dirty fuel filter a few times, but has never stopped or reduced performance. It gives one a feeling of complete indestructability and peace of mind when far away from anything. Clean fuel and air and regular greasing of the joints and it is happy. It's high profile tyres which don't cost a fortune. If you are overlanding, the 76 gives you many more options for customising and recovery.

The Disco is a fantastic everyday use car, and extremely capable offroad. I would be very wary without factoring in either extended warranty or contingency costs. The 76 is not the best everyday car-its manual, has a large turning circle and a close ratio gearbox with a low ratio 5th gear. Needs a bit of stirring in town, but is a competent heavy tow machine, hardly ever needing to drop down from 5th. But besides the clutch (which has a reputation for being weak if abused), it is teak.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2