Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Land Riover Discovery 4 - looking for feedback from current or past owners

Hi,

As per subject, was wondering if anyone care to share some thoughts or first hand experiences on owning a Disco 4.

There are some pretty low mileage options available for a fairly decent price.

I have never driven one, but they seem super luxury, but pretty capable as well?

If there is anyone willing to share their experiences/opinions on the Disco 4?

- reliability ... are they really as unreliable as people always joke about?
    - overlanding capability ... 2-3 week trips max to Bots, Southern Africa etc...
    - running costs...
    - at what mileage do they start giving ### even if well looked after...

I have been a secret Disco fanboy for a long time...I do NOT like the new shape, does not appeal to me. The Disco 4 is a seriously pretty SUV...a Disco and a 76 Cruiser are my favourite in terms of looks...

But can you reliably buy a Disco 4 with low mileage and expect it to last 10+ years and cost you less in maintenance than say a low mileage 76 cruiser? Mixed use both as a daily drive...

Any experienced Landie Disco 4 owners care to share their experiences?

Default Re: Land Riover Discovery 4 - looking for feedback from current or past owners

I had one for a short while, about 3 years. Very comfortable and spacious. Body roll takes some getting used to coming from a platkar but still better than the disco 3.
    Didn't do any off road with it besides some beach sand on two occasions. Collectively probably less than 10km.
    Would I get another? Really not sure.
    In those 3 years mine went in the for handbrake 4 times. It would just make a grinding sound but not engage or did not want to disengage.
    On the second occasion meeting the sand I selected the sand setting and it made a hum all the time. Got back to a workshop and got the news that something in the transfer case needed replacing @R62k. No thanks, sold it after that. I may have just had a bad apple but my sisters previous disco 3 didn't have as much niggles.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nabs For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Land Riover Discovery 4 - looking for feedback from current or past owners

The Disco 4 is probably one of the best SUV's and overland vehicles out there. And its is a proper off-roader as well.

There have been some horror stories here on the forum with members ending up spending huge cash to fix, especially on the TDV6.

My personal opinion (and yes, I have considered one):

1. If you have 200k set aside for major repairs, then there is no need to worry too much. What is the saying, rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    2. Know you are buying a R million vehicle. While maintenance is not astronomical, it will be more expensive than your run of the mil Toyota's etc.

Other than that, it is a great vehicle and one that I wouldn't mind standing in my yard!!
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    The Disco 4 is probably one of the best SUV's and overland vehicles out there. And its is a proper off-roader as well.

There have been some horror stories here on the forum with members ending up spending huge cash to fix, especially on the TDV6.

My personal opinion (and yes, I have considered one):

1. If you have 200k set aside for major repairs, then there is no need to worry too much. What is the saying, rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    2. Know you are buying a R million vehicle. While maintenance is not astronomical, it will be more expensive than your run of the mil Toyota's etc.

Other than that, it is a great vehicle and one that I wouldn't mind standing in my yard!!
    This.

Darron John Misplon
    Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES Manual
    BMW F30 320i Sport Auto
    BMW R1200 GS
    Hobie 14 Turbo

I had 3 of them, 1 in SE and 2 in HSE trim, and all diesels, and till today I miss these vehicles greatly. Best vehicle I have ever owned.

I can honestly say that in terms of reliability I only once had a hiccup which LR traced back to software and was back on the road in a jiffy, rest of the time LR took care of them even down to worn discs and bushes.

Vehicle was capable of much more than the driver, always. Comfort was just what one would have expected from a premium vehicle, and they had space aplenty. Seen trips to Bots, Mabibi and other long trips in SA always with a Companion in tow, and proved itself a very capable tow vehicle as well. Even done the Mabua to Nossob trip, the top road with the Companion in tow, and never skipped a beat.

As to running cost can I perhaps not contribute that much other than the tyres that needed replacement, and, being 19inch was always pretty costly. And as to the mileage where things start to go wrong, always sold mine just before the 100K km mark, so also not much help in that department.

It is true that when they start to give trouble it could be very costly, and do I also have family and friends that has suffered from engines braking and the like, so I do know of such cases and must you also be aware of these risks. With my 2nd and 3rd Discos I was much more aware of these issues, but was very fortunate not to have suffered any of these major issues.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    - Leonardo Da Vinci
    Also on

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rooikop For This Useful Post:

Current owner and loving it more every day. That’s after having done 65 000.

If they work there is none like it… and I have had Toyota, Jeep and Mitsubishi.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zapiture For This Useful Post:

incredible engine - makes EVERYTHING effortless.

luxury AND capability - i won't drive anything else.

and i use mine in low ratio ALOT.
    Merit before Race - anything else IS Racism.
    Stay Calm, engage low-ratio, keep buggering on - a Landy Man
    Longevity isn't worth dying for,

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt Chaos For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisherman View Post

But can you reliably buy a Disco 4 with low mileage and expect it to last 10+ years and cost you less in maintenance than say a low mileage 76 cruiser?
    OK are u being serious with this question

But to answer it, NO.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    OK are u being serious with this question

But to answer it, NO.
    Hahahahaha hey come on, throw a guy a bone here! 4x4 ownership is VERY new to me, and overlanding is something I really want to get into after returning to SA.

Like I said, i really like the look of both vehicles, but I do have a limted budget and dont want a money-pit vehicle

Hence the reasons i asked

I have a budget of 800K for the vehicle - that is basically a new 76 LC or a very good, almost as-new D4

Deep down in my heart and mind it says LC76 but damn lets be honest, a Disco 4 is arguably one of the sexiest 4x4/SUV ever produced and capable as well - just the big ? over running cost and reliability form what I read

Default Land Riover Discovery 4 - looking for feedback from current or past owners

For R800k I would look for a low mileage Prado. Too many stories of expensive failures on these Landrovers out there for my comfort.
    Last edited by Hooly; 2021/05/05 at 02:45 AM.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:

Hahahahaha hey come on, throw a guy a bone here! 4x4 ownership is VERY new to me, and overlanding is something I really want to get into after returning to SA.

Like I said, i really like the look of both vehicles, but I do have a limted budget and dont want a money-pit vehicle

I have a budget of 800K for the vehicle - that is basically a new 76 LC or a very good, almost as-new D4

Deep down in my heart and mind it says LC76 but damn lets be honest, a Disco 4 is arguably one of the sexiest 4x4/SUV ever produced and capable as well - just the big ? over running cost and reliability form what I read

The Lc76 and D4 are just so massively different though. If I was going to spend lots of time in central Africa, I’d certainly not go D4, mostly because they are much harder to work on in a bush environment and have much more systems which contribute to performance and comfort, which can cause problems (as does a similar spec Prado.

For a multi-purpose car that is class leading on the road, and off the road, in that size and comfort class, the D4 is very hard to match.

Our 2017, which we bought for similar money, has gone 80,000k with the only fault being a dealer did not install the fuel filter correctly.

Our 2012 with 250k on it has had more issues but not out of keeping with other vehicles I’ve owned.

yes, running costs and maintenance can be a bit higher because there is more “stuff” like air suspension. Drive a few weeks on corrugated gravel in the D4 compared to most and you’ll be happy it has that capability.

i would say on average though absolutely it will cost you more in maintenance over 10 years - because you are going to have to replace some components like air compressor, etc...

Ours have done multiple trips well off road and into very remote places, and always performed very well.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2021/05/05 at 06:09 AM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Personally I will not go new. Also remember the 76 doesn’t come with a service plan so you will have to set aside money in any case

If it was me, I would reduce my budget to 650k. That still leaves you with a lot of vehicles to choose from and a slush fund for contingecies
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Personally I will not go new. Also remember the 76 doesn’t come with a service plan so you will have to set aside money in any case

If it was me, I would reduce my budget to 650k. That still leaves you with a lot of vehicles to choose from and a slush fund for contingecies
    Hi,

thanks for the reply. You are actually not the first person to actually tell me this, my mate who owns a hilux said the same - go used and keep the change for covers, mats, roofrack etc...

Dropping to R650k does make some Pajeros seem like incredibly good value for money in that price range in terms of year model and mileage!

The Lc76 and D4 are just so massively different though. If I was going to spend lots of time in central Africa, I’d certainly not go D4, mostly because they are much harder to work on in a bush environment and have much more systems which contribute to performance and comfort, which can cause problems (as does a similar spec Prado.

For a multi-purpose car that is class leading on the road, and off the road, in that size and comfort class, the D4 is very hard to match.

Our 2017, which we bought for similar money, has gone 80,000k with the only fault being a dealer did not install the fuel filter correctly.

Our 2012 which has over 250k on it has had more maintenance items to do, but average compared to others we’ve owned. Trips in that have included a number of trips to very remote places and some hard off-road use including heavy towing.

yes, running costs and maintenance can be a bit higher because there is more “stuff” like air suspension. Drive a few weeks on corrugated gravel in the D4 compared to most and you’ll be happy it has that capability.

The car’s biggest actual shortcoming is the 19” rims. Low profile which limits airing down, tyres in that size are expensive, and all have 2 ply sidewalls. Worth changing to 18” - makes a significant difference.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2021/05/05 at 06:26 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Owned a D3 V8 which i still miss everyday.

Super comfy, space for everything and a bit, awesome offroad and the V8 was a beast.

Saving up a bit and then i am back in the market for a D4 SDV6.

I will put money away and get a aftermarket warranty.

For R800k, you can get a very nice D4 for R600k and have R200k put away for if the diesel kills itself.
    2006 Land Rover Discovery V8 SE (Sold to DD, then bought it back again) Boomerang
    2018 Ford Ramger D/C 2.2 TDCI 4x2 XL Auto (Company car)
    2014 Ford Ranger D/C 2.2 TDCI 4x2 (Company Car) Retired
    2013 VW Polo 1.6 (swambo) SOLD

Love our D3 V8. Was also a secret fan and took a chance about two years ago and bought one. Just did 5000km towing a trailer down to CT from KZN, up the west coast, into the richtersveld and back to KZN. Didn’t miss a beat and performed very well in every scenario. 6km/l over all. Also went from 19’s to 18’s and can recommend it if you go the discovery route. In a couple of years I’m hoping to pick up a defender (by then 5 years old) to replace or if they are still too expensive a facelift D4. Have also thought about getting a 76 or even a prado (the usual car guy itch to change cars), but every trip we do in the discovery and every time I drive it I just love it more and more and really can’t fault it.

I should probably mention that I do all service work on it myself and I’m very pedantic about doing the maintenance as suggested. I don’t think these are the type of cars you can just drive for years on end like a land cruiser 76 with a 1HZ and not do much maintenance. (On the plus side it has more than 90kw )

If I had your budget I would get a low milage D4 diesel for around R650-700k and keep the rest aside for maintanance. I doubt you’ll regret buying a D4.

just my 2c.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by schalkvdm; 2021/05/05 at 09:59 PM.
    D3 V8
    Venter Off Roader

27. The Following User Says Thank You to schalkvdm For This Useful Post:

The LC76 may give you a 20 year plan rather than a 10 year plan. So in other words after year 10 you will have more and better quality options (in terms of decision possibilities) available to you than buying a D4 now and as part of your 10 year plan.

I like both. Each are polar opposite of each other but to me neither of them are worth 800k. As already mentioned there are better options for less money.

To me R200k worth of accessories is worth more than R200k maintenance as suggested above. If you can swing spanner’s yourself then that would be a major consideration in your decision.

For R200k I’d probably consider a properly kitted out trailer rather than budget that for vehicle maintenance.

Alternatively if you take your R800k budget and you are willing to sacrifice a bit of age and mileage, you could fit one of each into your budget. In doing this you’d also minimise the depreciation on your pocket over 10 years as the vehicles would do half the mileage that one would do.

My 2cw.
    Last edited by Therackermann; 2021/05/05 at 10:45 PM.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Therackermann For This Useful Post:

I have had a D3 v8, D4 SDV6 and D4 3.0 SCV6... of the lot I would say the SCv6 is the best. the maintenance is not bad... No real issues come to mind besides the usual wear and tear items.

I think the SCV6 is one of the best kept secrets in the range, with the 8 speed transmission the consumption is surprisingly close to the SDV6 consumption. it feels a lot lighter so its easier to drive in town. I have driven the 5.0 v8 and its lots of fun, though the fuel consumption is no joke.. the SDv6 needs a lot of preventative work done to be reliable, i had to do the transmission oil replacement (Flush), transmission oil cooling lines - the developed a leak, coolant reservoir, a coolant flange (the part was cheap, the labour was painful), fuel filter housing and a door actuator. I was disappointed with the fuel consumption - coming from the v8 I was expecting the diesel to be much lighter but only got 100km more from a tank.

I dont do overlanding - just the odd trail, beaches and game parks so cant comment on that.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to revred For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by revred View Post
    I think the SCV6 is one of the best kept secrets in the range, with the 8 speed transmission the consumption is surprisingly close to the SDV6 consumption. it feels a lot lighter so its easier to drive in town. I have driven the 5.0 v8 and its lots of fun, though the fuel consumption is no joke..
    Most reviews say there is no difference in consumption between SCv6 and V8. What figures have you on the SCv6, real world not trip computer display.

the SDv6 needs a lot of preventative work done to be reliable, i had to do the transmission oil replacement (Flush), transmission oil cooling lines - the developed a leak, coolant reservoir, a coolant flange (the part was cheap, the labour was painful), fuel filter housing and a door actuator..
    These items all seem.commom to all models irrespective of sdv6, V8 or SCv6.

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Most reviews say there is no difference in consumption between SCv6 and V8. What figures have you on the SCv6, real world not trip computer display.

These items all seem.commom to all models irrespective of sdv6, V8 or SCv6.
    This too. I forgot about those in my first post. Besides handbrake and transfer case failure I also had a coolant leak, door actuator on 2 doors and bonnet catch failing on me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast