View Poll Results: Choose one to overland in:

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Older easier to fix 4x4

46 52.87%
  • Newer more reliable but complicated 4x4

41 47.13%
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default What do you feel more comfortable with, newer car, or an easier to fix car?

Going on a couple of threads here that are targeting the older, or almost very older 4x4s I have a question:

Do you feel more comfortable overlanding in:

• An older (very old) easier to fix 4x4 or,
    • A newer more reliable (because it is newer) 4x4, that might be more complicated "if" it breaks down

Me, I will go for the newer more reliable one..

I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

Default Re: What do you feel more comfortable with, newer car, or an easier to fix car?

No electronics.....

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LouisXander For This Useful Post:

Default Re: What do you feel more comfortable with, newer car, or an easier to fix car?

Quote Originally Posted by LouisXander View Post
    No electronics.....
    like an ox wagon?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Going on a couple of threads here that are targeting the older, or almost very older 4x4s I have a question:

Do you feel more comfortable overlanding in:

• An older (very old) easier to fix 4x4 or,
    • A newer more reliable (because it is newer) 4x4, that might be more complicated "if" it breaks down

Me, I will go for the newer more reliable one..
    What i can afford, including the repair and tow bills should it he needed. But I favour the pajero amd triton which are super reliable anyway, whether old or not...

Current: Pajero 3500 V6 24v LWB M/T Gen 2.5
    Previous: Pajero 3.2 Did LWB A/T
    Previous: Colt 2.8tdi D/C 4x4 Extreme

One Heart: Land Rover Defender Puma 110, 2 x TD5 110
    http://oneheartint.weebly.com/

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allandell For This Useful Post:

like an ox wagon?
    Jip, usually people who does serious offloading and prefer human input

I would not say older is less reliable
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweeling For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tweeling View Post
    I would not say older is less reliable

If you have an older Hilux with 300k km on, and a newer one with 30k km on.. which one would you deem more reliable?

List items that are more complicated on newer vehicles?
    Those who overland long distances.What gives problems on new cars as to old

Just look at Reenen's fleet. Most can be fixed with a "tang en draad". Its cheap and easy compared to nowadays' computerised vehicles.
    My Jap scrap I cannot complain about. I do not have the means to visit a dealership workshop, I do maintenance myself. Luckily the electronics is reliable (2009 & 262 000km). I would prefer a WLT 2,5 without electronics.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

If you have an older Hilux with 300k km on, and a newer one with 30k km on.. which one would you deem more reliable?
    I would prefer the 300 000km HiLux.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    I would prefer the 300 000km HiLux.
    Truly strange..

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

A new "old tech" LC 4.2

I have overlanded with relatively old cars, a Nissan Sani 3L V6 5 years old, broke down but could luckily fix it myself buying spares in Windhoek. Then did Moz and Bots in a 15-year old 80VX Cruiser, not an issue at all. Both these cars had less than 150Kkm.

My preference now is new'ish, less than 150Kkm, full service history and also preferably bought new. Trouble is the latter vehicles has so much electronics and tech, Jo Ave don't even know where to start looking if the pawpaw hits the fan
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    17 BL865 Ratel4 - the house on wheels
    2013 LC 200 4.6 Petrol V8 - Ex. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    1996 LC 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex
    1989 LC Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto - Ex
    1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - Ex

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

Truly strange..
    Check post#12.
    I am speaking from a diesel perspective firstly. Diesels last very long comparing to petrol vehicles without rebuilding engines.
    Next I assumed (yes, I know) that it would be an old pre-computerised vehicle.
    You must accept that some poeple love to work on their own vehicles but can only on old tech and others do not have the means to afford new tech.
    Last edited by Spiceman; 2021/05/04 at 09:57 AM.

Newer car by far, Old easy to fix ? sure if parts are available. Older spares are never on hand and it take two weeks to get.

even replacing a tyre of the same make and size is an issue these days if you don't have a common size.

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Again...not all men are created equal

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

I got the choice of a 1983 Landcruiser FJ60 and a 2012 FJ Cruiser.
    I would choose the FJ Cruiser, because it is more recent, got "only" 180k km on it and most of its components are driving around in V6 Prados across Africa.
    I would even choose the FJ over something like a Mercedes GL, Ford Everest or any other modern SUV, since the FJ in my opinion is a good middle ground between simplicity and relatively modern safety and reliability.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

The less km will be more reliable. Think that most new cars today will do 100k without any repairs or major repairs. Even Chinese products.

My experience on the many trips I have done that very few can do fault finding on even the most basic fuel injection and diesel fuel systems.
    Even simple electric problems is above the ability of most. The last true tang en draad 4x4`s like the SFA Hilux is becoming scarce. Since the mid 90`s there were few 4x4`s build that did not have EFI or some form of electronics to even look after DI.
    The term no electronics is only applicable to pre 1990 vehicles.

If one have a look at the most popular overland vehicles most of them can go over 500k km without a breech in reliability if well maintained.
    I also know that around 300k km on most 4x4`s serious maintenance needs to be done as many suspension and drivetrain components will need replacement.

Few years ago I were in the market for a newer 4x4. Had a very good look at the Patrols. Unfortunately most were available with km`s well beyond 250k km. Being almost 60 and and expectation that they should last for the next 12 to 15 years I went for low km 4x4`s.
    Some what shocking is that I have already done close to 120k combined km in them after 4 years of ownership.

Last thing is I do not plan to spend half the time on a trip repairing vehicles.

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

For me personally it will be 50-50 because I know very little about vehicle mechanics so anyway can't really fix anything myself.

If I owned a 20 year old 4x4 with 300k km on the clock for a couple of years then I would constantly do preventative maintenance on it, so I will be confident in taking it on a overland trip knowing what has been done and what hasn't. But different story if you buy a 20 year old vehicle today, give it a oil service and then take off on a trip.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

I think at the moment we have a great choice of vehicles available for that purpose of overlanding.
    You get those "in between" vehicles new, off the showroom floor, like the V6 or 1HZ 70 series Cruisers (Troopie!!!) and Nissan NP300.
    Its old (1HZ) or at least last generation, but proven engines and technology. But you get a brand new, 0 km vehicle.

I am struggling to find someone to even adjust the carburetor of my 2F engine properly here at the coast. They just don't get it right. Very few old toppies left that still got "that feel" for the sweet spot. The best bet are the dyno guys, most of them are about 12 and if you can't plug in a laptop they are lost.

In the 90s and early 2000s things like common rail diesel and EFI on petrol engines where suspicious new technologies, unproven. But by now I think engines like the D4D, 4.5 EFI, Nissan's 4.5, 4.8 petrol and YD25 and even the Toyota 1 GR-FE 4.0 V6 have shown that neither EFI nor common rail technology are really a source of concern when it comes to reliability.
    These days I think carburetors are more of a concern, unless you yourself can adjust them well enough to get going again. In addition to that, most carburetor engines these days would have seen their fair share of mileage and are from that point of view more likely to give trouble than one of the above options with far lower mileage.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

31. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    Check post#12.
    I am speaking from a diesel perspective firstly. Diesels last very long comparing to petrol vehicles without rebuilding engines.
    Next I assumed (yes, I know) that it would be an old pre-computerised vehicle.
    You must accept that some poeple love to work on their own vehicles but can only on old tech and others do not have the means to afford new tech.
    I think these days diesel and petrol engines last equally long before rebuilding. Patrol and LC petrol engine can go on and on without the need of rebuilding.
    There was a period where diesel injector problems made some diesel engines less reliable than petrol engines.

Those days that diesel engines far outlasted petrol engines are gone, EFI on the petrol side and higher RPM for modern diesel engines have closed the gap, I think.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast