View Poll Results: Choose one to overland in:

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • Older easier to fix 4x4

46 52.87%
  • Newer more reliable but complicated 4x4

41 47.13%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: What do you feel more comfortable with, newer car, or an easier to fix car?

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Ek gee nie regtig om. Ek sal met my c190 1980 isuzu, of my 1978 w123 200 gaan toer. Net so maklik met een van my safaris, of patrols. Baie maklik met die v9x (wat al oud is, maar in my boeke “nuwe” tegnologie is).

Ek gee regtig nie om nie. Wat ook al gebeur, dit is deel van die adventure.

Dalk is ek lus om die vw autovilla te start, en n lang trip te begin. Dit is die fun.

Ek is ietwat van n kar verslaafde. Buiten werks voertuie, het ek ongeveer 30 persoonlikke voertuie. Ek sal in enige een klim met minder as n week se voorbereideing, en n 10 000km roadtrip doen. Verkieslik alles grondpad.
    Ek dink die Forum sal saamstem dat jy in 'n ander klas is. Daars bitter min mense wat sommer in enige 30 jaar oue voertuig op hulle werf kan klim sonder om te worry of hulle dit sal maak.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

Default Re: What do you feel more comfortable with, newer car, or an easier to fix car?

Quote Originally Posted by fixit View Post
    Each to his own I'd say. Me, I would rather fix my Defender in the bundus, than be stuck to wait for help and get a massive bill attached. Also the 10/15k/ month on installments for a holiday vehicle is a definite "NO". I carry a spare alt, starter, diesel pump, water pump and the usual belts. Other than that it only needs 1 wire to run for the cut off valve. I even tossed the power steering out and went manual. I keep a few of the usual wheel bearing in the tool box as well. It gives me peace of mind knowing that I should be able to fix most of the possible things that can go wrong. When we get home, I hose the car inside and out. No worries. I always say to my wife: imagine if I had to spend 10k/ month on the Defender. I would run out of things to replace?
    All of the items mentioned can be repaired in the bush on a modern vehicle as well.

Any Cruiser L76 would work for overlanding >> like those Voetspore Jobs

Ek sal liewers in n R30 000 se ou voertuig toer, en as ek so breek dat ek nie kan fix, n vriend met n sleepwa laat kom, as wat ek glad nie toer nie, want ek kan nie n R750 000 70 series bekostig nie.
    Horses for courses.

En, behalwe dit, ek love ou karre, en ou karre toer net lekkerder.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

I have a new, old design vehicle.
    Kobus

Quote Originally Posted by reenen View Post
    ek sal liewers in n r30 000 se ou voertuig toer, en as ek so breek dat ek nie kan fix, n vriend met n sleepwa laat kom, as wat ek glad nie toer nie, want ek kan nie n r750 000 70 series bekostig nie.
    Horses for courses.

amen!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Ek sal liewers in n R30 000 se ou voertuig toer, en as ek so breek dat ek nie kan fix, n vriend met n sleepwa laat kom, as wat ek glad nie toer nie, want ek kan nie n R750 000 70 series bekostig nie.
    Horses for courses.

Yeah you might like it to tour with but the fuel cost will be something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    List items that are more complicated on newer vehicles?
    Those who overland long distances.What gives problems on new cars as to old
    common rail systems
    Turbos
    ECUs
    general electromech complexity
    etc
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post
    Please explain. I don’t understand your statement.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Reenen For This Useful Post:

... get the best of both worlds ...
    buy the Isuzu DMax 250 Standard Base Model :
    Direct injection, 8 valve / no common rail
    and evidently only mild turbo assist
    etc ...

... my bet is it will outlast nearly all other
    more complex new bakkies ..
    ( ... but just a diff-lock 4*2 ... ! )

I would only want a turbo on a button press
    .... like James Bonds cars w super-chargers ...
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2021/05/17 at 09:15 AM.

The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

I work in some of the remotest places up in Africa and have been in this situation.

New modern vehicle, ECU packed up in the middle of nowhere, no cell reception. We where stuck for a week.

After this I bought a 4.5 1fz petrol land cruiser 70 with a carburetor, rebuilt the entire vehicle myself top to bottom, so I know how it goes together, know the weak points and fixed all worn items. Carry tools and spares and (touch wood) never been in that situation again.

Newer vehicles, in my opinion are nicer in town, the occasional remote trip and long distance, they drive nicely and have all the creature comforts these old beasts don't have. but to explore new sites and work alone in the middle of nowhere for months at a time, an easy to work on simple design vehicle is what I use.
    Last edited by Warrenod; 2021/05/17 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Spelling error

I would think that if the battery +/or alternator +/or starter died in an old Series 3 Diesel
    one could probly get it started (with the crank if necessary) and run without electrics as they even have mechanical fuel pumps ?
    ( may struggle w cold engine/weather ?)
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2021/05/17 at 11:50 AM.

The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

Quote Originally Posted by BushNomad View Post
    I would think that if the battery +/or alternator +/or starter died in an old Series 3 Diesel
    one could probly get it started (with the crank if necessary) and run without electrics as they even have mechanical fuel pumps ?
    ( may struggle w cold engine/weather ?)
    Same is true for a whole bunch of the older diesel vehicles. This was a significant factor in my decision to swop to diesel.
    But I do think a lot of them would need to be towed to start if you can't glow the plugs.
    Also, from an overlanding perspective, and admittedly this depends very much on your diet, being without power could have serious consequences on the trip. I have lots of problems with allergies and need fresh meat, fruit and veggies. I just can't operate on bread and bully beef like in the old days.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2021/05/18 at 10:37 AM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Have you ever calculated how far you can drive every month on the cost of a new 4x4's monthly installment?
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Same is true for a whole bunch of the older diesel vehicles. This was a significant factor in my decision to swop to diesel.
    But I do think a lot of them would need to be towed to start if you can't glow the plugs.
    Also, from an overlanding perspective, and admittedly this depends very much on your diet, being without power could have serious consequences on the trip. I have lots of problems with allergies and need fresh meat, fruit and veggies. I just can't operate on bread and bully beef like in the old days.
    ... well I do carry a catapult ( mainly for pesky baboons) some wild fruits can be had from the bundu and we often carry semi dry bean sprouts ... just add water ! 😂
    f

The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

19. The Following User Says Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

Ek kan net raakskiet met goed wat vissiere het.
    Ek het ophou compound boog skiet omdat dit te duur is as jy heeltyd jou pyle met die volgende pyl raakskiet, maar ek het ophou skiet met ketties en haelgewere omdat ek letterlik niks raakgeskiet kry nie...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

d"
    Last edited by grips; 2021/05/19 at 05:00 AM.

Lets say a new similar car costs you R 300k more or a payment of R 6000pm.

For the yearly amount of R72k you can ride many many miles.

Nearly no depreciation only maintenance.

I love a new car but love my pocket more.
    Zerubbabel 2 the 2008 4.8 turbo Patrol with some kit
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel’s way! (Zech 4:7)

Quote Originally Posted by BushNomad View Post
    common rail systems
    Turbos
    ECUs
    general electromech complexity
    etc
    None of these failed on any of my 4x4’s... but then again I never drove a Land Rover product

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KurtG For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Have you ever calculated how far you can drive every month on the cost of a new 4x4's monthly installment?
    So if you are grappling with buying a brand new car and such a thoughts lingers around, don't buy it. You probably are better off getting a nearly new one, and use the difference/change to fuel it.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast