Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Default Re: Advice for my daughter.

Could be that a security guard on a mine earns more than usual They could even supply housing ,for all you know.
    You might be pleasantly surprised.
    2003 Jeep KJ 2.5 CRD Manual
    2003 Jeep KJ 2.8 CRD Automatic

Louis Slater

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zoutpansberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfus View Post
    Do you mean Postmasburg ?
    Obviously he means Postmasburg. Give the man a break, hes stressing about his daughter.
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    This thread was not to judge her or her boyfriend . people may also think Im a moegoe because Im a plumber and work in sh1t sometimes.I am not going to deny I have my doubts about him but I believe he will be a good Dad and my grandchild deserves to have the love of her Dad. Let him prove himself.

He got her there safely so its a good start.
    She has a new adventure in her life and hopefully will make the most of it.

Where is the closest place to get a learners license in Postmasburg?
    If she wants the learners she will find the place
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Lot's of enthesis on getting a drivers license it seams.
    I'm going to take a wild guess here that she has the idea in her head that getting a drivers license will allow her to easily land a job / not having a license is preventing her from getting a job, or she has simply being using the drivers license as a excuse for not looking for a job all this time.

Just saying, I wouldn't let my girlfriend and young child fly alone to a unknown place, heck save up for another month or 2 and go fetch them whether by car or just fly with them to help with the bags etc.

She's 20, she was born with a cellphone in hand, I agree, if she wants something she can find it on her own. Might sound like tough love, but if she can't handle it then maybe she shouldn't have moved out of her parents house at the age of 20.

Strongs with the situation and don't let it eat you up. I think going to visit as soon as she has settled will give you and your wife some piece of mind.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2021/05/05 at 07:54 PM.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

She wants to get her drivers eventually so that she can drive her own car that she bought when she was eighteen. With covid and a baby it hasnt been easy to get her learners.Im actually asking that question, she hasnt asked it. Im just hoping its easier there than it is here in Durban.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:

In NC everybody needs a license. She has to have one. Especially every female has to have one in this country. I call it ### job for a female to be without. Also who generally dinks more - male or female? I have partly financed already one license (extended family) and the next will be the same in about years time. Just to prevent that ### job plus unlicensed mother transporting baby/child.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

Plunger hier loop so `n paar mooi gespierde Kalahari boertjies rond. Dalk eindig die storie goed.

Sorry English does not sound right for the above

11. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Plunger hier loop so `n paar mooi gespierde Kalahari boertjies rond. Dalk eindig die storie goed.

Maar kan hulle in Engels vry ,

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    Yes en No

Starting to get off the topic again but some of those farmers are not that honest. The word is that the biggest sheep farmer is buying cheap stock .

In general I find people in these rural areas like NC helpful and friendly. We go to the area in question regularly. It applies also there (all colors). Unfortunately there are not so good people also like in all areas.

Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

Don't know how to withdraw my thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post

17. The Following User Says Thank You to caesarcp For This Useful Post:

Spoke to family. Kuruman and Vryburg bad with street crime - mainly on the main road. There should not be a reason to go to those towns. We have driven through fairly recently. We did not stop in Kuruman the last time. There is a brand new shopping center outside the town so we stopped there. Smash and grab. Postmasburg is OK. License Kathu or Postmasburg and not Kuruman. Lime Acres and Danielskuil are also OK but do not blink your eyes. If you do you have passed the town. Those two exist because of a diamond mine and an open cast mine to make burned lime.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

Oom Christo, om eerlik te wees, dit klink ook nie te goed in Afrikaans nie
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by willemviljoen View Post
    Ja swaer...
    Last edited by hbannink; 2021/05/06 at 12:21 PM.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daars nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Some of you guys are really giving S#1T advice here.

Just a few points to trigger some thoughts:

- There is no point of trying to talk a daughter out of her plans when she has made up her mind.

- A security guard might be on the lower scale of income generation, but he might be a good person nevertheless.

- Living in a small town can have its advantages, especially when you are not in the "party scene" and want to build a home.

- with 20 years you are not a child anymore but a young adult (and in this case a mother)

- The OP didn't ask for assessment of the boyfriend nor the recipe to return his daughter.

- It is more important to establish or preserve a relationship if you want to see the grand child(ren) again.

........ anyway, just as some food for thoughts.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

25. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Yoy Plunger, I cannot comment on the area but definitely no judgement on your daughter from me. My kids are great; but mad, bone headed. My son was so involved in sport he neglected his studies - took him 6 or 7 years but he did become an SA champ along the way, plus a few difficult relationships. Then he gets a good job, retrenched in SA but offered something overseas (UK, NZ or Oz) but vacillates here and along comes covid, trapping him. Now he is busy "farming", fishing and hunting (bush pigs right now), season for kudu etc in a month or so in EC and is set on becoming a PH and owning a lodge (wife and I are non-hunters). Daughter also took forever in her studies, is in CT but has been robbed a few times which has destroyed her confidence and made her very anxious and nervous. Her overseas move stymied by covid as she is gradually getting eased out of her job by AA, but into sport. Both are often travelling which is nerve wracking and nether looking like settling or being good earners, both in early 30's. No children, whew.

Why the litany; I could never and still can't, tell these kids much at all; even the obvious. Too late to give orders now and, as commented, it just will alienate them. As noted, limit financial support (maybe a driving school and any study plus cell phone to stay in touch?) but pour on the emotional and life skills assistance (finding accommodation, jobs, life coaching, mentoring etc etc). Suggest her looking for work or get involved in sport or similar (not easy with a one year old I know) to learn and meet people. She sounds brave as well so encourage her to make friends (play groups) and look for opportunity (easy to say; not so easy to do). Visit if you can, try not be judgmental or compare. It is truly a time for prayer to any god that will listen and keep her safe and give you the fortitude to endure this, day to day (my hair is snow white). I feel your anxiety but it too shall pass.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to mudgrubber For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Oom Christo, om eerlik te wees, dit klink ook nie te goed in Afrikaans nie
    Ek sien die Fin sukkel ook om te verstaan.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

This looking down on others is something that is just not on in my book, judging someone on what work he does or what car he drives or on a criterium that you want to without knowing that person is........if I say what I think I would be as .....

Plunger, being a father is a tough job and by the looks you have stepped up to the plate. These little creatures come in to the world without a manual, shucks they don't even bring their own pants but one thing is for certain they remain your child for ever regardless of how old they are or what they are doing. Being the father of a daughter is a much more difficult task than boys, I have 3 boys and I am still concerned and worried about them if it was daughters .......... Most difficult part about being a parent is to stand back and watch them battle and even make mistakes.
    Like I said before stand by her and assist where you can and be there for her if she needs a shoulder or friendly ear.

Name:  182418403_4612345835446249_839056249342280251_n.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  38.7 KB
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

31. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5