Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Advice for my daughter.

My daughter is twenty. She has a boyfriend living in Postmasburg.He works as a security guard on a mine. She is going up there to live with him. They have very limited financial recourses as she is unemployed and he already has another daughter to also look after.

She is flying up with my grandchild today and I am concerned . She doesn't open up about what's going on there as she knows I disprove of the circumstances. I am concerned for their safety and would like to know if anyone knows what Postmansburg is like. Is it a safe place in general.

Also she is obviously limited to what she can take on a plane. If I have to get stuff up to her what would you recommend in the way of doing this.
    Are there recognized courier company's that do this trip and who could you possibly recommend.

I would like to know what Postmansburg is all about . Do they have a place close where she could try get her learners and then eventually her drivers .Its a serious mission trying to get a learners license in Durban with the queues. Anyone on the forum live up there ?
    Last edited by plunger; 2021/05/04 at 09:29 AM.

Default Re: Advice for my daughter.

Do you mean Postmasburg ?
    Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    My daughter is twenty. She has a boyfriend living in Postmansburg.He works as a security guard on a mine. She is going up there to live with him. They have very limited financial recourses as she is unemployed and he already has another daughter to also look after.

She is flying up with my grandchild today and I am concerned . She doesn't open up about what's going on there as she knows I disprove of the circumstances. I am concerned for their safety and would like to know if anyone knows what Postmansburg is like. Is it a safe place in general.

Also she is obviously limited to what she can take on a plane. If I have to get stuff up to her what would you recommend in the way of doing this.
    Are there recognized courier company's that do this trip and who could you possibly recommend.

I would like to know what Postmansburg is all about . Do they have a place close where she could try get her learners and then eventually her drivers .Its a serious mission trying to get a learners license in Durban with the queues. Anyone on the forum live up there ?
    It is a long road to eternity, enjoy the journey.

Subaru XV Silver 2019 (Ghost In the Machine)

Postmasburg is one of the bigger towns there is in the Norhern Cape and there is quite a lot of mines around, it is not far from Kathu. There will definately be a place where she could get her drivers license. I think relatively safe but there will be a lot of petty crime due to the mines just like Kuruman. There ia a big Toyota Dealership and everything else you need. Not sure whether there is a Woolies foods yet. But look there is a member here that recently bought a Snowmaster Freezer and had a thread about the size of the freezer.
    Herman Fourie

2016 Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Dc
    2019 Wildebeest Serengeti

Ive done some work there a couple times, and I have a friend that works on the mine and has his family there.
    It doesnt seem to be an overly terrible place. I sure as hell couldnt live there, but, it seems ok, and my mate loves it - it has everything he needs - several pubs, a shooting range, and hunting almost on the doorstep apparently.

Is it possible to edit your title - maybe put Postmasburg in the title.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 3.0 CRD

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfus View Post
    ai

I drive a five cylinder bakkie and tow an army inspired van.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Postmasburg is beautiful, friendly people and a great community. Just regular South African folk.
    Just outside town - one of the most important iron ore mines Kolomela, is operated by the Anglo America group company Kumba Mines. So no, it isn't a small backward town. It has grown substantially since the mine came into operation. My family are well known farmers and business owners in Postmasburg, and I would move there without thinking twice.
    ZS1ETphonehome

Oh dear I got the name wrong. I need to google earth it to get a feel
    of where it is. Apparently the airport is two hours away. I think it is a manganese mine and it sounds like its not owned by S Africans but I know so little I could be wrong. I was told there is only one pub there . That might be a good thing

I work there around one day a week at one of the mines.

The town has a small shopping center with a Shoprite, spur, kfc etc. In town other basics.

The town exploded in size when Kumba started a new Iron Ore mine. Assmang operate the older Iron Ore mine.

The town, just like other small towns has a dysfunctional municipality, so roads etc are not maintained and the mining companies usually has to step in to assist.

Personally, I am not too fond of the town.

As mentioned, a lot of petty theft and crime.
    Toyota RAV4
    Chevrolet Utility

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Duka For This Useful Post:

Kimberley is 2 hours one way - Upington 2 hours the opposite way. Bloem about 4 hour's drive.

While I love Postmasburg - I would not want to live on the mines. I hope your daughter will be okey.
    ZS1ETphonehome

Oh dear I got the name wrong. I need to google earth it to get a feel
    of where it is. Apparently the airport is two hours away. I think it is a manganese mine and it sounds like its not owned by S Africans but I know so little I could be wrong. I was told there is only one pub there . That might be a good thing
    There is an airport at Postmasburg (Tommy's Field). It is a small private field, but I don't know if there are flights in there other than private and the mines. If you're talking a bout a field 2 hours away, then it is probably Kimberley.

Postmasburg is a typical rural town, and I believe a lot safer than places like Kuruman. Not a bad place at all.

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C Africa For This Useful Post:

Plunger, you seem to be in two minds about the future of your daughter. Then you don't have a feel for the place she is going to live in.

The worry is natural as like the financial situation of an income from a low paying job and to maintain the live of a family of 4 (so far).

Best way to find peace of mind is to plan a trip to visit her in the near future, so you could handle the essential of her belongings and the same time allow yourselves to assess the town and surrounds.

It would also give your daughter a kind of appreciation that you accept her decision and that she can be open to you when the need occurs.

You can't change her decision, nor can you influence the outcome, but you can find a way to look to her support and be informed if the need occurs.

Plan a week and book yourselves into the local hotel, best way to get accustomed to what live is like in that place.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

There are flights to Kimberley. We have flown there. Family living in Danielskuil 60 km from Postmasburg always flies to Kimberley. Some mines have their own planes but to get to those is not too easy. I did fly one time.

Street crime. Kuruman is worse.

Night time driving on those NC roads is one thing I do not want to do. I have had to do couple times. Trucks, pot holes animals and idiots.

Bigger shopping is in Kimberley. State hospital there has two sides. The better side cost a bit. Family members have been on that side. Bigger ops are in Bloemfontein - even private hospital cases. Hospital plan as a minimum is recommended. Cold during winter. Hot during summer.

I like NC. Would I live there permanently? No. For a hunter with some connections it is a very good place.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2003 Grand Cherokee 4.7l
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car 8)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jouko For This Useful Post:

There is an airport just north of Kathu with Airlink flights from OR Tambo. My wife flew there about 3 months ago. I drove through Postmasburg and Kathu this week, and passed the airport (on the VanZylsrus road). Roads in Postmasburg is bumpy with potholes, main routes in good condition. Lots and LOTS of mining trucks on the main roads, I would not want my daughter driving if it could be avoided.

Of the 3 mining towns Kuruman, Kathu, Postmasburg, the best is Kathu, followed by Postmasburg. Kuruman is a no-go, I know people living there and he does not allow females to visit the town unaccompanied.

Use Google Maps' street view to look at photos of the town. However, these are 11 years old (taken by Google for the soccer world cup)
    Louis Farrell

Plunger,

I commend your concern for your daughter.

In general mining communities look after each other. She will most likely make friends with some of the other wives over the next number of months and form some sense of community. As always, lack of resources will put tension into a life, but we also started with very little when we set out.

In general it's a bit cheaper to live in small towns than it is in the city (rent etc), so they may actually be better off there. The guy may find a mentor that will help mature him and it may end up being the best thing that ever happened to them. There are a lot of good things about living in smaller communities that outstrip petty crime.

Keep trusting for the best possible outcome and keep on building the relationship to the best you are able to. You want to create a safe space for your daughter to return if necessary. In the meantime you have to respect her choice, even if you don't agree with it and you need to communicate that to her.

19. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

You can courier stuff there, these guys are about the cheapest in SA and no account needed, 30kg should be around R250-300 :
    https://www.xoc.co.za/

My daughter is twenty. She has a boyfriend living in Postmasburg.He works as a security guard on a mine. She is going up there to live with him. They have very limited financial recourses as she is unemployed and he already has another daughter to also look after.

Wrt your daughter, pity you did not offer to baby sit the little one until she settled in. Unfortunately you can say what you want but kids will play the I'M AN ADULT, so you can only give moral support. The worst part is, you don't want to lose daughter and grandchild through an argument. I do hope the boyfriend will look after both and make a go of his life for all 4 of them.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

22. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

I hope that all works out for the best for all involved, especially you Plunger.

Experienced the similar when my niece decided to do her community service in Calvinia. We did not know the area and we were not prepared to let her journey alone. So we packed alles in the EcoSport and make the trek. A stay over at Bloem then the long, long, long haul to Calvinia about 8 hours later. Managed to get her settled in and do some shopping before a nights rest and making our way to Bloem.

Despite the unpleasantness, we were comforted knowing where she would be and that she would be safe.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to NoelN For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfus View Post
    Regtig Die man is bekommerd oor die toekoms van sy dogter en jy oor 'n spelfout....

I lived in Kathu and went for work to Postmas once a week for around 2 years.
    Unfortunately that was around 2014 to 2016, but back then we didn't have any issues in Postmasburg with crime at our shop.

The standout memory for me is the locals.
    If your daughter can make the right friends there it can be a nice place to live in.

Strongs it must be a very difficult position to be in.
    Jean van Niekerk
    105 Cruiser
    Amarok AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Plunger, you seem to be in two minds about the future of your daughter. Then you don't have a feel for the place she is going to live in.

The worry is natural as like the financial situation of an income from a low paying job and to maintain the live of a family of 4 (so far).

Best way to find peace of mind is to plan a trip to visit her in the near future, so you could handle the essential of her belongings and the same time allow yourselves to assess the town and surrounds.

It would also give your daughter a kind of appreciation that you accept her decision and that she can be open to you when the need occurs.

You can't change her decision, nor can you influence the outcome, but you can find a way to look to her support and be informed if the need occurs.

Plan a week and book yourselves into the local hotel, best way to get accustomed to what live is like in that place.
    Not so easy to take a week off to do this with my business but it does appeal to me. She may think I'm imposing on her as we are not really seeing eye to eye and I dont get on with her boyfriend who is twelve years older than her. I hope that changes.
    I am concerned for her and more so for my grandchild who I will miss dearly.

My daughter has chosen to make her life real tough and it also makes my life tough financially. I would like to turn the taps off but then my wife will want to divorce me so I am in a spot.

We may be at a low point in our relationship but being a Dad who cares will never stop.
    It seems the mines are owned by Russians but I may be totally wrong. Can foreigners own mines . I think its manganese.How long does it take to drive up there and what are the roads like.
    Is there anything to see in that part of the world.?

28. The Following User Says Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast