Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Providing Water To Cats In CKGR?

I've just read an interesting post in the CKGR Sightings FaceBook Group. I am not certain if I'm allowed to post the link here as I believe one needs to be a member of the FaceBook group to view. A member posted a video of 3 leopard, female and cubs in his Deception Camp one night and a further young male leopard in his Kori Camp the following night. He was able to entice these leopard to his camp by providing water in a bowl for the leopard to drink. His assertion was that the water allows them to drink and move on. He further asserts that the Chief Ranger at the Matswere Gate (named on FaceBook) advised him to keep using this practice. Surely this is not pretty shoddy advice, there have been many articles on habituation of cats in KTP, Mabuasehube and CKGR warning against this type of behaviour. What are other members thoughts?
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Providing Water To Cats In CKGR?

John, I am sure most forum members share your disapproval of this practice. I would be confident that claims of approval from rangers are absolute bollocks!

Habituating the big cats in the greater Kalahari to enter campsites looking for scarce drinking water, seems to be a fairly common malpractice and is an accident waiting to happen. There are other, older threads on this forum covering this big cat habituation.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

That’s a silly idea.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    I've just read an interesting post in the CKGR Sightings FaceBook Group. I am not certain if I'm allowed to post the link here as I believe one needs to be a member of the FaceBook group to view. A member posted a video of 3 leopard, female and cubs in his Deception Camp one night and a further young male leopard in his Kori Camp the following night. He was able to entice these leopard to his camp by providing water in a bowl for the leopard to drink. His assertion was that the water allows them to drink and move on. He further asserts that the Chief Ranger at the Matswere Gate (named on FaceBook) advised him to keep using this practice. Surely this is not pretty shoddy advice, there have been many articles on habituation of cats in KTP, Mabuasehube and CKGR warning against this type of behaviour. What are other members thoughts?
    I saw this video over the weekend, and was waiting for the backlash.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JadeDsantos For This Useful Post:

I am running a debate with the poster on FB about the malpractice of feeding wild animals.
    His justification that a ranger who apparently saw the video at Matswere gate is a bit far fetched and if so, he should be named and reprimanded for assistance to create "problem animals" which will backfire in the future.

All arguments of saying the cats would have sniffed around the camp for longer, would they not have found the water is probably true, but they would have found out pretty soon that a camp site is not a feeding station.

It is that sort of behaviour that is creating long term issues.

The guy (Bruwer du Preez) posting the video is known for his "spectacular" wildlife sightings in CKGR and clearly enjoys the status and the clicks going with it so he will go to lengths justifying his actions.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    ....His justification that a ranger who apparently saw the video at Matswere gate is a bit far fetched and if so, he should be named and reprimanded for assistance to create "problem animals" which will backfire in the future.
    Agreed the 'ranger' should be brought to book. That is seriously very bad advise, if true off course.

But then, not all staff one finds at a park gate are actual rangers. Some are just admin desk jockeys. Could well be one of them who made the alleged statement.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

The response posts on the thread confirm my thoughts and feelings, I thought this was "too good to be true". To actually name the Chief Ranger, assuming that is indeed his name and that he condoned this action, creates a dangerous precedent. In my view the debate entered by Walter (Kalahari Safari) is the right way to go, these actions should be challenged. I wish I could say eliminated but I am not naïve enough to think that this is possible.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

From a brief snoop on the FB poster's page it seems he is also one of these backyard big cat aficionados. You know the type, tiger in the lounge, habituated to humans right up until it takes a chomp out of your child and then it suddenly just went rogue

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

If you want to feed and water a cat, GET A HOUSE CAT!!!!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

I've just been back on to the CKGR Sightings FaceBook page, I'm not certain but the post appears to have been deleted/removed, I'm not certain why. I had commented on the post as had others off the forum criticizing the action.
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tedx2 For This Useful Post:

All these Facebook groups have a set of rules and an administrator. I would guess that perhaps Bruwer du Preez was thought by the group administrator to have broken the terms governing membership of that group. Thus deletion of the thread after plenty of critical responses.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

It's been said by others - agree completely.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to alannymarce For This Useful Post:

It just saddens me hearing these incidents

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Habituating wild animals always ends in tears, stitches or a sticky end.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Spliffcat For This Useful Post:

What a bizarre practice, not much different to baiting big cats and hyena with meat and bones leftovers from dinner. What some people would do for an "whow" photo and few clicks and likes on social media channels! Disgusting.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ortelius For This Useful Post:

And more than likely when someone does get injured by a habituated predator, it won’t be the one that habituated it, but rather, the majority that follow the rules.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

That's so sad, and so stupid! Even more stupid if actually encouraged by a ranger who should be put under arrest.
    From a "zoologist" point of view, one should also know that leopards are not water-dependent like lions are (although again, the kalahari lions could easily survive for a couple of days without drinking). Particularly those from the kalahari or arabian deserts region get most of the moister from feeding and need to actually drink water not more than once a week/ten days or so.
    As other have said already, get water for the cats is asking for serious trouble. The cat gets the impression that it could drink more often and at certain places (campsites). Could become aggressive especially during dry season where it wouldn't agree to wait more days as it usually would beeing desert-adapted.
    I'm sorry, but you have to be a moron to even think about it.
    Good that you posted the question in doubt, good on you Tedx2
    Last edited by Nambots; 2021/05/03 at 08:54 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Nambots For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    I am running a debate with the poster on FB about the malpractice of feeding wild animals.
    His justification that a ranger who apparently saw the video at Matswere gate is a bit far fetched and if so, he should be named and reprimanded for assistance to create "problem animals" which will backfire in the future.

All arguments of saying the cats would have sniffed around the camp for longer, would they not have found the water is probably true, but they would have found out pretty soon that a camp site is not a feeding station.

It is that sort of behaviour that is creating long term issues.

The guy (Bruwer du Preez) posting the video is known for his "spectacular" wildlife sightings in CKGR and clearly enjoys the status and the clicks going with it so he will go to lengths justifying his actions.
    Next time they'll sniff around all night wondering where the water has gone. Quite a while ago there was someone who described burying chunks of left over braai meat around the campsite. I don't think this is that much worse.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

Original FB post in CKGR Sightings has indeed disappeared.

So my debate with the original poster has been terminated.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    TOTALLY not true. I know the New Park manager at Matswere and he would absolutely not give permission to this. These animals are adapted to this environment and do not need to be fed anything. We will check the name of the ranger from that post and follow it up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast