Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    70
    Posts
    7,067
    Thanked: 1326

    Default Kazungula Bridge and 1-stop terminal opening on 12-May 2021

    As above, good news coming.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ghanzi, Botswana
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,056
    Thanked: 1258

    Default Re: Kazungula Bridge and 1-stop terminal opening on 12-May 2021

    Finally these truckers who que in a line to cross the border with a phanton,for two weeks can finally get relieved. Now let the train railway construction starts,that connects Mosetse-Kazungula, that will subsequently connect the two countries.
    Last edited by PAT n WOLF; 2021/05/03 at 05:36 AM.

    _______________________________
    2011
    VW Amarok BIturbo TDI 4Motion (SOLD Dec 2020)
    2019 Land Cruiser 79 4.2 S/C
    _______________________________

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    70
    Posts
    7,067
    Thanked: 1326

    Default Re: Kazungula Bridge and 1-stop terminal opening on 12-May 2021

    Toll fees applicable on the bridge as of 11-May 2021 (opening day)





    ... just a wee bit more expensive than the pontoon
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Ljubljana, Slovenia
    Age
    57
    Posts
    969
    Thanked: 907

    Default Re: Kazungula Bridge and 1-stop terminal opening on 12-May 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    ... just a wee bit more expensive than the pontoon
    Particularly if you are riding a horse, or even worse - if traveling with a horse with a trailer.
    24 hours in a day.... 24 beer in a case.... Coincidence?
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    My blog: Our African Ramblings (https://safaribug.wordpress.com/)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ghanzi, Botswana
    Age
    42
    Posts
    2,056
    Thanked: 1258

    Default Re: Kazungula Bridge and 1-stop terminal opening on 12-May 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by ortelius View Post
    Particularly if you are riding a horse, or even worse - if traveling with a horse with a trailer.
    Hahahah at first I thought they meant a living horse, only to find out they meant Truck. I was gonna ride a horse to Zambia and back just over the bridge.

    _______________________________
    2011
    VW Amarok BIturbo TDI 4Motion (SOLD Dec 2020)
    2019 Land Cruiser 79 4.2 S/C
    _______________________________

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to PAT n WOLF For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Kloof
    Age
    65
    Posts
    483
    Thanked: 2124

    Default Re: Kazungula Bridge and 1-stop terminal opening on 12-May 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Kalahari Safari View Post
    Toll fees applicable on the bridge as of 11-May 2021 (opening day)





    ... just a wee bit more expensive than the pontoon
    But provided that the processing of the border formalities is up to scratch, it will allow a much faster flow of traffic.

    SA may need to capacitate its border crossings into Botswana.

    2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    67
    Posts
    5,148
    Thanked: 6180

    Default Re: Kazungula Bridge and 1-stop terminal opening on 12-May 2021

    There are some interesting implications about these recent border developments. Together with the Kazungula Bridge opening is an announcement involving the SA/Zimbabwe border at Beit Bridge.

    It was announced that there will be increased delays over the next 6 weeks at Beit Bridge as the new extensive border upgrades on the Zimbabwe side are commissioned. The implication is that after the upgrade is commissioned, passage through the Beit Bridge border will be significantly speeded up compared to the past.

    Further consideration is the fact that with the Kazungula Bridge opening, a significant number of the heavy trucks going to Zambia, will choose to travel via Botswana rather than via Beit Bridge and Zimbabwe. The traffic through Beit Bridge should therefore significantly decrease. At present many rather enter Zim via Botswana because of Beit Bridge's bad reputation for chaos.

    Might these two factors mean that the logjam at Beit Bridge is relieved and it could become the border of choice for entering Zim from SA?
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:


  12. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gaborone
    Age
    70
    Posts
    7,067
    Thanked: 1326

    Default Re: Kazungula Bridge and 1-stop terminal opening on 12-May 2021

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    There are some interesting implications about these recent border developments. Together with the Kazungula Bridge opening is an announcement involving the SA/Zimbabwe border at Beit Bridge.

    It was announced that there will be increased delays over the next 6 weeks at Beit Bridge as the new extensive border upgrades on the Zimbabwe side are commissioned. The implication is that after the upgrade is commissioned, passage through the Beit Bridge border will be significantly speeded up compared to the past.

    Further consideration is the fact that with the Kazungula Bridge opening, a significant number of the heavy trucks going to Zambia, will choose to travel via Botswana rather than via Beit Bridge and Zimbabwe. The traffic through Beit Bridge should therefore significantly decrease. At present many rather enter Zim via Botswana because of Beit Bridge's bad reputation for chaos.

    Might these two factors mean that the logjam at Beit Bridge is relieved and it could become the border of choice for entering Zim from SA?

    It's left to be seen.
    The road conditions through Botswana are not necessary good enough to cater for the new traffic volume.
    The stretch from Mochudi to Dibete, plus from F/Town to Nata are rather narrow and break up on the shoulders.
    Then on the Zambian side the part from Mazabuka to Kafue was under repair, it might be okay by now, but before it was an ongoing disaster especially through the mountain part.
    Word will most certainly spread fast.

    Will check it out next week, but take the 4x4 just in case
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •