Default Ranger 3.2 engine failures in UK

Morning all. I have a 3.2l 4x4 Super Cab bought new in 2014 which is based here in Cape Town and which has done believe it or not only just over 70000 kms from new. It carries a North Star slide on camper so is only used for camping trips hence the low kms. Right now it's performing impeccably and that 5 cylinder is pulling like a train better than ever. I've had no engine issues with at all and it gets its routine services on time with mid service interval oil/filter changes in between. And almost from day one it has carried the camper at close to max GVM only occasionally taking it off for short periods. So when it has been driven it's work reasonably hard.

However, my son in the UK who runs a horticultural business towing plants etc in a 4 wheel trailer almost all on tar has had two 3.2 Rangers over the last few years and both have given him major engine problems. The last one, fortunately still under warranty, resulting in a total loss of power, engine disintegration, oil all over the show etc. He has been told by several people in the industry as well as AA call out guys over there that this is indeed a significant issue with not just the Ford 3.2 but other engines in the Duratorq range such as the 4 cylinder diesels used in the 1000s of Transit vans on the roads there (and of course in Puma versions of the last Defender of which I've had two in the past). My son's last incident was an example of the coolant warning light flashing momentarily once when he was driving and which he saw. He continued driving when it remained off, watching it continuously, but the engine just suddenly let go whilst on the freeway driving at around 110 kms/hr, lots of steam, smoke all over, oil and bits of crank shaft and con road underneath when he stopped. Total destruction. The guy who works on his other vehicles told my son it was typical of what he and others such as AA breakdown patrol guys were witnessing frequently.

Of course, had the Ranger been equipped with a coolant low level warning sensor and readout, if this incident was due to a slow coolant leak, rather than one relying on a sensor reading coolant temperature in the block or head maybe this sort of incident would not occur as frequently as seems to be happening over in the UK.

Needless to say my son is waiting for the Ranger's engine to be replaced - everything except electrics, air con compressor etc - and then he is trading it in for a new HiLux, never to buy another Ford product again after this happening with two successive 3.2 Rangers. In the UK the Hi Lux has a 5 year warranty, the Ranger only 3 years.

Does anyone have any feedback on this seemingly high incidence of engine failure so far as UK Rangers are concerned, which if my info is correct are still built here in RSA? If so, why is this not happening here? I haven't heard or seen of so many failures like this occurring here with these vehicles - or are they? If the engines are the same spec here as in the UK versions could this be a diesel fuel quality issue maybe? Not sure if they are using 5ppm over there.

And what about Aussie 3.2 Rangers? Anything like this happening over there?

Any feedback on this would be most welcome as I am now more than a mite concerned about my faithful steed!
    Jambo7

London to Sydney 1968 East Africa 2001 Southern & East Africa 2004 & 2006
    Australia 2007 Cape Agulhas to North Cape, Norway 2009/10
    Ushuaia, Argentina to Deadhorse, Alaska 2012/13, Southern Africa 2015 & 2017

DON'T JUST DREAM IT - DO IT!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jambo7 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Ranger 3.2 engine failures in UK

Quote Originally Posted by Jambo7 View Post
    Morning all. I have a 3.2l 4x4 Super Cab bought new in 2014 which is based here in Cape Town and which has done believe it or not only just over 70000 kms from new. It carries a North Star slide on camper so is only used for camping trips hence the low kms. Right now it's performing impeccably and that 5 cylinder is pulling like a train better than ever. I've had no engine issues with at all and it gets its routine services on time with mid service interval oil/filter changes in between. And almost from day one it has carried the camper at close to max GVM only occasionally taking it off for short periods. So when it has been driven it's work reasonably hard.

However, my son in the UK who runs a horticultural business towing plants etc in a 4 wheel trailer almost all on tar has had two 3.2 Rangers over the last few years and both have given him major engine problems. The last one, fortunately still under warranty, resulting in a total loss of power, engine disintegration, oil all over the show etc. He has been told by several people in the industry as well as AA call out guys over there that this is indeed a significant issue with not just the Ford 3.2 but other engines in the Duratorq range such as the 4 cylinder diesels used in the 1000s of Transit vans on the roads there (and of course in Puma versions of the last Defender of which I've had two in the past). My son's last incident was an example of the coolant warning light flashing momentarily once when he was driving and which he saw. He continued driving when it remained off, watching it continuously, but the engine just suddenly let go whilst on the freeway driving at around 110 kms/hr, lots of steam, smoke all over, oil and bits of crank shaft and con road underneath when he stopped. Total destruction. The guy who works on his other vehicles told my son it was typical of what he and others such as AA breakdown patrol guys were witnessing frequently.

Of course, had the Ranger been equipped with a coolant low level warning sensor and readout, if this incident was due to a slow coolant leak, rather than one relying on a sensor reading coolant temperature in the block or head maybe this sort of incident would not occur as frequently as seems to be happening over in the UK.

Needless to say my son is waiting for the Ranger's engine to be replaced - everything except electrics, air con compressor etc - and then he is trading it in for a new HiLux, never to buy another Ford product again after this happening with two successive 3.2 Rangers. In the UK the Hi Lux has a 5 year warranty, the Ranger only 3 years.

Does anyone have any feedback on this seemingly high incidence of engine failure so far as UK Rangers are concerned, which if my info is correct are still built here in RSA? If so, why is this not happening here? I haven't heard or seen of so many failures like this occurring here with these vehicles - or are they? If the engines are the same spec here as in the UK versions could this be a diesel fuel quality issue maybe? Not sure if they are using 5ppm over there.

And what about Aussie 3.2 Rangers? Anything like this happening over there?

Any feedback on this would be most welcome as I am now more than a mite concerned about my faithful steed!
    Anecdotally you hear that they don't last that long compared to jap trucks like hardbodies, hiluxes and isuzus.

The previous model with the 2.5 diesel lasted longer.

But I have never owned one so let's see what those who actually drive them have to say.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post: