Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Nuwe Defender

Default Re: Nuwe Defender

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Shocking build quality for a 1bar vehicle. Check that gap
    jah, so it's a proper Defender after all

Jokes aside, I've seen about 3-4 in the flesh, and a cursory look revealed some awful panel gaps, especially around the bonnet - front bumper area. Mind you, even my L494 has this, so maybe it's a JLR 'feature'
    Last edited by Orxy; 2021/05/10 at 08:56 AM.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    jah, so it's a proper Defender after all

Jokes aside, I've seen about 3-4 in the flesh, and a cursory look revealed some awful panel gaps, especially around the bonnet - front bumper area. Mind you, even my L494 has this, so maybe it's a JLR 'feature'
    Panel gaps are usually an optional extra with LR
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

Shocking build quality for a 1bar vehicle. Check that gap

Attachment 614932

In LR's defense, is that not just the bonnet that is opened?

The American Youtube channel TFL that had been test driving the vehicle, had a lot of issues. But the vehicle seems so very well thought out, with many cool gadgets and great looking interior.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtdBunnvnq4

What I don't get is why Land Rover does not spend more time making it more reliable, getting the basics right first, before adding more and more bells and whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by Patroller View Post

The American Youtube channel TFL that had been test driving the vehicle, had a lot of issues. But the vehicle seems so very well thought out, with many cool gadgets and great looking interior.

What I don't get is why Land Rover does not spend more time making it more reliable, getting the basics right first, before adding more and more bells and whistles.
    Jy het die gemis in my post.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by PdT33 View Post
    These Defenders have now been around for a few months, any comments on reliability? Vs new off roaders like a Discovery, Cruiser etc. The air suspension is one concern, but it looks great and I prefer new cars
    That says a lot, if a new Defender's reliability is measured in months!
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

And this is the 1 million dollar question many have been asking for a long time...

Die beste 4 x 4 ooit het die voorreg gehad om met die petrol een te ry."Off Road" en teer pad.

Bonnet was open for the battery charger. Trust me there are no gaps and all panels fit perfectly.
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

These Defenders have now been around for a few months, any comments on reliability? Vs new off roaders like a Discovery, Cruiser etc. The air suspension is one concern, but it looks great and I prefer new cars
    From a "delivery" point of view: I have done 2500km with mine of which 250km gravel roads. Up till now I could not identify a single item not working as it should. Gravel ride is better than the Discovery 3 I had (bigger 32' wheels?).

The D300 engine is a beast. Interface easy to use.

I have covered 315 000 km with the Disco doing what it is made for. I will vouch for the reliability of the air suspension. Not one lowering of air suspension to bump stops due to an error in 14 years. I did replaced the compressor at the earliest sign of an issue (first one under warranty, second one more than 230 000km)

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Etn For This Useful Post:

Jy het die gemis in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Etn View Post
    From a "delivery" point of view: I have done 2500km with mine of which 250km gravel roads. Up till now I could not identify a single item not working as it should. Gravel ride is better than the Discovery 3 I had (bigger 32' wheels?).

The D300 engine is a beast. Interface easy to use.

I have covered 315 000 km with the Disco doing what it is made for. I will vouch for the reliability of the air suspension. Not one lowering of air suspension to bump stops due to an error in 14 years. I did replaced the compressor at the earliest sign of an issue (first one under warranty, second one more than 230 000km)
    I ordered a d300 in Jan and until today I still cannot get a delivery date from LR. My order in a holding pool. Lots of delays at factory. I therefore opted for this zD240 that arrived last week that was closest to my spec. Lost out on solar atten windscreen and electric towbar and got a black roof and rails but looks ok. Not a train smash. Glad you enjoying yours. Wed delivery for me as I’m having ppf fitted especially for the gloss black bits which are seriously impractical.
    Last edited by BruceHun; 2021/05/10 at 05:01 PM.
    Bruce Hunter

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Etn

Why would you say the air suspension is a concern?, that is probable the best suspension on the market and very reliable. You will get about 10 years plus out of the air suspension, and that is about what you will get out of a normal suspension before it sags. But you have the ability to lift the car with just a touch of a button, where a normal suspension you cannot , and with a normal suspension, once you lift the car the ride is much harder. Air suspensions has proven it self over their years to be the best choice. Toyota is starting to use it now as well if I am not mistaken

Cheers
    Pepe
    Pepe Kleinhans
    Discovery 4
    KTM 520 EXC and BMW R1250 GSA

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pepekleinhans For This Useful Post:

I've had mine now since July last year.

I've done the Lebombo trail with it, a trip through the Wild Coast, and a couple of 4x4 tracks around Gauteng.
    A friend of mine has joined me with his old Defender a lot of the time.
    Offroad, he's prepared to go further than I am, (especially in terms of thorny Bush and rocks) but where it does go, the ND does it with a lot less effort, and will go further off-road in traction limited situations than the old Defender will.
    On-road wise, the ND especially the P400, with almost 300KW is just awesome.

Reliability wise, 1 or 2 small gadgetry niggles on the Pivi Pro sytem, but like it was said, nothing a control-alt-del can't sort out. Other than that all is good. I do get a "coolent level low" warning, but there's a recall on that that I must just pop in have sorted.

I thought there was a problem when I got an "emergency breaking not available" caution a couple of times, but its just from either a dirty windscreen where the 1 radar camera sits behind, or a dirty Land Rover badge bug smear (because behind it also sits a radar transmitter for redundancy purposes for the autonomous braking in emergencies)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by shady; 2021/05/28 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Better grammar

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by shady View Post
    I've had mine now since July last year.

I've done the Lebombo trail with it, a trip through the Wild Coast, and a couple of 4x4 tracks around Gauteng.
    My friend of mine has joined me with his old Defender a lot of the time.
    Offroad, he's prepared to go further than I am, (especially in terms of thorny Bush and rockes) but where it does go, the ND does it with a lot less effort, and will go further offroad in traction limited situations than the old Defender will.
    On-road wise, the ND especially th P400, with almost 300KW is just awesome.

Reliability wise, 1 or 2 small gadgetry niggles on the Pivi Pro sytem, but like it was said, nothing a control -alt del can't sort out. Other than that all is good. I do get a "coolent level low" warning, but there's a recall on that that I must just pop in have sorted.

I thought there was a problem when I got an "emergency breaking not available" caution a couple of times, but its just from either a dirty windscreen where the 1 radar camera sits behind, or a dirty Land Rover badge bug smear (because behind it also sits a radar transmitter for redundancy purposes for the autonomous braking in emergencies)
    Great stuff! Im there late next week.
    Bruce Hunter

Fit some 35 and it will go anywhere:

https://youtu.be/zviGc69Qysk

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3