Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default What 4x4 Suv to get Budget R400 to R420k

We as a family are looking at another vehicle. We are thinking of selling the wife's X5 2015 as the 3 boys are getting bigger. This vehicle we would like to replace it with needs the following pref:

Ideally 7 seats
    Budget of max R420k
    4x4 for the odd camping trip, overland ing or trip to dunes
    Pref a diesel

Possible options
    Prado 2014 onwards (don't think I'll get it for price) as the face-lift is from 2014
    Ford Everest
    Pajero Sport
    Toyota Fortuner

Any any other options

Default What 4x4 Suv to get Budget R400 to R420k

https://www.autotrader.co.za/cars-fo...order=PriceLow

Have a look at these well specced offerings. They have been on the market for 3+ years.

Look at the reviews from different parts of the world on YouTube
    Last edited by blazerb2; 2021/04/28 at 11:54 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blazerb2 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: What 4x4 Suv to get Budget R400 to R420k

I think the Everest may give you the most bang for your buck and shouldn’t be overlooked.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Therackermann For This Useful Post:

Do yourself a favour and have a long hard look at the Isuzu MUX. It will tick all your boxes, probably around a 2018 model and you will have warranty and maintenance plan still active.
    Jaco Nell

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:

Discovery 4 is the most capable and comfortable (by a good margin) vehicle in that class and you can get some very good examples in that price range with a service plan if you are concerned about the running costs.

Pajero would be my second choice.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2021/04/29 at 05:11 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Dear God, I guess I'm going to say it...

The Fortuner.

Spit.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Fortuner you might get a 2.4 for that money with low kilos
    The new model pajero sport i know of 1 4x4 abvailable for that money,they are scarse.
    Isuzu mux is a good choice.
    Everest you will find the best deals on
    Those are the 4 choices if going newer...from there its the bigger boys with higher kilos

Coming from an x5 you gonna have to do some serious test driiving before even thinking of buying blind as the BM is a good performing comfortable vehicle and any of the 4 above will be a downgrade in terms of that.
    Last edited by Mr.G; 2021/04/29 at 07:03 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Prado, if you can find one in your budget.

Mitsubishi for bang for buck and reliability. Aftermarket bits might be a challenge.

Toyota Fortuner for perceived reliability, parts availability and aftermarket support.

Ford is probably the nicest vehicle to be in, but consider the reliability and longevity of them as mentioned all over the Ford section.

Pajero proper! The Sport is great but the Pajero lwb is bigger and more comfortable.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Definately what Mr.G has mentioned.

Most of the 7seaters in your budget is going to feel like a downgrade from your X5.

Handling is also going to be miles apart from the beemer.

Not a true 4x4, but what about a Q7? Might be able to find an older model in your price range.
    Not sure what your mileage/ age limit is?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Fortuner you might get a 2.4 for that money with low kilos
    The new model pajero sport i know of 1 4x4 abvailable for that money,they are scarse.
    Isuzu mux is a good choice.
    Everest you will find the best deals on
    Those are the 4 choices if going newer...from there its the bigger boys with higher kilos

Coming from an x5 you gonna have to do some serious test driiving before even thinking of buying blind as the BM is a good performing comfortable vehicle and any of the 4 above will be a downgrade in terms of that.
    I agree fully. I would seriously think twice about selling the X5 and purchasing any of the vehicles mentioned....all of them is a downgrade.

I sold the wifes fortuner 7 months ago and bought a X5 and couldnt be happier. You can't compare them to be fair. Ive taken the x5 on some serious gravel roads iand muddy tracks in knysna and around Harties and it passed with flying colours...its a real machine.

Unless youre really looking to offroad quite a bit I wouldnt do it.
    Oh and space...the x5 is really wide compared to all of the above and interior space is very good except for the 3rd row of seating which it doesnt have....the x5s boot is actually bigger than the fortuners. Trust me ive packed them both with luggage a few times
    If youre hell bent on selling the x5 the only logical choice would be to look at something like a touareg. Good balance between off road and dynamic ability. That would be my choice
    Last edited by MUGmug; 2021/04/29 at 09:16 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MUGmug For This Useful Post:

The fortunes is not a 7 seater. Toyota has managed to force two seats into the boot, but its still no 7 seater.

coming from an X5, all of these cars will seem like major downgrades. The Prado the least of the lot. If you can stretch the budget though probably your best choice.

a discovery 4 is the closest in terms of trim/finish, comfort and performance to the X5, and its a proper 7 seater.

opinions vary on the diesel in terms of reliability. But that money will get you a mint condition V8, and that AJV8 is a brilliant motor, renowned for its reliability

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scheepers85 For This Useful Post:

Looking at your current vehicles you are already acquainted with the Ford. The Everest will be the better buy as it will be the closest to your current X5. The Everest competes with the Prado in all other markets and you won't find a good newish Prado with low kilometers in that price range. The 3.2 Everest is also the most powerful of the bunch.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MUGmug View Post
    I agree fully. I would seriously think twice about selling the X5 and purchasing any of the vehicles mentioned....all of them is a downgrade.
    Correct. Do your self a favor and go and test drive a Dicovery 4. You will not be disappointed.
    Discovery 3 V8 HSE
    Defender 90 2.8i
    Audi SQ5 Tdi
    Range Rover 4.4 V8 sold
    Audi A3T sold

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Beesblaas For This Useful Post:

If I had to buy now for myself it would be this without a doubt, probably the best buy out there at the moment, fairly new, very low kilometers. 140kW and 440NM.

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...o/3.2/26000065
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens78 View Post
    Pajero proper! The Sport is great but the Pajero lwb is bigger and more comfortable.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RvanZ View Post
    Prado, if you can find one in your budget.

Mitsubishi for bang for buck and reliability. Aftermarket bits might be a challenge.

Toyota Fortuner for perceived reliability, parts availability and aftermarket support.

Ford is probably the nicest vehicle to be in, but consider the reliability and longevity of them as mentioned all over the Ford section.
    Please enlighten us all with an explanation regards your comment. Yes its a free world, and you entitled to your own opinion, but seriously, to take a dig at something because of a perception, then I give up.

I have owned 8 Toyota products, 3 were Fortuners. I never once had reliability, parts availability or aftermarket support issues with any of my Toyota's, not once. Yes I stood next to the road a few times but that was either a puncture of a faulty Tracker cut off switch, but never once due to product unreliability or breakdown.

To be frank, you gave a negative comment on every choice you mentioned, which were valid points. Frankly, your digs at the Fortuner were not called for.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post
    Please enlighten us all with an explanation regards your comment. Yes its a free world, and you entitled to your own opinion, but seriously, to take a dig at something because of a perception, then I give up.

I have owned 8 Toyota products, 3 were Fortuners. I never once had reliability, parts availability or aftermarket support issues with any of my Toyota's, not once. Yes I stood next to the road a few times but that was either a puncture of a faulty Tracker cut off switch, but never once due to product unreliability or breakdown.

To be frank, you gave a negative comment on every choice you mentioned, which were valid points. Frankly, your digs at the Fortuner were not called for.
    I agree and find these comments amoosing.

They are getting old now and one gets to a stage where you won't roll over and just take it anymore.

Fortuner drivers have rolled with the punches for long enough.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

The Fortuna does not belong in the selection criteria, not a seven seater.
    2019 Wildtrak 4x4 Bi-Turbo - Current
    2019 Ford Figo Trend Auto - SWAMBO's platkar
    2017 Everest 2.2 XLT - Sold
    2016 Ranger 3.2 Manual - Sold

All Well known branded cars are good, all of them is value for money.

You will hear good and bad stories about all of them.

Flip a coin, and before the the coin lands, you will know what your gut tells you.

So, Do the right thing and get the Fortuner and get it over with, this IS what your guts tells you to do.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Vormoto For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MUGmug View Post
    If youre hell bent on selling the x5 the only logical choice would be to look at something like a Touareg. Good balance between off road and dynamic ability. That would be my choice
    Touareg doesn't come in 7 seats and boot is way smaller than X5 due to sloping roof. I sit with the same problem!! I have no idea what I am going to buy if the time comes to let go of the Touareg. What makes it worse, my Touareg, with low range and diff lock, is a proper 4x4 and can keep up with the cruiser 95% of the time!!!

As others mentioned, the closest you will get to the X5 is a Dico 4. They are seriously good cars. But I would go for the V8.

Quote Originally Posted by Caracal View Post

Don't be so sensitive It remains "perceived" until you actually experience something
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast