Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default it's a write off

i am still struggling to get my head around the fact that they writing it off with the amount of damage as in the pics....
    Does any one have any advice...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3906.jpg 
Views:	2358 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	613883   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3903.jpg 
Views:	1617 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	613884  

its a ....

2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES auto facelift - ​Written Off - sold to insurance
    Ham: ZS6GS
    ORRA: Z152

Default Re: it's a write off

Speak with Biltong here on forum.

He'll have advice

Edit: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-Reborn-Thread
    Last edited by Prof; 2021/04/28 at 01:35 PM.
    '98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

Repair to value ratio, that's why. If the repair costs are a certain percentage of the vehicle value, it makes little sense for the insurer to repair the vehicle and have a possible second or even third claim against the vehicle further on.

What is the insured value of the vehicle vs repair costs?

Edit: from the pics, I can see quite a lot that needs replacing.
    Quarter panel, rear panel, door, bumper, flares, fender trim and that's not even starting repairs on the undercarriage and axle
    Last edited by jeepman85; 2021/04/28 at 01:36 PM.
    My speelding: 2012 VW Amarok 2.0 TDI
    Vrou se speelding: Astra OuPC

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jeepman85 For This Useful Post:

What is your vehicle insured for?
    What is the estimated costs of repairs?
    Lexus GS350
    Nissan X-trail 2.5 4x4 (old rattle donkey)
    Ex - Polo Vivo 1.6 sedan(Stolen ), Nissan Hardbody 2.4 4x4 D/cab, Steed 5 2.5tci 4x4 D/cab

Quote Originally Posted by jeepman85 View Post
    Repair to value ratio, that's why. If the repair costs are a certain percentage of the vehicle value, it makes little sense for the insurer to repair the vehicle and have a possible second or even third claim against the vehicle further on.

What is the insured value of the vehicle vs repair costs?
    Apparently damage is R72k less excess.... they are offering me R96k less excess to write it off..... or R55K and i keep the vehicle

on the break down they say that the rear lower trailing arm is R17K and the side shaft is R9K

its a ....

2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES auto facelift - ​Written Off - sold to insurance

That's the problem with these old vehicles that have expensive replacement parts, we grow so attached to them and then if the day arrives that we bang them, it's like someone is taking your child away.

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunston View Post
    Apparently damage is R72k less excess.... they are offering me R96k less excess to write it off..... or R55K and i keep the vehicle

on the break down they say that the rear lower trailing arm is R17K and the side shaft is R9K
    Likely dealer prices to cover them in a warranty case. If I were the insurer, I'd write the vehicle off too, as much as it would pain me.

Take the 55 and repair the vehicle, you can do a very decent job with that amount and still have some change left
    My speelding: 2012 VW Amarok 2.0 TDI
    Vrou se speelding: Astra OuPC

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jeepman85 For This Useful Post:

here is the estimate....
    Attached Images Attached Images

its a ....

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    That's the problem with these old vehicles that have expensive replacement parts, we grow so attached to them and then if the day arrives that we bang them, it's like someone is taking your child away.

Good luck!!
    so very true

its a ....

You get panel beaters and panel fitters, that's an assessment from a panel fitter.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roberto Betta For This Useful Post:

Cost of repairs against value of the vehicle. See the post of Biltong repairing his own vehicle and with a donor vehicle he says it is still costing him a lot to repair. I had a client a whille ago who has a Hilux and it was damaged in an accident. The insured value was R 125 000 and the initial cost to repair was R 75 000. I asked the insurer to write it of but a clever assessor came and said he will have it repaired for less. Agreed and the client was not happy with the job and I did get the big brass in to come and have a look and they agreed to send to another Auto body reairer and the end result was R160 000 to the repairer and another R 32 000 car hire for them. Way more than what the vehicle was insured for. So they try and avoid borderline cases and write them of because they must repair in full if they decide to repair no matter the insured amount. That is why a lot of insurers start writing of from 50% and above. Remember and insured client is not the most agreeable person to accept a job done if they are not satisfied and that is another reason for rather writing of and get say 35% for the wreck from scrapyards.
    Hope you get what you want.
    Regards

2016 Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Dc
    2019 Wildebeest Serengeti

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Millie For This Useful Post:

An acquaintance of mine actually makes a living off written off vehicles. Uneconomical to repair, bring it to him and he repairs it. These guys often quote on agents parts as well, where the is aftermarket available or even used parts.

I should've done that with our Sedona. Was only a headlight, bumper, radiator and some of the valance that was damaged. I'm sure I could've even repaired it at home....I should've, that was a nice vehicle. Question is what will you get for the money they give you....
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Business bakkie)
    2011 Honda CRV 2.4
    2007 Hyundai Atos (Tossie)

Normally the insurer will deem it 'uneconomical to repair' if the cost to value exceeds 66%
    This is especially if there is mechanical damage.
    Mechanical damage nearly always results in future mechanical problems, which then need to be addressed by the initial repairer. Hence the reluctance to repair if there is substantial mechanical damage.
    You can buy back the car yourself and then they will pay you the difference between the 'salvage value' and the market value that they would have paid for the write off claim.
    Roy

Beneath every ‘Majestic Oak’ lies a ‘Tuff Nut’ that refused to give up!!

Daily Drive : 2010 Discovery 4 SE
    Weekends: 2003 BMW K1200GT

I'm sure if they were prepared to replace the trailing arm with a used item the quote would come in at a cost that they could repair. Speak to them.

In my opinion that is a rip-off price anyways.

if u want to keep the vehicle take the K55 and go back to panel beater and tell him to requote u as u gone pay for the repairs yourself quote will drop 30% easily. the other problem is when they start tripping there might be more unforseen damage so that is why insurers write it off at 70% some at 50% as they get more for the salvage as to repair it up to 70% so the claim amount is actually less then for the insurer.

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

Personally, I would keep it, take the settlement offer and get it fixed myself.
    Just saying.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Personally, I would keep it, take the settlement offer and get it fixed myself.
    Just saying.
    I agree. Clearly the vehicle is not damaged beyond repair - it is just a matter of costs. Even if it costs you a bit more than the R 55 000 you are getting, you have the peace of mind that you own a vehicle you know.
    Johan Swanepoel

"Nkabe ke ngwana wa morago"

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Swannie1960 For This Useful Post:

Well
    What did you hit to move the rear axle forward by that amount ?

The bean counter at the insurer looks at it this way, pay at least R72k and still have the risk of more damage or claims, or pay you R96k and sell the car for salvage of for say R40k, costing them only R55k.
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

25. The Following User Says Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

As mentioned we get attached to our vehicles.
    You can get another dico 2 for around R80-R110 quite easily so if you cant fix yourself then that is a good option to take the R96k
    Can you remove any extras before they settle?
    The other option you must ask yourself , would I get a car like this for R55k if it was not mine? probably not, but if you can fix it yourself (or most of it) then its a bit risky but certainly worth while.

In my case and if I was allowed to remove any extras that I added then I would take the money R96k

As we dont know what extras are added its difficult to give a definite answer

Good luck either way
    Last edited by 12richardk; 2021/04/28 at 03:42 PM.
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

27. The Following User Says Thank You to 12richardk For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast