Default Grand Cherokee advice: which engine spec to get?

Hi guys!

To an earlier thread, I'm possibly on the lookout for a GC (2015 +) but need some honest advice on what to consider/not consider. I'm specifically interested in a GC as I honestly find it the best looking SUV on the market (my opinion, so let it be ) and they also provide a lot of vehicle for one's money.

I think we are blessed but also sorta cursed by the fact that the GC is available in three engine options which makes one's decision making process a tad harder, and that is where I need some opinions and advice to aid me in my hunt. Note that I have obviously searched for similar threads on the community and have read all that was to say - but I do however feel like I need even more info.

So in a nutshell:

3.6l Pentastar: Brilliant engine, reliable and not that heavy on fuel. I have the 3.6 in my Wrangler and can attest to this. Saying this, I would not be too afraid of buying 3.6 with +/- 100k kms on the odo. Only gripe I have is that I already have it...I feel a change might be better here.
    Maybe something a bit more powerful?

5.7l Hemi: From what I gather, this is also a very reliable engine if maintained well (correct oil specs etc etc). Performance wise I think this engine should make a very good drive (260kW and 520Nm)! Yes, fuel consumption is bad but I'm used to a lifted Wrangler on 35inch muds, so consumption ought to be similar here.
    How bad of an idea would it be to buy one with +/- 100k kms on the odo (given FSH etc etc.)?

3.0 CRD: Very good performance - 560Nm of low down torque and 180kW of power. Not bad for a diesel at all. Fuel consumption, from what I've read, is also rather good at about 10l/100 average! My only concern is well, it's a diesel. I haven't owned a diesel before as reliability always pops up in the back of my mind. Yes, maintenance is key but if something goes, repair costs seem a bit higher than with petrol engines. Also, I've been taught one never buys a second-hand diesel because of this.

Beside the engine options, what other issues might crop up on a GC? In an Overland spec, I know the air suspensions are costly to repair if something happens - is this a common issue or far in between?
    Needless to say, I will also opt for an extended warranty is possible for peace of mind.

I'd appreciate any input on this as I'm currently eyeing a 2015 model but would like to get some honest feedback first!
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    35/12.50/17 BFG KM2s
    AEV Heat Reduction Hood

Default Re: Grand Cherokee advice: which engine spec to get?

I have a 5.7 Overland and the CRD two different experiences in my view, go drive both and decide.....Both those motors are reliable if looked after 5.7 is sitting at 250k only issue was regassing aircon and repleacing a radiator that got damaged with a foreign object. Diesel is fairly new but I decided on it for the following reasons:
    1. It is cheaper to run the 5.7 was killing me in the city, did a 540km trip with the diesel yesterday and averaged 8.5l/100
    2. Spoke to a lot of techies etc no major issues on these motors

m2cw

Jacques

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JacquesJeep For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesJeep View Post
    I have a 5.7 Overland and the CRD two different experiences in my view, go drive both and decide.....Both those motors are reliable if looked after 5.7 is sitting at 250k only issue was regassing aircon and repleacing a radiator that got damaged with a foreign object. Diesel is fairly new but I decided on it for the following reasons:
    1. It is cheaper to run the 5.7 was killing me in the city, did a 540km trip with the diesel yesterday and averaged 8.5l/100
    2. Spoke to a lot of techies etc no major issues on these motors

m2cw

Jacques
    Thanks Jacques!! Realistic consumption in town for the 5.7 vs the 3.0?
    I know this is subjective and you have mentioned these are two different experiences, but which one drives the best? Which one puts a smile on your face every time (if they do)?
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    35/12.50/17 BFG KM2s
    AEV Heat Reduction Hood

The 5.7 put a smile on your dial, put in sport at the traffic light and it will shame some...that being said the Diesel with the 8 speed box is a gem effortless power always on tap, smooth and really economical in town 10L/100. The 5.7 you are going to battle to better 6km/100 in town highway as in cuts of 4 of the 8 cylinders my best was 10l/100km. The laaitie and myself still wants to do a mini drag from a standstill I believe the 5.7 will smoke the diesel!

In the end it depends on what you want to do with the vehicle I have a JKU CRD as well but for a different application....

Quote Originally Posted by JacquesJeep View Post
    The 5.7 put a smile on your dial, put in sport at the traffic light and it will shame some...that being said the Diesel with the 8 speed box is a gem effortless power always on tap, smooth and really economical in town 10L/100. The 5.7 you are going to battle to better 6km/100 in town highway as in cuts of 4 of the 8 cylinders my best was 10l/100km. The laaitie and myself still wants to do a mini drag from a standstill I believe the 5.7 will smoke the diesel!

In the end it depends on what you want to do with the vehicle I have a JKU CRD as well but for a different application....
    Ok seems on par with current consumption. I guess I will have to go drive both. What year model do you have?
    Also, I guess it would also be possible to fit 18inch rims instead of the factory 20inch ones? Would like to put ATs on for sure.
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    35/12.50/17 BFG KM2s
    AEV Heat Reduction Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn777 View Post

3.0 CRD: Very good performance - 560Nm of low down torque and 180kW of power. Not bad for a diesel at all. Fuel consumption, from what I've read, is also rather good at about 10l/100 average! My only concern is well, it's a diesel. I haven't owned a diesel before as reliability always pops up in the back of my mind. Yes, maintenance is key but if something goes, repair costs seem a bit higher than with petrol engines. Also, I've been taught one never buys a second-hand diesel because of this.

Friend of mine has an Overlander with the 3.0 CRD engine. I am not a Jeep guy, but that car is brilliant. Pulls very strong and returns about 8.6l/100km.

I did some work on it and it is as right as rain.

If you want to talk to him, send me a PM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Default Grand Cherokee advice: which engine spec to get?

Every red blooded man has to own a v8 at least once in their lifetime.
    Last edited by Therackermann; 2021/04/26 at 07:25 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Therackermann For This Useful Post:

Compare the V8 Cruisers spec with the 3.0 l CRD Jeep......and it weighs al lot less....

Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    Every red blooded man has to own a v8 at least once in their lifetime.
    Jip

Decisions decisions decisions.....

Very very hard decisions indeed!!! Maybe the v8 will sound better than the diesel for what it's worth haha.
    I will try to go test drive them sometime this week which will hopefully give me a better idea of what I'd prefer.

Do all Overland specs come with Quadra Drive II? This is a good 4x4 system, right?
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    35/12.50/17 BFG KM2s
    AEV Heat Reduction Hood

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    Friend of mine has an Overlander with the 3.0 CRD engine. I am not a Jeep guy, but that car is brilliant. Pulls very strong and returns about 8.6l/100km.

I did some work on it and it is as right as rain.

If you want to talk to him, send me a PM.
    Thanks Henri! Might just do that!
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    35/12.50/17 BFG KM2s
    AEV Heat Reduction Hood

Can anyone confirm if the 5.7 can fit 17" wheels? I seem to remember that the callipers were too big...

'12 Audi Q5 3.0 TDi quattro stock standard

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds - Sold

'01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

The WK 5.7 yes. The WK2, no.
    2010 Eagle Head 5.7 hemi

17. The Following User Says Thank You to skala For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by skala View Post
    The WK 5.7 yes. The WK2, no.
    What about 18's on the WK2? also, an idea of max tire size that will fit without rubbing?
    Not fond of the 20inch wheels at all. Would like to get some extra sidewall
    2012 Jeep Wrangler JKUR
    35/12.50/17 BFG KM2s
    AEV Heat Reduction Hood

My WK2 Trailhawk has 18inch wheels......