Default Kamieskroon to Vioolsdrif via the Richtersveld. Advice please.

My wife and I will be holidaying Aug/Sept. As part of our trip we were planning the following stages;
    1. Kamieskroon to Springbok via the Namaqua National park
    2. Springbok to Sendelingsdrif via Lekkersing and Kuboes.
    3. Senderlingsdrif toTatasberg via De Hoop, then onto Gannakourie and back to Senderlingsdrif.
    4. Senderlingsdrif to Viooldrif via Eksteenfontein.

As we are retired, we will have a flexible itinary. Where possible we will be making use of a roof top tent. We have a standard 4x4 2.2l Ranger. We understand that travelling in convoy is a good idea but this will not be possible. Are there any sections of this planned trip that are definitely not to be attempted alone? We will not be venturing off the beaten track and we will not be in any hurry. Would you advise advance booking of camp sites?
    Any other advice would also be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Adrian and Joan

Default Re: Kamieskroon to Vioolsdrif via the Richtersveld. Advice please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ataraxia View Post
    My wife and I will be holidaying Aug/Sept. As part of our trip we were planning the following stages;
    1. Kamieskroon to Springbok via the Namaqua National park
    2. Springbok to Sendelingsdrif via Lekkersing and Kuboes.
    3. Senderlingsdrif toTatasberg via De Hoop, then onto Gannakourie and back to Senderlingsdrif.
    4. Senderlingsdrif to Viooldrif via Eksteenfontein.

As we are retired, we will have a flexible itinary. Where possible we will be making use of a roof top tent. We have a standard 4x4 2.2l Ranger. We understand that travelling in convoy is a good idea but this will not be possible. Are there any sections of this planned trip that are definitely not to be attempted alone? We will not be venturing off the beaten track and we will not be in any hurry. Would you advise advance booking of camp sites?
    Any other advice would also be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Adrian and Joan
    Hi Adrian and Joan

I travelled in that area recently.

1. The roads in the Namaqua National Park will by more than OK.
    2. The roads linking the southern Richtersveld towns can sometimes be severely corrugated, but if you take your time, you will get through easily.
    3. The roads and tracks inside the National park sometimes requires careful driving as it can be steep, rocky or washed out, but the main tracks are more than passable for a single vehicle.
    4. You will be going past Kuboes and Eksteensfontein, where corrugations can be a challenge. South east of Eksteensfontein the road was in a very good condition. You then get the turnoff to go via the Helskloof Pass to Vioolsdrif. (there is another Helskloof Pass inside the Richtersveld National Park, this one is east of Eksteensfontein). The Helskloof pass is sometimes slow going, but presents no difficulty and is great fun to drive.

You can contact the Richtersveld Conservancy at 076 089 9457 and the Namakwa eco Route at 081 873 9043 for information on camping in the area south of the National Park, the camp sites are Tierhoek, Glybank, Kanikaip, Halfmens, SunValley, Fluorspar Valley, Matjieskloof and a few more. None of the camps are serviced, you will have to be self supporting.

If you travel on your own carry enough water, have a basic medical kit, extra tyre and repair kit, consider a sat phone and take it slow.

Thank you very much for your time and info. It will be of great help.
    Adrian
    Ps I won my bet with my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Ataraxia View Post
    Ps I won my bet with my wife.
    Don't rub it in too much, otherwise you will not only be a single vehicle, you might just become a single traveller as well.