Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Kgalagadi behaviour

We have recently returned from a very enjoyable 3 weeks in Kgalagadi, on both the SA and Bots sides; please tell me if I am a grumpy, old man or if I do have reason to be grumpy?

I found the behaviour of, an admitted minority of the visitors to Kgalagadi, very disappointing. It seems that the general lawlessness and disrespect for others in South Africa is now creeping into the Park as well.

There is clear signage that Rooiputs is not a “tourist area” but people insist on “touring” through the campsites. While we were camped on site 4 a vehicle drove through between my caravan and the A-frame and couldn’t understand why I was grumpy. This has been a problem at Rooiputs for a long time, but now it is happening at Polentswa too on a regular basis. Not only drive throughs, but also stopping for lunch, even at a campsite that is occupied while the legal camper is out for a drive. All of this driving through Rooiputs and Polentswa is “doubly” illegal at the moment as one needs a Covid clearance to go onto the Botswana side.

Another irritation at Rooiputs and Polentswa is the blatant disregard of Park opening and closing times, by the campers, who leave early or return late.

My next point is the way campers in un-powered sites “steal” power from the ablution block at Nossob, where there is a sign above the power-point in the kitchen area, indicating that it should not be done, while at Twee Rivieren, power is taken from the nearest powered site.

Some people seem unaware that in the ablution block there are different sinks for washing clothes and dishes, and are very happy to wash their dishes and pots in the laundry tubs.

Walking through campsites, maybe to take a short-cut, and not respecting one’s privacy, even passing between my vehicle and caravan, sometimes with a greeting, sometimes not!

Then there are drivers on the roads too who think they should have a better view than anybody else, and drive up onto the bank at the side of the road.

So that is my rant for now, I don’t know how many members echo my sentiments and how many think that I am “a grumpy old man”.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rooiputs.jpg 
Views:	1046 
Size:	134.7 KB 
ID:	613711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Copy (1) of IMG_7712.jpg 
Views:	1260 
Size:	202.2 KB 
ID:	613712  
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

Default Re: Kgalagadi behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by mcowell View Post
    We have recently returned from a very enjoyable 3 weeks in Kgalagadi, on both the SA and Bots sides; please tell me if I am a grumpy, old man or if I do have reason to be grumpy?

I found the behaviour of, an admitted minority of the visitors to Kgalagadi, very disappointing. It seems that the general lawlessness and disrespect for others in South Africa is now creeping into the Park as well.

There is clear signage that Rooiputs is not a “tourist area” but people insist on “touring” through the campsites. While we were camped on site 4 a vehicle drove through between my caravan and the A-frame and couldn’t understand why I was grumpy. This has been a problem at Rooiputs for a long time, but now it is happening at Polentswa too on a regular basis. Not only drive throughs, but also stopping for lunch, even at a campsite that is occupied while the legal camper is out for a drive. All of this driving through Rooiputs and Polentswa is “doubly” illegal at the moment as one needs a Covid clearance to go onto the Botswana side.

Another irritation at Rooiputs and Polentswa is the blatant disregard of Park opening and closing times, by the campers, who leave early or return late.

My next point is the way campers in un-powered sites “steal” power from the ablution block at Nossob, where there is a sign above the power-point in the kitchen area, indicating that it should not be done, while at Twee Rivieren, power is taken from the nearest powered site.

Some people seem unaware that in the ablution block there are different sinks for washing clothes and dishes, and are very happy to wash their dishes and pots in the laundry tubs.

Walking through campsites, maybe to take a short-cut, and not respecting one’s privacy, even passing between my vehicle and caravan, sometimes with a greeting, sometimes not!

Then there are drivers on the roads too who think they should have a better view than anybody else, and drive up onto the bank at the side of the road.

So that is my rant for now, I don’t know how many members echo my sentiments and how many think that I am “a grumpy old man”.
    You are not old and grumpy! You are 100% correct!
    "If you spend most of your time in the library in the fiction section, your thoughts and decisions will be based on fiction"

Luka Geertsema

3. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

Malcolm, you are old and you are grumpy, but you are entitled to be. So am I also grumpy, but not old yet .

Other than the damage they do to the whole system, this misbehavior from the prominent minority concerns me as it can only lead to further restrictions and overregulation in the future. After all we seek the freedom such destinations provide, freedom to obey the relatively few regulations.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

5. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

It really Riles me when Rubbernecks see it fit to drive past the Sign 'For GUESTS only' at Rooiputs >> We always camp at Site 3 and yes in they come We stop them and turn them around there and then after asking which camp they are staying at > Usually T Rivieren >> and we Take Pics and Let the Section Ranger have them >> Big Fines .

Yes If someone at Kruger and or Kgalagadi uses Power at a Communal Kitchen or through a Window of an unused hut >> I just unplug the plug and leave it out and repeat until the Fog clears in his Brain

Regarding People who wash Dishes and Braai Grids IN Clothes Sinks >. Well I have had a few 'Conversations' with These lower than animals at Tsendze who refer to themselves as evolved Humans >> One guy at Balule KNP put his Whole Cooler Box in the Freezer leaving no Room for others food >. I took it out at 10am and put it at his Large Conqueror Caravan for him to find at 6pm on his return to camp in his LC200

If only Folks didnt just watch and took action ,, These actions wouldnt happen again >> ask the Lady who was in charge of her Companys Tour Group from CT who were found on our return from a drive at Campsite 1 Rooiputs with 5 Vehicles (Hired by her high paying Overseas clients)>> Guided Self Drive tour. They were having a royal right Brunch at 1 >>. We were staying at 2 which shared the Toilet with 1 . I walked up to them and introduced myself to the Co Owner. and said I would love to come with her Company on a similar trip in the future. She eagerly gave me a brochure which stated that one of the 'FREE Benefits' would be Brunch daily at any unused campsite in Wild Africa Rooiputs. I then took Pics of all the Vehicles and a few of her clients as well as her after establishing they would be staying at T Rivieren the next 4 nights before going onto Nossob. I then asked her what part of 'Only booked Guests allowed ' on the sign at the entrance did she not understand. I then got them to pack up there and then and instructed them to use the Picnic Site at Melkvlei >> Their convoy left reluctantly >> I went straight down to TR and had my Pics downloaded at the Section Rangers Office. They were met at their campsite that night and each fined and their whole Group turffed out of the gate > The Owner of the Company then got some 'Free Advertising ' in the Cape Town press and Go Magazine complete with Pictures etc >. I hate taking the trouble to book my Stay at Rooiputs a year in advance on the phone only to have these Brain cripples spoil my trip >> Hey they dont even clean the loos after them>> after all we are only campers and they are ENTITLED
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2021/04/26 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    It really Riles me when Rubbernecks see it fit to drive past the Sign 'For GUESTS only' at Rooiputs >> We always camp at Site 3 and yes in they come We stop them and turn them around there and then after asking which camp they are staying at > Usually T Rivieren >> and we Take Pics and Let the Section Ranger have them >> Big Fines .

Yes If someone at Kruger and or Kgalagadi uses Power at a Communal Kitchen or through a Window of an unused hut >> I just unplug the plug and leave it out and repeat until the Fog clears in his Brain

Regarding People who wash Dishes and Braai Grids IN Clothes Sinks >. Well I have had a few 'Conversations' with These lower than animals who refer to themselves as evolved Humans >> One guy at Balule KNP put his Whole Cooler Box in the Freezer leaving no Room for others food >. I took it out at 10am and put it at his Large Conqueror Caravan for him to find at 6pm

If only Folks didnt just watch and took action ,, These actions wouldnt happen again >> ask the Lady who was in charge of her Companys Tour Group from CT who were at Campsite 1 Rooiputs with 5 Vehicles (Hired by her high paying Overseas clients>> Guided Self Drive tour. They were having a royal right Brunch at 1 >>. We were staying at 2 which shared the Toilet with 1 . I walked up to them and introduced myself to the Co Owner. and said I would love to come with her Company on a similar trip in the future. She eagerly gave me a brochure which stated that one of the 'FREE Benefits' would be Brunch daily at any unused campsite in Wild Africa Rooiputs. I then took Pics of all the Vehicles and a few of her clients as well as her after establishing they would be staying at T Rivieren the next 4 nights before going onto Nossob. I then asked her what part of 'Only booked Guests allowed ' on the sign at the entrance did she not understand. I then got them to pack up there and then and instructed them to use the Picnic Site at Melkvlei >> Their convoy left reluctantly >> I went straight down to TR and had my Pics downloaded at the Section Rangers Office. They were met at their campsite that night and each fined and their whole Group turffed out of the gate > The Owner of the Company then got some 'Free Advertising ' in the Cae Town press and Go Magazine complete with Pictures etc >. I hate taking the trouble to book my Stay at Rooiputs a year in advance on the phone only to have these Brain cripples spoil my trip >> Hey they dont even clean the loos after them
    Life will never be complete without the camp policeman.

You must be a real blast to be around.

Seriously - if stuff like this riles you so much, why do you even bother to go camping ?
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Yeah, you're a grumpy old man, just like me. All those things, and others, drive me dilly:

1. Keeping your engine idling at a sighting, especially when you've actually settled in. I don't care if it's hot, it could be the hinges of hell, turn off your car (exception - perhaps - ele herd blocking the road, then fine for escape purposes.
    2. Bright lights at your campsite. Recently in Satara some oke had a row of LEDs that blinded us through the bushes. Ridiculous. We go to these places for the night sky.(PS, they had a guitar and also sang ... )
    3. I don't care if you're Pavarotti, Ge Korsten or Steve Hofmeyer, leave the musical instruments at home, and don't sing. Go to McNichols, Warmbaths or Dragon Peaks if that's what you like. Night sounds people, not wannabees gargling with wasps.
    4. No music. Not in a wildlife area. None. Don't @ me, I go there for night sounds that don't include Celine Dion. Aventura is the spot for that.

I've had it, in Kwai, with a 4-party bunch of overlanders who arrived with everything, even the maid and man-servant, portable windy-drier, kids playing rugby. Fantastic ... matched only by the kids who played rugby next to the water hole at Sunday Pan in CKGR.

{Rant off}

10. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Life will never be complete without the camp policeman.

You must be a real blast to be around.

Seriously - if stuff like this riles you so much, why do you even bother to go camping ?
    If you find the behaviour Peter described acceptable, I wonder how enjoyable it is to camp next to you...
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Is this the anarchists - those wanting no or few camping laws to apply........versus....... those wanting the camping rule of law to be strictly applied and even happy to help apply the law.

Anything but campsite anarchy please! To prevent that you do need policemen, but there is a middle ground..
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2021/04/26 at 01:41 PM.
    Stanley Weakley.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    If you find the behaviour Peter described acceptable, I wonder how enjoyable it is to camp next to you...
    I never indicated that the behaviour was acceptable. I am actually very considerate of other people when I camp.

However, neither do I find Peter's behaviour acceptable. I find his behaviour just as inconsiderate as the behaviour he is describing.

It is, however, patently obvious that virtually everything irks him when he goes camping. In which case, I reckon he should just stay at home.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Regarding People who wash Dishes and Braai Grids IN Clothes Sinks >. Well I have had a few 'Conversations' with These lower than animals at Tsendze who refer to themselves as evolved Humans >> One guy at Balule KNP put his Whole Cooler Box in the Freezer leaving no Room for others food >. I took it out at 10am and put it at his Large Conqueror Caravan for him to find at 6pm on his return to camp in his LC200

If only Folks didnt just watch and took action ,, These actions wouldnt happen again >> ask the Lady who was in charge of her Companys Tour Group from CT who were found on our return from a drive at Campsite 1 Rooiputs with 5 Vehicles (Hired by her high paying Overseas clients)>> Guided Self Drive tour. They were having a royal right Brunch at 1 >>. We were staying at 2 which shared the Toilet with 1 . I walked up to them and introduced myself to the Co Owner. and said I would love to come with her Company on a similar trip in the future. She eagerly gave me a brochure which stated that one of the 'FREE Benefits' would be Brunch daily at any unused campsite in Wild Africa Rooiputs. I then took Pics of all the Vehicles and a few of her clients as well as her after establishing they would be staying at T Rivieren the next 4 nights before going onto Nossob. I then asked her what part of 'Only booked Guests allowed ' on the sign at the entrance did she not understand. I then got them to pack up there and then and instructed them to use the Picnic Site at Melkvlei >> Their convoy left reluctantly >> I went straight down to TR and had my Pics downloaded at the Section Rangers Office. They were met at their campsite that night and each fined and their whole Group turffed out of the gate > The Owner of the Company then got some 'Free Advertising ' in the Cape Town press and Go Magazine complete with Pictures etc >. I hate taking the trouble to book my Stay at Rooiputs a year in advance on the phone only to have these Brain cripples spoil my trip >> Hey they dont even clean the loos after them>> after all we are only campers and they are ENTITLED
    Jeez that is disgusting... now I'm grumpy too, glad you gave them the Marching orders.
    RechardT

Now- Toyo GD6 2.8- Creed

One day is One day- Dodge Ram 6.7l TD.

You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rechardt For This Useful Post:

I never indicated that the behaviour was acceptable. I am actually very considerate of other people when I camp.

However, neither do I find Peter's behaviour acceptable. I find his behaviour just as inconsiderate as the behaviour he is describing.

It is, however, patently obvious that virtually everything irks him when he goes camping. In which case, I reckon he should just stay at home.
    Just had a wonderful Week camping in the Baviaans absolutely magic just the way it should be

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Just had a wonderful Week camping in the Baviaans absolutely magic just the way it should be
    Nobody to chew out ? Weird. Thought that I would have made it less fun.

Look - I'm with you in terms of people just arbitrarily brunching at open camp sites. That is not on. However, simply unplugging stuff or moving stuff (especially if there were perishables in the heat) is also totally unacceptable.

My parents were recently in a spot of bother during a trip to the Richtersveld when their second battery died. No way to replace it where we were, so we stole power wherever we could to keep their food fresh. If you have come by and arbitrarily unplugged it, we would have had words.

I'm all for order in camp sites. But I don't like "self appointed camping policemen".
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Off the Kgalagadi Topic

I recently stayed at a SANPARKS campsite in The Namaqua National Park.

Now as you know, all your details is on the SANPARKS data base irrespective where you have booked or stayed. Name . ID no etc..

Interesting info from the lady at the Hondeklip Gate. All vehicles in Namaqua are tracked on a system..
    The moment you vacate your campsite in the Park, rangers come and inspect the site and Eco toilets.
    If they find anything that was infringing or " disgusting" they make a note of it on the system and you will never ever stay in a SANPARKS place again
    RechardT

Now- Toyo GD6 2.8- Creed

One day is One day- Dodge Ram 6.7l TD.

You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

23. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to rechardt For This Useful Post:

I'm all for order in camp sites. But I don't like "self appointed camping policemen".
    Self appointed camp policeman can and one day will police the wrong person, not wrong in what he was doing, but somebody who had a bad day. TSHF.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred56 For This Useful Post:

Die meerderheid (indien nie almal) wat so lekker by Polentswa en Rooiputs gaan draai en die kampeerders pla betree Botswana onwettig want hulle het nie by die grenspos met hul Covidtoetskaarte gerapporteer nie.

Botswana behoort hulle vas te vat.

(PS. Hoekom sal iemand oor Baviaans of Namaqua skryf as die fred oor Kgalagadi gaan? Die twee plekke is 1000km uit mekaar! Lekker dof en onvanpas.)
    Last edited by JohanMaree; 2021/04/26 at 02:47 PM.
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Malcolm, all the happenings you describe make me feel old and grumpy as well.

The driving through and having breaks at Rooiputs have been going on since forever. Pity to hear it happening at Polentswa as well. Although a couple of years ago we had a convoy of yahoo's taking a game drive on the Polentswa trail then obviously returning later into the flow of traffic.

I wish park authorities in both Kruger and KTP could do more rule enforcement on the ground.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/04/26 at 07:38 PM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Then I misinterpreted your post.
    Thing is, that a lot of people just don't know boundaries. They feel entitled to do as they please. If their own moral compass doesn't tell them it's not on to shove an entire cooler box into the community freezer or walk through other people's campsites, respect campsites as no go zones for non residents and nobody speaks up, it just becomes worse. In the end, those that abide by the rules (either regulations, laws or common decency) and dare to speak up are the ones in the wrong all of a sudden.

If you absolutely HAVE to nick electricity as in the example you have given further down, speak to the people around you and explain your predicament. Don't just plug your stuff in. Don't just occupy they entire freezer with your cooler box. Put your contents into the fridge or freezer. Just taking up the entire space it making YOUR problem everyone's problem, in my opinion.
    Rather ask for assistance and understanding from the fellow campers and I'm sure the feedback will be a lot more positive than what a lot of people would expect.
    At least write a note.
    And when I say "you" I don't mean you as in Ian... I mean people. In general.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Then I misinterpreted your post.
    Thing is, that a lot of people just don't know boundaries. They feel entitled to do as they please. If their own moral compass doesn't tell them it's not on to shove an entire cooler box into the community freezer or walk through other people's campsites, respect campsites as no go zones for non residents and nobody speaks up, it just becomes worse. In the end, those that abide by the rules (either regulations, laws or common decency) and dare to speak up are the ones in the wrong all of a sudden.

If you absolutely HAVE to nick electricity as in the example you have given further down, speak to the people around you and explain your predicament. Don't just plug your stuff in. Don't just occupy they entire freezer with your cooler box. Put your contents into the fridge or freezer. Just taking up the entire space it making YOUR problem everyone's problem, in my opinion.
    Rather ask for assistance and understanding from the fellow campers and I'm sure the feedback will be a lot more positive than what a lot of people would expect.
    At least write a note.
    And when I say "you" I don't mean you as in Ian... I mean people. In general.
    Patrick, I actually get that. However, having a discussion with people as opposed to being passive aggressive and simply unplugging stuff or moving the stuff whilst people are out is probably more the way to go.

Generally, I dont use 'communal' anything - apart from the ablutions and washing up facilities. Even resort camping with the kids, I use my own power.

The thing is - Peter was not given a God given right to police Rooiputs. Or Balule. Or wherever. He is very obviously one of the camp police and one runs into them all the time, all over the place.

Referring to people who might not have known the difference between a clothes sink and a washing up sink as sub human (or in whatever condescending manner he did) is not on. As was his rant. If it works him up that much, he should rather consider doing something else. He is going to give hinself a heart attack or something...

What I find interesting in terms of the camp police is that in 99% of occasions when I have observed issues they might have had, there was no conversation and only some sort of nasty passive response. And this is what irks me. Generally, when reasons for specific erring behaviour have been pointed out, they are very quick to retract anything.

This is not to mean I have had many run-ins with camp police. I have not - I am actually fairly well behaved. But I have been camping for years, and despite really not liking people really much, I can spend ages watching them...

My point is: whilst non-adherance to rules is a problem at camp sites, the camp police also are. And I can guarantee you that Peter, and possibly everybody else complaining here, would probably get a better response by having a discussion with people instead of climbing onto their high horses and getting peeved about things.

Just my 2c. When I start reading posts like his, I generally.only hear 'whine whine whine'. My last statement is meant with all due respect.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

32. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Correct I think. It is all a case of good manners and a decent upbringing; from both from the perpetrator and the complainer, if at all possible.
    Stanley Weakley.

OR

34. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

I can see both sides of the coin as well...on the one hand you have a "camp policeman" doing something everybody shies away from, but the rest is just tooo glad "somebody said something". I dare you to confront these Rambo's, often in their late 30's early 40's after a few brannewyn & cokes and see the responses you get. So what happens, passive aggressiveness steps in...

On the other hand, the well brought up or people with a genuine crises will accept the rebuke or as said earlier, probably enlighten people up-front that they have an issue. No issue with that and the people who have are the ones with the issue.

Unfortunately in this country Laws & Rules have become more of a "general guideline" although admittedly, luckily still not the majority, but "that 10%" of people..
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to walkabout For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast