Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Kgalagadi behaviour

The signs are there so you would expect a normal person to obey the sign and when they disregard the signage they should expect people who generally stick to the guidelines to get upset
    Isuzu KB 72 2012

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to springant For This Useful Post:

Maybe not really on topic but this all reminds me of a family Kruger trip we did when I was still very young. My dad and uncle in the front seats and us in the back seat of my dads Ford Courier. It had some rubbish frontloader cd player thing that would act up every now and then.
    We got to a sighting and my uncle tries to put the (already very soft) volume of the radio all the way down. instead of the volume going down it goes up. He pushes the button even more until eventually the volume is on maximum. So there we are, parked at a sighting, with music blaring at full volume while my dad and uncle are trying to work out how to switch it off (it didnt go off with the ignition).
    Eventually my dad managed to work out how to pull the radio face off (that old security feature these radios had).

Needless to say we made a hasty departure of that sighting, and that radio was sent to the bin straight away!

I can only imagine what the other people at that sighting must have thought, and the cursing.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    I found a school calendar with 2022 dates on the Department of Education's website, but I guess each school could make small changes.

It is very frustrating not to get a booking; March and April are very popular. Due to weather and school holidays.

But I have to ask myself if I want to go to such a fully booked, relatively small park especially in the light of this thread. One is bound to run into a yahoo at least once a day. Do I really, really need that, despite loving the park dearly?
    Sadly my wife's school is one of those odd ball ones that aligns itself neither completely with government or private schools. There is therefore no point in trying to divine their intentions from any calendar other than their own.

I have tried writing to the teacher to complain but it was pointed out to me that seeing as my wife is the teacher this would not work

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    It is indeed a luxury, as once life circumstances change, to be able to visit the bush out of the most popular seasons. Advancing age has some compensations.
    As you would probably know, it was a practice amongst many members of the black population who were not registered at birth to add on a few years to their age when registering for an ID book so that they could go on pension earlier than their age actually allowed. At the time I heard this story I thought this was quite stupid but with the allure of parks out of season perhaps in the right light I could pass for a youthful 41

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    life will never be complete without the camp policeman.

You must be a real blast to be around.

Seriously - if stuff like this riles you so much, why do you even bother to go camping ?
    ian, harsh comments on some very reasonable comments by the writer. He's absolutely right - folk go to such places expecting decent behaviour from others and not the yob element (from big cities?). Politeness and decorum is not much to ask for. If you get riled at the writer's balanced comments about being riled, then why bother writing on this excellent site. Regards, russell (four years living in a tent in the kalahari).

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rdf007 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rdf007 View Post
    ian, harsh comments on some very reasonable comments by the writer. He's absolutely right - folk go to such places expecting decent behaviour from others and not the yob element (from big cities?). Politeness and decorum is not much to ask for. If you get riled at the writer's balanced comments about being riled, then why bother writing on this excellent site. Regards, russell (four years living in a tent in the kalahari).
    I presume you read a single post of mine and not my later comments ? Seriously. You must also be a blast to be around.

I think there should always be some give and take. The writer obviously only gives or takes. There is obviously no middle ground...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

I have a problem with the approach with a transgression of the rules means that you are wrong and therefore any punishment is justified. A couple of years back in Nossob we had a vehicle being towed into the campsite well after gate closing time, the normal chatter among the campers ranged from how dare they rules iz rules to I wonder what adventure they have just had. It turns out that they were a family from France Mom , Dad and two young boys their hired vehicle broke down on the crossing from Mabua. They made it into camp thanks to the help from a tow from a passing traveler who unfortunately could not get them over the final dunes, the good samaritan then solicited the help from park officials who got them into camp.

By the time they came into camp they had flattened their battery and the fridge was not operational and it's contents at risk, they were desperate for power. All the powered sites were occupied although they had booked one and feeling quite self conscious as foreigners they did not want to rock the boat so they camped as close as they could to the ablutions and plugged their fridge into the power at the ablutions hoping to squeeze out the last couple of hours of power out of the system before the generators got switched off. This with the permission of the camp officials.

Now all one needs is a self appointed Kamp Kommandant to come long and unplug the fridge in total ignorance of the original sin which was committed by the person occupying their powered site illegally. That would have been totally unnecessary with the potential of destroying a family's once in a lifetime holiday that they have saved for ages to fulfill. Thankfully nothing untoward happened and when I chatted with them the next day they were some what overwhelmed by the help they received, I was not surprised but reading this thread it seems like they might have just dodged a bullet.

11. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

This is my point.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

13. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

What a discussion I totally agree with mcowell, grumpy ol man ....NOT in my opinion!!!

I have had such a laugh though at all the replies.... better than a live comedian show.

Wish I had a solution, sadly I don't have, but thankyou for some entertaining reading

The thread took a bit of a walkabout. As per forum style

I read the OP and looked again at his issues. Let me just first of all say: I despise entitlement, the 'special ones' amongst us and most of all self appointed policemen and kamp kommandante.

The OP mentioned:

1. Entering Rooiputs and Polentswa without staying there. Been going on for yonks. It is a severe transgression IMO and it is the park management's duty to address this harshly. Will I confront someone having a picnic? No. Unless, of course, it is in my campsite. Will I take a photo and report them? Probably. I think reporting them is the right course of action. I don't think it is necessary to jump out of your skin when someone has to use the toilet. Emergencies happen.

2. Residents of Rooiputs and Polentswa ignoring gate times. Also been happening forever. Again park management duty to make work off. I ignore it. We might have been 5 minutes late at Polentswa because we sat in silence and awe right in the riverbed, so I will not cast stones. If the kamp kommandant corners me about being 5 minutes late, he will meet the less pleasant side of me.

3. Stealing power at campsites. If it is done out of entitlement and being just so 'special', I disagree with it. It will bother me, but I will leave it be. It is no skin off my teeth. And as said, there may be legitimate reasons why people do it, so I will never just unplug a cord. If power keeps tripping, whoever is bothered by it can report it to camp management.

4. Using wrong sinks. Well if you are stupid you are stupid. There is no help for that. I don't ever wash my dishes or laundry directly in the provided sinks, I use my own 'skotteltjies' or wash dishes at the campsite.

5. Short cuts through campsites. If you camp close to the ablutions, this is a risk. We had it in TR where the only half decent site was almost next to the ablutions. It annoys me, but we try to camp as far as possible from the facilities anyway and I will not get into a fight about this. A strategically placed washing line may appear though. Problem solved. Plus we probably all made the mistake of inadvertently walking through someone's campsite, especially in full or poorly demarcated sites.

6. Driving off the road. This makes my blood boil and these mamparras should be removed from park permanently and all future park visits banned. This is a conscious decision and there is simply no excuse for it. It does not happen by accident or due to urgent need, like for instance plugging into the bathroom due to electrical or vehicle difficulties. It happens frequently in Mabua as well.

So, rules are rules and will normally be obeyed by a certain type of person without prompting or policing. Other types will make a point of disobeying rules, any rule because of who they are.

For me certain transgressions fall in a more severe categories than other, although lesser transgressions still break a rule. As Rob mentioned, look carefully at the rules next time and look at your own behaviour. We all do something wrong at some stage when visiting a park. It is not right, for sure, but the behaviour (and entitlement) of the self appointed policemen who just unplug electrical cords, are just as wrong.

Did I mention I hate kamp kommandante?
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/05/04 at 10:35 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

16. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

While it seems that the bulk of the 4x4 community recognise and follow rules there is still a "vrotkol" that argues for a more casual (dare I say African?) approach where rules are merely optional guidelines or "catch me if you can". Such is SA; although quite a few rule breakers I have seen are foreign tourists. I will gripe about rule breakers but, if warranted, I very seldom "take the law in my own hands", rather report it and be done. Sadly the training, commitment and experience of some camp staff makes this a waste of time but I look to myself and try and minimise my impact on the environment and stay within the rules; even though they may seem nonsensical at times.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mudgrubber For This Useful Post:

I seriously believe in that concept of the 'reasonable man' thing. In short, rules are not black and white, but are various scales of grey.

Hogging power from an ablution is not reasonable. Neither is unlugging cables. The folk who advocate this sort of behaviour are just as wrong as bad mannered campers.

Anyways, this is my last post on this topic.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

We too have had similar problems at Rooiputs , Kruger and other Sanparks reserves as well as CKGR.
    There is always a % of unscrupulous/ inconsiderate/selfish people who need guidance. It's not policing, it's manners and consideration.
    We agree with Malcolm.
    That is not grumpy.
    By remaining silent one is condoning such behaviour.
    Chris Goosen

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goose1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Me and the boss work together and travel together. My leave is always as good as approved. Even if I have 0 leave days.

Lucky devil!!!!!

Chris.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisLab For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
    While it seems that the bulk of the 4x4 community recognise and follow rules there is still a "vrotkol" that argues for a more casual (dare I say African?) approach where rules are merely optional guidelines or "catch me if you can". Such is SA; although quite a few rule breakers I have seen are foreign tourists. I will gripe about rule breakers but, if warranted, I very seldom "take the law in my own hands", rather report it and be done. Sadly the training, commitment and experience of some camp staff makes this a waste of time but I look to myself and try and minimise my impact on the environment and stay within the rules; even though they may seem nonsensical at times.
    People seem to love enforcing rules when it suits them. I am still keen to meet a Gauteng driver that stops at stop streets. I absolutely agree with your views above

I have never had any of these problems staying in lodges, hotels or guest houses.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan ‘n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daar’s nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

I agree with EVERYTHING that was said in this thread....from the grumpy old men, to those objecting to camp policemen!
    However Let me say that there are ways to deal with such problematic situations...
    First would be to have a friendly word.
    If that does not resolve the situation or provide a good explanation for a perceived transgression, then escalate to a higher level. Do not escalate it yourself!
    (Don't chop up the guy's electrical chord with your axe! You might get a shock!)
    That higher level of intervention would have to be camp management or some such person.
    The entity of camp policemen is a bit of a conondrum. Some people will with the best intentions take it upon themselves to put others in their place...sometimes that can go over really bad...
    If you feel that you need to do this sort of thing, why don't you become part of the honorary rangers? These people have certain privileges but need to perform certain duties - ...I have not seen any of them around for the longest time! What happened to them?
    I would love to be an honorary ranger...However I live too far from places where hon. rangers actually would have some impact...An honarary ranger in my opinion has some authority to order people into doing the right thing. Sort of official, and if you don't heed them, you should expect some poop to be coming your way!

I have been at receiving end of rebukes - mostly unfairly I might add, and I have been a position where I wished I had the guts, to shout at the top of my voice for someone to just: "Shut the f.. up! It is already way past posted quiet time and your voice madam, is really B A D!"
    As it is: there are certain things that just should not happen!
    You do not occupy a site not booked for you!
    You do not picnic where you are not supposed to picnic - certainly not on someonelese's site!
    You do not invade another's privacy!
    It is rude to make any kind of noise after - well the rule says 9 pm...Singing is making a noise - talking loudly is making a noise...playing lion calls is just stupid! (Mind; there was a time time when I thought it would be really cool to call some lions closer through playing these myself...)

People are generally quite reasonable if approached them in a reasonable fashion.
    Nature is there for everyone to enjoy and if someone interferes with YOUR enjoyment of nature I believe you have every right to inform them of that...if you get called a camp policeman for standing up for yourself - so be it! Just as long as you do it in a pleasant sort of way.
    John van Dyk
    Land Cruiser VX 4.7l V8 1999
    Mercedes Benz E 200K - nou seun se vrou se ryding
    Mercedes - Benz GLC 250 -2017
    Noname Boswa - binnekort in die mark - Augustus
    VW California 2.0TDi 2017

This debate is about to reference a much wider audience...

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/tr...s-parks-2021-5

Quote Originally Posted by !Xo View Post

Maybe Dirk must register the forum.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan ‘n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daar’s nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

!Xo

Quote Originally Posted by !Xo View Post

Kgalagadi is not on the list given in the article......
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
    People seem to love enforcing rules when it suits them. I am still keen to meet a Gauteng driver that stops at stop streets. I absolutely agree with your views above
    Kan ek jou my adres stuur. En sommer 'n paar pelle s'n ook?
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

34. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast