Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Kgalagadi behaviour

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    If you find the behaviour Peter described acceptable, I wonder how enjoyable it is to camp next to you...
    100%...agree with you!
    Jannie Engelbrecht

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    I have heard a contributing factor to this is the tourism companies that do block bookings in case they get clients looking for those dates. Then close to the dates they cancel if no one has taken it.

I suppose you could just watch out for cancellations but how do you go on a two week trip at five days notice.
    That is all hear say...no truth in that!
    Jannie Engelbrecht

Sadly, it is the fast deteriorating behaviour of the camping community as described below that made me sell my camper and vow never to go camping again, ever! I am afraid that camping has just become too unpleasant, too dangerous, and too expensive!

Quote Originally Posted by mcowell View Post
    We have recently returned from a very enjoyable 3 weeks in Kgalagadi, on both the SA and Bots sides; please tell me if I am a grumpy, old man or if I do have reason to be grumpy?

I found the behaviour of, an admitted minority of the visitors to Kgalagadi, very disappointing. It seems that the general lawlessness and disrespect for others in South Africa is now creeping into the Park as well.

There is clear signage that Rooiputs is not a “tourist area” but people insist on “touring” through the campsites. While we were camped on site 4 a vehicle drove through between my caravan and the A-frame and couldn’t understand why I was grumpy. This has been a problem at Rooiputs for a long time, but now it is happening at Polentswa too on a regular basis. Not only drive throughs, but also stopping for lunch, even at a campsite that is occupied while the legal camper is out for a drive. All of this driving through Rooiputs and Polentswa is “doubly” illegal at the moment as one needs a Covid clearance to go onto the Botswana side.

Another irritation at Rooiputs and Polentswa is the blatant disregard of Park opening and closing times, by the campers, who leave early or return late.

My next point is the way campers in un-powered sites “steal” power from the ablution block at Nossob, where there is a sign above the power-point in the kitchen area, indicating that it should not be done, while at Twee Rivieren, power is taken from the nearest powered site.

Some people seem unaware that in the ablution block there are different sinks for washing clothes and dishes, and are very happy to wash their dishes and pots in the laundry tubs.

Walking through campsites, maybe to take a short-cut, and not respecting one’s privacy, even passing between my vehicle and caravan, sometimes with a greeting, sometimes not!

Then there are drivers on the roads too who think they should have a better view than anybody else, and drive up onto the bank at the side of the road.

So that is my rant for now, I don’t know how many members echo my sentiments and how many think that I am “a grumpy old man”.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bart Joseph For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jannie Engelbrecht View Post
    That is all hear say...no truth in that!
    It is the most logical explanation for empty campsites at places like Ihaha when you have checked bookings and been told everything is full. That or just terrible admin, which is possible I suppose, but it's been a thing for a long time now.

Quote Originally Posted by mcowell View Post
    We have recently returned from a very enjoyable 3 weeks in Kgalagadi, on both the SA and Bots sides; please tell me if I am a grumpy, old man or if I do have reason to be grumpy?

I found the behaviour of, an admitted minority of the visitors to Kgalagadi, very disappointing. It seems that the general lawlessness and disrespect for others in South Africa is now creeping into the Park as well.

There is clear signage that Rooiputs is not a “tourist area” but people insist on “touring” through the campsites. While we were camped on site 4 a vehicle drove through between my caravan and the A-frame and couldn’t understand why I was grumpy. This has been a problem at Rooiputs for a long time, but now it is happening at Polentswa too on a regular basis. Not only drive throughs, but also stopping for lunch, even at a campsite that is occupied while the legal camper is out for a drive. All of this driving through Rooiputs and Polentswa is “doubly” illegal at the moment as one needs a Covid clearance to go onto the Botswana side.

Another irritation at Rooiputs and Polentswa is the blatant disregard of Park opening and closing times, by the campers, who leave early or return late.

My next point is the way campers in un-powered sites “steal” power from the ablution block at Nossob, where there is a sign above the power-point in the kitchen area, indicating that it should not be done, while at Twee Rivieren, power is taken from the nearest powered site.

Some people seem unaware that in the ablution block there are different sinks for washing clothes and dishes, and are very happy to wash their dishes and pots in the laundry tubs.

Walking through campsites, maybe to take a short-cut, and not respecting one’s privacy, even passing between my vehicle and caravan, sometimes with a greeting, sometimes not!

Then there are drivers on the roads too who think they should have a better view than anybody else, and drive up onto the bank at the side of the road.

So that is my rant for now, I don’t know how many members echo my sentiments and how many think that I am “a grumpy old man”.
    Alan Jarman

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Life will never be complete without the camp policeman.

You must be a real blast to be around.

Seriously - if stuff like this riles you so much, why do you even bother to go camping ?
    I disagree from you. One pays for your stay and expect to get your money's worth. Respect other people and respect the bush experience. Don't spoil it for others.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andrefranskraal For This Useful Post:

Andre, whilst agreeing with you, I feel that the more diplomatic approach works best and tends to have less chance of spoiling your own holiday. The type of person prone to be a nuisance camper will often thrive on the aggressive type of approach like that of a policeman with a search warrant.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Having just returned from 2 weeks in the KTP all I can say is that it will have to be a very special occasion to get me back there.

The levels of entitlement, rudeness, selfishness, behavior at sightings and total disregard for the rules and other campers / visitors beggars belief.

After the good summer rains the grass cover is fantastic and bodes well for the future seasons - also for the 1000's of mice.

The mouse population explosion has led to a massive increase in snake activity, even this late in the autumn, which resulted in me counting 7 roadkill snakes between TR and Melkvlei alone.
    The number of roadkill Ground Squirrels is shocking and to top it off anywhere between 30 to 40 LBJ's, mostly S Weavers, making the most of the abundant grass, carcasses lying on the roads.
    My question is ... at what speed must one be traveling at to drive over snakes and Ground Squirrels? Surely it is virtually impossible to kill a flying bird traveling at between 20 and 35 km/h?

Finally I will leave you with these two images that I took. Have a look and tell me what you think is going on and where - plus what should be done?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H09F2475.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	253.3 KB 
ID:	616067   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H09F2471.jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	616068  
    Last edited by Oreo; 2021/05/20 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Erased number plate details
    Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oreo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    ... - plus what should be done?
    Lead pills. Is what should be done.

I do hope you presented these photos to the first park official you encountered
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    Having just returned from 2 weeks in the KTP all I can say is that it will have to be a very special occasion to get me back there.

The levels of entitlement, rudeness, selfishness, behavior at sightings and total disregard for the rules and other campers / visitors beggars belief.

After the good summer rains the grass cover is fantastic and bodes well for the future seasons - also for the 1000's of mice.

The mouse population explosion has led to a massive increase in snake activity, even this late in the autumn, which resulted in me counting 7 roadkill snakes between TR and Melkvlei alone.
    The number of roadkill Ground Squirrels is shocking and to top it off anywhere between 30 to 40 LBJ's, mostly S Weavers, making the most of the abundant grass, carcasses lying on the roads.
    My question is ... at what speed must one be traveling at to drive over snakes and Ground Squirrels? Surely it is virtually impossible to kill a flying bird traveling at between 20 and 35 km/h?

Finally I will leave you with these two images that I took. Have a look and tell me what you think is going on and where - plus what should be done?
    the problem here is that, if they do get attacked by an wild animal in its own habitat it will be put out. It should be reversed as they are disobeying the rules.

Starting to question our booking for the end of the year. Haven't been there in years and years and was/am so excited to go back.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok BiTDi 4Motion
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    Starting to question our booking for the end of the year. Haven't been there in years and years and was/am so excited to go back.
    No please. The good people must keep going and dilute out the dogs and idiots.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    Make the most of it.
    We were inundated by village idiots and Toyota owners in 70's and 200 series with more upgrades than Pamela Anderson blasting up and down with their conquerors. The cherry on the cake was on said 70's owner shouting to his daughter to find out waar die fok Oom whatever was on the CB radio because they needed to start the fire. Only then to turn on Steve Hofmeyer. We left the picnic site and decided to find peace elsewhere. I'm also pretty sure we stood on someone's toes along the line too. The issue is parks are getting cramped and everyone seems to be getting more entitled.
    If the 21st century's idea of a knight in shining armor is a Toyota with a snorkel, mankind is doomed.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gilbertr14 For This Useful Post:

Precisely my recent experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbertr14 View Post
    Make the most of it.
    We were inundated by village idiots and Toyota owners in 70's and 200 series with more upgrades than Pamela Anderson blasting up and down with their conquerors. The cherry on the cake was on said 70's owner shouting to his daughter to find out waar die fok Oom whatever was on the CB radio because they needed to start the fire. Only then to turn on Steve Hofmeyer. We left the picnic site and decided to find peace elsewhere. I'm also pretty sure we stood on someone's toes along the line too. The issue is parks are getting cramped and everyone seems to be getting more entitled.
    Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

No words required.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    “A wise man understands, an intelligent man knows, but a fool pretends to know.”

Luka Geertsema

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    No words required.
    That's a Darwin award just begging to happen
    1995 Defender 110 300tdi (nick-named Alfie)
    1978 Mercedes Benz 450SL
    2000 Volvo V40 T4 (on the market - What offers?)

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CraigWatt For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Joseph View Post
    Sadly, it is the fast deteriorating behaviour of the camping community as described below that made me sell my camper and vow never to go camping again, ever! I am afraid that camping has just become too unpleasant, too dangerous, and too expensive!

Then loud talk and laugh for hours ; yes ! passing 9 pm waiting for the lights to go off ;also campers coming into camp before 2pm .... choosing better sites as people normally do ...; and yes also changing campsites for better shade ;....imo sanparks needs to reassess the booking procedure ;when one books one chooses fixed campsite numbers and that is it ;why are there white box power point plugs with numbers ? system used at ezemvelo works ; there is no rush no speeding to get to campsites for better shade ; your campside number is your campsite number - booked and that is it !
    IMO not everyone needs shade under the trees ; i have a bat wing so i need space and invariably cannot park under trees ; ditto for RTT 's that might not park under the trees ; my opinion anyway... ; in extreme... i have been asked at 8:30 am while taking my breakfast in skukuza if i was going to vacate ; which was the case and people with a caravan parked outside the campsite waiting for me to vacate ; .... booked for gona -rezhou in zim for 2022 and i have and know my campsites numbers already '; not a statement of booking saying in at 2pm out at 10 am ; sanparks procedure needs to be updated ; things might improve ; at the moment a bit of a circus !
    Last edited by Jayefe; 2021/05/24 at 05:58 PM.

No words required.
    Its OK its a get out Pick Nic Spot so is Properly Legal. The Leopard will not attack and I bet it just stayed there over 'Our Table' at Melkvlei >. if it did climb down it would run >> at night different story >> amazing it chose THAT tree

No words required.
    Darwin is very eager to hand out a few awards.
    2018 Ranger DC 2.2 XLS Auto 4x4
    Bushtech Canopy and goodies
    Canon 5DMkIV with L-goodies.

Hopefully the leopard knows it is a picknic spot where humans may exit legally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Its OK its a get out Pick Nic Spot so is Properly Legal. The Leopard will not attack and I bet it just stayed there over 'Our Table' at Melkvlei >. if it did climb down it would run >> at night different story >> amazing it chose THAT tree
    “A wise man understands, an intelligent man knows, but a fool pretends to know.”

Luka Geertsema

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast