Default Car`s License early Renewal question

Hi Alll, Quick question. A friend of mine is going abroad for a period of 6-9months, He should be back by December if all goes well.

His vehicle license is expiring in August of this year. How long before the expiry date date can he renew his license? He went to the post office this morning, but he got the "System are offline" excuse. He is leaving this friday.

His car will still be use use by a family member while he is gone, so it needs to be licensed for insurance purposes.

Yes, he can go to the police department and get a affidated etc etc.... But that is only valid for a few weeks

Thanks!

Default Re: Car`s License early Renewal question

Why not get him to fill out the renewal forms and you go get his license.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

He can renew at any time. The license is always valid for 12 month, so he will recieved”credit” for the months the license is still valid, and will need to pay in the difference to take it back to 12 months. The new disc will be issued and will be valid for 12 months from the date of issue.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Scheepers85 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Why not get him to fill out the renewal forms and you go get his license.
    We wanted to, but

If the owner is not renewing the license himself, he must sign a police affidavit allowing me to take license out on his behalf, as well as a certified copy of his ID. (Big sign up at post office) these affidavits and certified copies are only valid for certain period (4weeks i Believe). His license expires in 4 Months.

Its not as simple as taking a letter and a copy of ID anymore, unless someone else has another way?

He is fine with loosing out on 4 months license if he renews early, rather that than an unlicensed vehicle for 4-5 months,

My local post office never asks me for identification when renewing my licence. I just give them the form and pay.
    2018 Ranger DC 2.2 XLS Auto 4x4
    Bushtech Canopy and goodies
    Canon 5DMkIV with L-goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Vormoto View Post
    We wanted to, but

If the owner is not renewing the license himself, he must sign a police affidavit allowing me to take license out on his behalf, as well as a certified copy of his ID. (Big sign up at post office) these affidavits and certified copies are only valid for certain period (4weeks i Believe). His license expires in 4 Months.

Its not as simple as taking a letter and a copy of ID anymore, unless someone else has another way?

He is fine with loosing out on 4 months license if he renews early, rather that than an unlicensed vehicle for 4-5 months,
    its become a ballache, the company has a number of vehicles and in the past we simply sent a driver, a copy of the proxy ID and cash to get our licenses renewed. As you said lately its an avidavit + certified ID copy and even then they are giving him grief to renew.
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

Hi Alll, Quick question. A friend of mine is going abroad for a period of 6-9months, He should be back by December if all goes well.

His vehicle license is expiring in August of this year. How long before the expiry date date can he renew his license? He went to the post office this morning, but he got the "System are offline" excuse. He is leaving this friday.

His car will still be use use by a family member while he is gone, so it needs to be licensed for insurance purposes.

Yes, he can go to the police department and get a affidated etc etc.... But that is only valid for a few weeks

Thanks!
    I don't know why people bother with the Post Office anymore.
    The City Council issues licenses and they will renew at any time and he will pay the balance of the current amount's credit and the new year's fee.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    I don't know why people bother with the Post Office anymore.
    The City Council issues licenses and they will renew at any time and he will pay the balance of the current amount's credit and the new year's fee.
    Depends which province you're in. In the Northern Cape no municipality can renew your licence, only the post office. Not sure what the situation in the OP's Eastern Cape is. In the Western Cape you have to renew a Cape Town registered car in Cape Town. I tried to renew a Cape Town registered car in Beaufort West, which is Western Cape after I moved to the NC. No go they said. You have to do it in Cape Town.

It varies from province to province.

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Depends which province you're in. In the Northern Cape no municipality can renew your licence, only the post office. Not sure what the situation in the OP's Eastern Cape is. In the Western Cape you have to renew a Cape Town registered car in Cape Town. I tried to renew a Cape Town registered car in Beaufort West, which is Western Cape after I moved to the NC. No go they said. You have to do it in Cape Town.

It varies from province to province.
    OK, thanks for that.
    Live and learn.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by Scheepers85 View Post
    He can renew at any time. The license is always valid for 12 month, so he will recieved”credit” for the months the license is still valid, and will need to pay in the difference to take it back to 12 months. The new disc will be issued and will be valid for 12 months from the date of issue.
    This is correct, License has been taken out, got credit for remaining months, new expiry date 12 months from now.

Thanks
    Last edited by Vormoto; 2021/04/29 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Spelling correction

This is correct, License has been taken out, got credit for remaining months, new expiry date 12 months from now.

Thanks
    Yes I did the same 2 years ago when we went to Europe for 3 months , I did 2 cars and was told that they accept money anytime , but do believe that the actual owner has to do it recently but only at the post office? at the license center anyone can , this is to stop the motor trade using the convenience of the post office ? is that correct?
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5