Default A current report on the difficulties of driving the length of Mozambique.

I am not really one for knocking fellow African countries, but for some years now have had the impression that Mozambique might be one of the most difficult to traverse as a vehicle-based overlander. The article below is interesting and also I fear, accurate.

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...gh-mozambique/
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

Default Re: A current report on the difficulties of driving the length of Mozambique.

Interesting article Doc.

Common to see the deterioration of roads and infrastructure, the demanding "handouts".
    Hell of a lot of roadblocks, cops and military must be hungry.

Maybe they need the help of Cuban Engineers to sort everything out.

Default Re: A current report on the difficulties of driving the length of Mozambique.

I'm shocked!
    “If you want something you've never had
    You must be willing to do something you've never done.”

Quote Originally Posted by Steady View Post
    I'm shocked!
    Really?

2021 FJ Cruiser

We drove the length of the coast from Tanzania down to before Beira, where we moved inland to Gorongoza, Zinave, Banhine, coming back into SA through the Kruger Transfrontier park. That was in mid 2017. We had been wanting to go for a while, mainly because I felt that the oil/gas discoveries in the north were going to really mess things up, and we wanted to go before that happened.

We were expecting the worst, but it was actually fine: generally other than a couple of scary moments with AK47's held by torn T-shirts and slip slops around Gorongoza, the military roadblocks were reasonably friendly (though of course generally asking for something to make their day easier....). People wise, we felt safer than in parts of southern Tanzania. Other than when we ventured off the roads to lesser tracks, when I really was very aware of the mine problem.

The more recent problems in Cabo Delgado would completely preclude travel to northern Moz for us now. At the time, that was the highlight of the trip, absolute paradise in the north. And awesome people.

Anyway: this doesn't really mean much, everyone has different experiences and perceives things in different ways. Even then we could see that Moz seemed to be falling apart from an infrastructural point of view. And those huge tolls/tariffs/fees cannot be denied. But really: thats nothing new. Maybe just worse now.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

7. The Following User Says Thank You to zoneout For This Useful Post:

Good article.

Mozambique is indeed crumbling. Those like Zoneout who have travelled the length of it will possibly testify as to how hard it is for a centralized government based in the far south to even pretend to have much control as to what happens in the rest of the country.

The place is vast and a it would be a nightmare to run properly even for a sensible and functioning administration, let alone for the various cleptocracies that have been in charge in the last 20/30 years.

If you chat to the army or cops that man those roadblocks, they often go unpaid for months, it is actually to their credit that they don't take matters into their own hands and start asking for unofficial toll money, West Africa style.

The cities in the centre like Chomoio or in the north like Nampula or Nacala feel like separate, chaotic enclaves, where the local politicians and business lords operate like old 'prazo' families from 2 centuries ago.

It's not surprising it's a major route out for timber and animal products and a route in for drugs and weapons. The sense that money would open any door is palpable and the corruption is of epic proportion.

Yet , I was there in Dec and was planning to go again this Easter , hadn't they decided to close the beaches for another month. The people are wonderful and they deserve better. Some places along the coast are still amazing and relatively unspoilt. Selfishly, I feel I want to enjoy it for another while before the ruling classes, China, the crime cartels and the local overlords completely destroy it.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

This is a rather sad perspective on a country based entirely on it's road system, during Covid.

Maybe I'm just excited to be starting almost exactly their route on Thursday. But maybe it's also because I plan to take two months to complete that route, not 5 days.

The roads south of Maputo are infinitely better than they have ever been.

I'll report back at the end of the trip, and I hope this take is as unnecessarily negative as my instincts tell me it is.
    Check out http://www.youtube.com/c/timhulme for my latest overlanding vlog!

2016 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 4x4

@timhulmephoto
    @timhulmetravel

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Hulme For This Useful Post: