Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Bogotá
    Posts
    242
    Thanked: 155

    Default Re: Global Nomadic Overlanders

    Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    Technically, a vehicle on “SORN” has to be off the road and stored in the UK. I know many UK overlanders do this, but it is not telling the truth as the vehicle is roaming around the world. We looked into all the possibilities. As we were going to be eventually importing the vehicle into Kenya and it was never returning to the UK, we decided that filling in the export forms six months early was morally and legally the best option.

    Getting the second Carnet wasn’t a problem as our vehicle was within its MOT etc period. But the DVLA chased us once the MOT and road tax hadn’t been renewed.
    It is indeed unclear - or more accurately not explicit. The DVLA either hasn't considered the situation, or chooses not to bother with the tiny number of vehicles out of the country for long periods. Interesting note re the situation in Israel.

    Certainly if the idea is to import to another country as some point, it does make sense simply (!) to go ahead with the process.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    UK
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,869
    Thanked: 1334

    Default Re: Global Nomadic Overlanders

    Quote Originally Posted by danielbme View Post
    My fav overlanders that I follow are GrizzlyNbear Overland. They've been travelling the world in their Defender for the last 4yrs. I shared a post of theirs with you already. I highly recommend their youtube videos.
    An incredible adventure. However, there are too many long-term overlanders who seem to rely on others subsidising them, via donations and “sponsorship”, in order for them to live their dream. It is also a well-worn track for long-term overlanders to overstay their welcome with kind people they meet on the road. We are very careful not to do so.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2021/05/02 at 12:58 AM.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    67
    Posts
    5,156
    Thanked: 6228

    Default Re: Global Nomadic Overlanders

    Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    ..... there are too many long-term overlanders who seem to rely on others subsidising them, via donations and “sponsorship”, in order for them to live their dream. It is also a well-worn track for long-term overlanders to overstay their welcome with kind people they meet on the road.......
    Always worthy of a mention and perhaps even worth extending the above application.

    Some overlanders seem to freeload off fellow travelers too much perhaps, but especially irksome to me are the occasions where locals are automatically expected to give of their hospitality, time and frugal possessions. Irresponsible wild camping on private land springs to mind. Behave towards the people of your host country as you would expect visitors to behave towards you at home.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:


  5. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Western Australia
    Age
    74
    Posts
    11
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Global Nomadic Overlanders

    Seven years, over 48 countries in a Iveco Daily 4x4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdO4QmkeCJw

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Oudtshoorn
    Age
    59
    Posts
    13
    Thanked: 3

    Default Re: Global Nomadic Overlanders

    Quote Originally Posted by Bud3 View Post
    WW, in my situation with a RSA registered vehicle, the carnet can be renewed by email with the SA AA, and having the new carnet couriered to a anther country where the vehicle is . I posted the detail on doing this in a different thread. So perhaps the peculiarities of the RSA registration and carnet facilitate this whereas it is more difficult in other countries. The downside to my situation is that I can not bring the vehicle to the USA, not even for a temporary time, as I remain a resident of my home country ( I remain a resident of the US unless I am actually granted residency ins some other country, which is unlikely I would seek,
    Hi Bud3,
    Your comment re SA car and US residency sparked a question for me. I have dual SA/US citizenship, but am resident in SA with a SA vehicle that I'm planning to take into the US/Canada in '24 for up to 12 months. From your perspective, any issue with getting the vehicle into N.America?
    I'm planning to head north from SA in May 2022 - still waiting for Covid to ease and borders to reopen. Plan is to go all the way to Egypt and then ship into Europe assuming Ethiopia opens up (and nobody else shuts down) their borders.
    If you are cruising around SA later this year, please DM me - would be happy to meet up and exchange notes :-).
    Cheers,
    Phil

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Harare & Brisbane
    Age
    61
    Posts
    548
    Thanked: 848

    Default Re: Global Nomadic Overlanders

    Hi Bud and al. I only saw this thread this morning, I see Bud referred to me in your opening post and maybe assumed that Linda and I may fit the description of “Global Nomadic Overlanders” (GNO), we feel slightly honoured to be considered but honestly don’t believe it applies to us. We are Zimbabwean born and pre-covid were Zimbabwean residents, however we are Australian citizens. In June 2019 I retired from my Zimbabwean job, moved out of rented accommodation, sold up pretty much everything we owned in Zimbabwe and moved full-time into our new BushLapa caravan which we intended living in for the next 3+ years. Covid hit after 9 months and we returned to Australia, we will resume our nomadic lifestyles once we feel safe with Covid.

    In addition to our African car and van we do own our own flat /unit/apartment in Australia, we have rented this out to tenants for the last 5 years and our Australian belongings are in storage in Australia so technically speaking we do have a home even though we haven’t lived in it for 5 years. I see WW asked how one is able to deal with all the day to day issues without having a true home base, we have not encountered any hassles in this regard, the internet today allows you to sort out almost everything no matter where you are in the world. Certainly, there are logistics that need to be sorted out, eg new credit cards etc but through our network of adult children, friends etc these issues have been easy enough to sort out.

    The bigger problem is of course CDP. Up until a year ago our sole focus of the 3-year trip was Southern Africa which is why we can’t claim to be GNOs. It was only after being challenged and assisted by Stan, WW and many others that we started looking further afield, ie East Africa. Initially the Carnet did not apply to us but with our new plans this is presenting a challenge, hopefully after much debate on other threads on this forum we have this matter resolved.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

    Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Harare & Brisbane
    Age
    61
    Posts
    548
    Thanked: 848

    Default Re: Global Nomadic Overlanders

    Interestingly on our 9-month journey we met a large number of fellow caravanners that also lived in their caravans full-time. These were a mixture of those that did it for a love of the outdoors and those who did it because of financial reasons. Some still had homes that were rented out, others had sold their homes and had no other option. None of those that we came across who lived fulltime in caravans had setups resembling ours, they all had large vans that were certainly not suited to offroad 4x4 type trips, most had much larger vans than us with TVs etc. We came across some that had been living in their vans for up to 7 years solely in South Africa, they certainly can't be regarded as GNOs.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

    Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    UK
    Age
    63
    Posts
    1,869
    Thanked: 1334

    Default Re: Global Nomadic Overlanders

    Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    ... I see WW asked how one is able to deal with all the day to day issues without having a true home base, we have not encountered any hassles in this regard, the internet today allows you to sort out almost everything no matter where you are in the world. Certainly, there are logistics that need to be sorted out, eg new credit cards etc but through our network of adult children, friends etc these issues have been easy enough to sort out.

    The bigger problem is of course CDP. Up until a year ago our sole focus of the 3-year trip was Southern Africa which is why we canÂ’t claim to be GNOs. It was only after being challenged and assisted by Stan, WW and many others that we started looking further afield, ie East Africa. Initially the Carnet did not apply to us but with our new plans this is presenting a challenge, hopefully after much debate on other threads on this forum we have this matter resolved.
    I was thinking more of people like the Swiss couple who have been travelling the world for 20+ years. They must have to rely on friends or adult children to give them a home address. When one applies, for instance for a visa, one’s home address is needed. The government of one’s home country needs a home address for renewal of passports, driving licences etc, and banks and pension/investments need a home address. And it is a mystery how they deal (or not) with medical and other insurance.

    Which brings me to another question. If the vehicle is not roadworthy (that is, hasn’t had the annual roadworthy tests and licencing in its home country) then presumably it cannot be insured. As we all know, insurance companies love to wriggle out of claims and if the vehicle isn’t technically legal on the roads, then any claim will be thrown out. I presume that applies too for third party insurance.

    One just has to look at how difficult it is being a homeless person on the streets of London, Canberra, New York or Johannesburg to name just a few.
    Last edited by Wazungu Wawili; 2021/05/04 at 11:03 AM.

  10. #29
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Harare & Brisbane
    Age
    61
    Posts
    548
    Thanked: 848

    Default Re: Global Nomadic Overlanders

    Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    I was thinking more of people like the Swiss couple who have been travelling the world for 20+ years. They must have to rely on friends or adult children to give them a home address. When one applies, for instance for a visa, one’s home address is needed. The government of one’s home country needs a home address for renewal of passports, driving licences etc, and banks and pension/investments need a home address. And it is a mystery how they deal (or not) with medical and other insurance.

    Which brings me to another question. If the vehicle is not roadworthy (that is, hasn’t had the annual roadworthy tests and licencing in its home country) then presumably it cannot be insured. As we all know, insurance companies love to wriggle out of claims and if the vehicle isn’t technically legal on the roads, then any claim will be thrown out. I presume that applies too for third party insurance.

    One just has to look at how difficult it is being a homeless person on the streets of London, Canberra, New York or Johannesburg to name just a few.
    Yes, re the address, you are correct. When we were in Zimbabwe for 4 years and touring for the 9 months we used the address of a good, trustworthy, friend in Australia for all our official mail. Chances of getting mail "on the road" were zero and actually receiving mail in Zimbabwe were not that much better than that. Therefore we advised authorities of our domicile but asked them to use our mates address in Australia for a mailing address, all were happy with that arrangement. Between our return trips to see kids in Aussie, our mates trips to Africa and our kids trips to Africa we were assured of regular collections/deliveries. If there was anything urgent our mates scanned and emailed the documents. Sorted out BUPA in Zimbabwe so that too was sorted, has continued on the road, car and van insurance is covered in Southern Africa. Our passports were new (10 years) at the start of our journey and Zimbabwean driver licences are permanently valid, they do not have an expiry date.

    As stated Carnet will pose issues to deal with. I do acknowledge that our situation whilst not unique is simpler than most. I too wonder how others manage.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

    Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    cody
    Age
    62
    Posts
    171
    Thanked: 73

    Default Re: Global Nomadic Overlanders

    Quote Originally Posted by PhilP View Post
    Hi Bud3,
    Your comment re SA car and US residency sparked a question for me. I have dual SA/US citizenship, but am resident in SA with a SA vehicle that I'm planning to take into the US/Canada in '24 for up to 12 months. From your perspective, any issue with getting the vehicle into N.America?
    I'm planning to head north from SA in May 2022 - still waiting for Covid to ease and borders to reopen. Plan is to go all the way to Egypt and then ship into Europe assuming Ethiopia opens up (and nobody else shuts down) their borders.
    If you are cruising around SA later this year, please DM me - would be happy to meet up and exchange notes :-).
    Cheers,
    Phil
    Hello Phil, not been on the forum enough having recently moved out and trying to find a daily rhythm staying at families places, etc. Regarding bring a vehicle into the US for 12 months, it seemed fairly straightforward for a non resident, didn't see mention of whether being a US citizen non resident was a stickling point but that ought to be confirmed before cementing plans.

    We are arriving July 17 to Cape Town and will spend about 3 weeks there and the Western Cape doing some shakeout camping before making our way towards Pietermaritzburg for a meet up with another forum member. If you are in the Cape Town Area/West Cape, or on the route east, would like to meet up. Will get in touch.

    Thank you
    Bud

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •