Default Emergency puncture repairs

Hi

In light of current conditions, viva anc viva, I'm in need to some advise.

With a family of 4, (2 x babies) Im looking at the fastest way of fixing a flat/puncture should it need to be done in a uncomfortable place.

Does that tire weld/foam repair can really work? I drive a 120 Prado.

Practised a tire change this afternoon... Lewis wouldn't he happy to say the least and nor am I.

Any advise is appreciated.
    Pete

2. The Following User Says Thank You to getoutahere For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Emergency puncture repairs

Tire repair kit with plugs and to inflate Iuse a paintball gun co2 cylinder.
    Don't feed the monkeys!

Emergency....learn how to drive a while with a flat

Any repair or change takes time.

The emergency circumstance will lead you on right decision
    '98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post

Good advice I reckon. If you slow right down you should be able to make some distance. Of course that will trash the tire and probably also the rim, so if it feels safe, do change or fix it.

I find that, if you can find the hole fairly easily, then fixing it with a normal plug is probably faster than swopping it out, apart from the inflation part of the operation, but at least for that period you are not fully absorbed and can more easily observe your surroundings.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post

this, also the instructions to swambo. If the area is dodgy slow down but keep on driving, you will destroy the tyre but if you keep the speed down the rim will be fine.

While ago I clipped a kerb in the dark with the Q7, both RH tyres flat with sidewall cuts. with only 1 spare I was forced to drive home but by keeping speed down I drove about 8km with no damage to the rims
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

MOTUL P3 TYRE REPAIR

300ml Canister

R195.00
    P3 Tyre Repair repairs and re-inflates tyres instantly without disassembly or tools. Its latex based formula does not deteriorate either the inner tube or tyre.

VW TDI
    Dries de Kock

This Tyre sealant looks really really good, British armed forces also use it, see video
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RUK7Wtc8N_w

I've been thinking of ordering this but shipping (from Britain) is too expensive for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnaman View Post
    Tire repair kit with plugs and to inflate Iuse a paintball gun co2 cylinder.
    Kindly elaborate on setup and that's also if you catch the leak.
    Last edited by getoutahere; 2021/04/25 at 08:58 PM.

Hi there, yesterday one was able to obtain such a item called "Tyre Protector". there HQ was in Dbn 0314649514/7Might still exist. But "Midas" also similar product.

Quote Originally Posted by NIGELINDA View Post
    Hi there, yesterday one was able to obtain such a item called "Tyre Protector". there HQ was in Dbn 0314649514/7Might still exist. But "Midas" also similar product.
    I came across this website - revtyretech.com - It might be worth exploring..

Quote Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
    I came across this website - revtyretech.com - It might be worth exploring..
    Looks good. Just no reviews or any one with experience is slightly worrying.

I'm really considering it thanks.

That foam in a can are great, but only to get out of a situation, ONLY, but you often need a few of them for a 4x4 tyre and they don't seal very well. BUT it will get you to safety if it is a small hole. Its messy and you need to remove the tyre off the rim afterwards to clean it out properly before a permanent repair can be done.

My wife's and daughters cars have the the cans and puncture kit.

The best quick/semi permanent fix is a worm and air compressor or co2.

On my Rhino I use fug it, in my tubeless tyres. Ok the rhino is only used on the farm, not high speed driving. I have so many acacia thorn trees on the farm, one tyre I plugged it with 7 plugs in one day, so I put fug it in. I have never had a flat in the last year or more, sometimes when you stop you hear the piss sound of a leak, it stops quickly. It has hardly lost any pressure since I added Fug it over a year ago, so very impressed. I just have far too many vehicles to do all of them.

If the acacia thorns give problems when I replace the unimogs tubeless tyres I will do them as well. But my farm cruiser with BFG muds has not had a flat yet!! touch wood. My tractor has tubes so it does not work that well as the thorn breaks off and can't be found to be extracted but continues to damage the tube.

Best is to fit sensors, an early warning system.

My holiday long distance cruiser has pressure sensors, so I just use the worm, same with the adventure bike.

It gives a very early warning, enough time to get to safety or a safe spot.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Mkulu Kei at Wild Wind Ranch
    * 1975/8 SHREK LAND-CRUISER FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 LAND-CRUISER J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 LAND-CRUISER LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.

* 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 ISUZU bakkie 4x4
    * MERCEDES UNIMOG U416.
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser. And a Honda 200
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. And a John Deere E140 2020 tractor