Default Prado roof load bar question

I need advice from persons who have either done this or has experience on this subject.

I have a 2015 Prado to which I wish to fit my home made roof rack (integrity of rack not part of this conversation - it has proven itself over the past 6 years in Nam, Bots , Zam & Zim as well as on Mpumalanga roads (ha-ha.....).

I had a bit of a personal difference with Frontrunner and I cannot justify nor afford spending in excess or Rk12 for a new roofrack set which I will use once or twice a year maybe. Frontrunner will not supply me with footrails only - cause of our difference/dispute, but let us leave that there!!

Now my question: Can I fit two (lockable) roof load bars (i.e. Thule) to the existing Prado roofrails and then secure my roofrack to the load bars - would that be acceptable? I do not load very heavy stuff on the roofrack, usually a bag or two braaiwood, couple of camping chairs, gazebo, and other odds & ends such as tent side panels, groundsheet etc..

I am of the opinion that the roof load bars and existing rails should suffice, but would appreciate your opinions and comments on this issue before I spend Rk2 for the load bars??

If anybody knows of a second hand roofrack or Prado 2015 roof rails (those that fit on the vehicle roof), pleae let me know.

Alternatively if you have any other suggestion/solution for me to consider, will appreciate!!

Thanks!!
    Last edited by ELU; 2021/04/22 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Smileys??

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ELU For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Prado roof load bar question

I think the first issue is that the complete Thule system is going to cost more than 2K. Unless you have the foot pack and only need the bars. The other problem is not the ability of the Thule system to carry your load because it can, my same racks take two fishing skis each weigh 30 kgs, but rather how you fasten your rack to the bars. If it were me Id swallow my pride and buy the Frontrunner roof rack. Thats 35 years of using various roof rack systems of experience.
    You help where you can, when it is needed. You only give advice when it is asked for!

A friend of mine did exactly that on his Pajero Sport - loadbars and connected his roof rack onto them - no issues.

Loadbars should be able to handle the load if it stays below the 75 kg load limit. If you regularly check that the feet are tight on the rails you should have no issues at all.
    Johan Marais

Toyota L/Cruiser Prado 4.0 VX AT 08

Not a Prado, but I've been using a Frontrunner Rack with Frontrunner Grab on feet (not available anymore I believe) since 2014 on my Wildtrak Rails without any problems.

Been through Botswana and Namibia a few times with spare wheel and 2x jerrys, wood etc on the roof.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ced7ebb903f5b450653b64ee3d586865.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	613376

Name:	20140909_184627.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	613377

Name:	20140909_184612.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	613375

https://youtu.be/E9wc4TgllhY

Quote Originally Posted by JohanHilux View Post
    Loadbars should be able to handle the load if it stays below the 75 kg load limit. If you regularly check that the feet are tight on the rails you should have no issues at all.
    80kg actually.

Thank you everybody for your valued replies, appreciated.

To Steady: Thanks for your comment. It is not necessarily a question of pride only (Frontrunner), but also spending that kind of money, I can not justify to myself, never mind to SWAMBO......!?!?

I will now start sourcing the load bars - maybe also look at makes other than Thule (no cheap China makes, though!!!)?

I will also ensure and frequently check all securing points.

Regards.

I am using Holdfast on my Prado (for bicycles), just as good as Thule, the only downside is that they are not lockable.

Quote Originally Posted by ELU View Post
    I will now start sourcing the load bars - maybe also look at makes other than Thule (no cheap China makes, though!!!)?
    If you already have the Frontrunner brackets, any aluminum slat should do the job.

https://4x4direct.co.za/roof-rack-br...ar-1595mm.html

https://4x4direct.co.za/roof-rack-br...per-meter.html

I had a 2010 Prado and also had an older frontrunner roof rack which came from a double cab which i used on my Prado. Frontrunner used to sell a quick lockable fitting system along with a roof rack which I had to really persuade them to just sell the brackets to me. They basically fixed to the undsrside of the roof rack with 4 rubber coated steel strap type lockable brackets to the Prado's exiting roof rails. The roof rack could be removed or fitted in 10 minutes and worked perfectly on numerous trips. Not sure if they still sell it. Roughly cost R1000 about 5 years back.

Hi there ELU

I have a Prado 120 and had fitted a Menabo set of load bars that are lockable a few years back. Onto these I have fixed a Thule Oyster-type roof bullet-box into which I pack my tenting and sleeping gear. Works well once you figure out how to access it easily.

I have just bought another set of these Menabo load bars for R 2 200 (compared to Thule's some R 7 000) with the intention of placing a roof top Bushtech tent which weighs 73 Kgs onto it. (getting a bit old to grovel around and pitch tents on the ground as we have been doing for the past 40 years). My research on what weight the Prado can accommodate is that it should not be more than 90 Kgs and then, because of the change in the centre of gravity, one should not drive faster than 130 kms an hour - which in any event is too fast. I would stick to a speed of about 115 kms per hour.

In your case it will be a question of how you secure your existing roof rack to the load bars and then also whether you should have only one set of two or two sets. But by the sounds of it your weight is not material in any event.
    Prado VX 2004