Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,223
    Thanked: 7290

    Default Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    No stock of:

    70 series
    Hilux
    200
    Prado
    Etios


    Some dealers have "bought up stock" and are quoting R50k to R100k more for some models

    Is this not against the fair trade/commerce rules?
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Age
    38
    Posts
    846
    Thanked: 817

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    What is the price supposed to be? Do we have a baseline to compare the "inflated" price to?

    I guess the price you see on Toyota.co.za is the price you pay? Or do the dealers quote higher prices?

    It would be interesting to know what the prices are before and after it changes "hands" before it gets to a showroom floor. All the way from factory.
    Last edited by IcePick88; 2021/02/16 at 12:32 PM.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,223
    Thanked: 7290

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    What is the price supposed to be? Do we have a baseline to compare the "inflated" price to?

    I guess the price you see on Toyota.co.za is the price you pay? Or do the dealers quote higher prices?

    It would be interesting to know what the prices are before and after it changes "hands" before it gets to a showroom floor. All the way from factory.

    I compare prices quoted to the prices posted on their website
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,140
    Thanked: 24487

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    I dont know if the commercials stack up. Limiting supply would reduce sales in units but also the after sales revenue streams where I imagine the bulk of the profit sits (albeit over an extended period). However, its not improbable considering the other vehicles in the range particularly the mass volume movers which is where the bulk of their revenue sits.

    I do think its a bit rude charging the prices they do anyway for what is a tinny 1980-1990s design with corresponding vintage materials
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

    Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

    ''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

    Hummer H3 V8

    W.A.P Objectivist

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Plett/Paulshof
    Age
    54
    Posts
    3,455
    Thanked: 1471

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    There is a stock shortage of new cars across the board in SA. Nissan haven't received new cars since sometime last year.

    It would be unethical and i'm pretty sure against the law to inflate prices of new cars dealers are sitting with.
    Bruce Hunter. 2021 Defender D240HSE,2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Somewhere
    Age
    45
    Posts
    549
    Thanked: 785

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    You don't think the global chip shortage has anything to do with it? I'm sitting at home this week because the Audi factory in Brussels is at a complete standstill. I work for another factory that supplies other parts. In fact, finding work anywhere in the auto industry the last year or so has not been easy.


    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/11/how-...utomakers.html

    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/08/carm...eres-why-.html
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2021/02/16 at 12:51 PM.
    A sure sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

  8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,582
    Thanked: 1306

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    Personally I never saw Toy dealers quote more than their own recommended retail price on a vehicle due to stock shortages, usually they give some form of discount whether they have stock or not, as in we can give you the vehicle for x as soon as we find stock of it somewhere. This will of course be different if there is no stock in the country and due to exchange rates I doubt they'll give you pricing then.

    Third party dealerships is a total different story, just the other day again I saw a third party dealership who were very well stocked with new Toyota's, some of them they had below retail, but models like the Cruiser 200 was slightly above retail.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,223
    Thanked: 7290

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Personally I never saw Toy dealers quote more than their own recommended retail price on a vehicle due to stock shortages, usually they give some form of discount whether they have stock or not, as in we can give you the vehicle for x as soon as we find stock of it somewhere. This will of course be different if there is no stock in the country and due to exchange rates I doubt they'll give you pricing then.

    Third party dealerships is a total different story, just the other day again I saw a third party dealership who were very well stocked with new Toyota's, some of them they had below retail, but models like the Cruiser 200 was slightly above retail.
    The dealer in Rustenburg has a Toyota sign and is called Rustenburg Toyota.. How do I know if it is a third party dealer, actually what is a third party dealer
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

  11. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,377
    Thanked: 1801

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    No stock of:

    70 series
    Hilux
    200
    Prado
    Etios


    Some dealers have "bought up stock" and are quoting R50k to R100k more for some models

    Is this not against the fair trade/commerce rules?

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHkRbeTazs0

    This should answer the question.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:


  13. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    41
    Posts
    6,873
    Thanked: 559

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    Wow.. Just wow....
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco



  14. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,223
    Thanked: 7290

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    I see what the guys do is:

    They buy the stock available, then put it on their second hand floor as "ex stock" and inflate the price.

    Is this legal?


    Is that third party dealing?
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2021/02/16 at 01:18 PM.
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

  15. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,223
    Thanked: 7290

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    You don't think the global chip shortage has anything to do with it? I'm sitting at home this week because the Audi factory in Brussels is at a complete standstill. I work for another factory that supplies other parts. In fact, finding work anywhere in the auto industry the last year or so has not been easy.


    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/11/how-...utomakers.html

    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/08/carm...eres-why-.html

    What if, the dealers bought the stock and sit on it?
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

  16. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Umhlanga
    Age
    65
    Posts
    15
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    Second hand speculating is big business. Have a look at Fouché's for instance.

  17. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Robertson/ Larissa, Greece
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,109
    Thanked: 4960

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    Well I can tell you as having been in the game myself at one stage, with Toyota, stock shortages is no fun! There is no way you can make up for lost sales by charging higher prices.

    Third party sellers as referred to above are non Toyota dealers buying up stock and selling at higher prices than list due to shortages. This is an age old trick used by many of the higher end non franchised dealers. A Toyota dealer selling at higher than list I don't think you will find.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

  18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:


  19. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,223
    Thanked: 7290

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Well I can tell you as having been in the game myself at one stage, with Toyota, stock shortages is no fun! There is no way you can make up for lost sales by charging higher prices.

    Third party sellers as referred to above are non Toyota dealers buying up stock and selling at higher prices than list due to shortages. This is an age old trick used by many of the higher end non franchised dealers. A Toyota dealer selling at higher than list I don't think you will find.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I see what the guys do is:

    They buy the stock available, then put it on their second hand floor as "ex stock" and inflate the price.

    Is this legal?


    Is that third party dealing?

    Are they allowed to do this above Francois?
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

  20. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Robertson/ Larissa, Greece
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,109
    Thanked: 4960

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Are they allowed to do this above Francois?
    Hedge, I've been out of the game for quite some time.

    I cannot see them putting "second hand" stock on the floor for more than new, that is a franchised dealer. Non franchised different story.

    Whether they are allowed to, I'm not sure but doubt it. But makes no sense. Again for a franchised dealer.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:


  22. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,223
    Thanked: 7290

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Hedge, I've been out of the game for quite some time.

    I cannot see them putting "second hand" stock on the floor for more than new, that is a franchised dealer. Non franchised different story.

    Whether they are allowed to, I'm not sure but doubt it. But makes no sense. Again for a franchised dealer.
    Franchised dealer it is..

    I dont think this is right, and it seems there are quite a few dealers doing this.
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

  23. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Robertson/ Larissa, Greece
    Age
    57
    Posts
    6,109
    Thanked: 4960

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Franchised dealer it is..

    I dont think this is right, and it seems there are quite a few dealers doing this.
    If it happens, something is seriously wrong!

    Are you looking for something specific? Maybe I can put out some feelers.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:


  25. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brackenfell
    Age
    32
    Posts
    110
    Thanked: 171

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    I guess it all comes down to how stupid the customer is, if they are willing to pay the inflated price, then dealers will continue doing this.

    New car prices and even 2nd hand are continuing to increase way above inflation, and it will continue on this trend until people stop buying.

    Financing trickery is what is enabling this. People buy into the fact that they can afford a R5000 car payment, but they cannot really afford a R400k or whatever car without this trickery.

    Yes the retail sticker of the car on the floor, might be more than the RRP on the website, but the guy buying his etios, is still buying it on the premis of pay XX amount monthly.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to franshorn For This Useful Post:


  27. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,223
    Thanked: 7290

    Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

    Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    If it happens, something is seriously wrong!

    .

    I shall investigate
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2021/02/16 at 02:09 PM.
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    With a mild case of "Camping Personality Disorder" or CPD

    I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •