Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

No stock of:

70 series
    Hilux
    Prado
    Etios

Some dealers have "bought up stock" and are quoting R50k to R100k more for some models

Is this not against the fair trade/commerce rules?

I drive a fire engine red Cruiser and tow an army inspired van.

Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

What is the price supposed to be? Do we have a baseline to compare the "inflated" price to?

I guess the price you see on Toyota.co.za is the price you pay? Or do the dealers quote higher prices?

It would be interesting to know what the prices are before and after it changes "hands" before it gets to a showroom floor. All the way from factory.
    Last edited by IcePick88; 2021/02/16 at 12:32 PM.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

Default Re: Is Toyota consciously limiting stock to inflate demand and thus prices?

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    What is the price supposed to be? Do we have a baseline to compare the "inflated" price to?

I guess the price you see on Toyota.co.za is the price you pay? Or do the dealers quote higher prices?

It would be interesting to know what the prices are before and after it changes "hands" before it gets to a showroom floor. All the way from factory.

I compare prices quoted to the prices posted on their website

I dont know if the commercials stack up. Limiting supply would reduce sales in units but also the after sales revenue streams where I imagine the bulk of the profit sits (albeit over an extended period). However, its not improbable considering the other vehicles in the range particularly the mass volume movers which is where the bulk of their revenue sits.

I do think its a bit rude charging the prices they do anyway for what is a tinny 1980-1990s design with corresponding vintage materials
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

There is a stock shortage of new cars across the board in SA. Nissan haven't received new cars since sometime last year.

It would be unethical and i'm pretty sure against the law to inflate prices of new cars dealers are sitting with.
    Bruce Hunter. 2021 Defender D240HSE,2019 FJ Cruiser, Audi Q5S Tdi, 2019 VW Tiguan 4motion 2.0tsi(work vehicle), Bush Lapa Kewer 2202, Fusion 17 boat-Yamaha FT100hp 4st.

You don't think the global chip shortage has anything to do with it? I'm sitting at home this week because the Audi factory in Brussels is at a complete standstill. I work for another factory that supplies other parts. In fact, finding work anywhere in the auto industry the last year or so has not been easy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/11/how-...utomakers.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/08/carm...eres-why-.html
    Last edited by Naes-Landy; 2021/02/16 at 12:51 PM.
    A sure sign of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has bothered contacting us.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naes-Landy For This Useful Post:

Personally I never saw Toy dealers quote more than their own recommended retail price on a vehicle due to stock shortages, usually they give some form of discount whether they have stock or not, as in we can give you the vehicle for x as soon as we find stock of it somewhere. This will of course be different if there is no stock in the country and due to exchange rates I doubt they'll give you pricing then.

Third party dealerships is a total different story, just the other day again I saw a third party dealership who were very well stocked with new Toyota's, some of them they had below retail, but models like the Cruiser 200 was slightly above retail.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    Personally I never saw Toy dealers quote more than their own recommended retail price on a vehicle due to stock shortages, usually they give some form of discount whether they have stock or not, as in we can give you the vehicle for x as soon as we find stock of it somewhere. This will of course be different if there is no stock in the country and due to exchange rates I doubt they'll give you pricing then.

Third party dealerships is a total different story, just the other day again I saw a third party dealership who were very well stocked with new Toyota's, some of them they had below retail, but models like the Cruiser 200 was slightly above retail.
    The dealer in Rustenburg has a Toyota sign and is called Rustenburg Toyota.. How do I know if it is a third party dealer, actually what is a third party dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    No stock of:

70 series
    Hilux
    Prado
    Etios

Some dealers have "bought up stock" and are quoting R50k to R100k more for some models

Is this not against the fair trade/commerce rules?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHkRbeTazs0

This should answer the question.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Wow.. Just wow....
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco

I see what the guys do is:

They buy the stock available, then put it on their second hand floor as "ex stock" and inflate the price.

Is this legal?

Is that third party dealing?
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2021/02/16 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naes-Landy View Post
    You don't think the global chip shortage has anything to do with it? I'm sitting at home this week because the Audi factory in Brussels is at a complete standstill. I work for another factory that supplies other parts. In fact, finding work anywhere in the auto industry the last year or so has not been easy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/11/how-...utomakers.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/08/carm...eres-why-.html

What if, the dealers bought the stock and sit on it?

Second hand speculating is big business. Have a look at Fouché's for instance.

Well I can tell you as having been in the game myself at one stage, with Toyota, stock shortages is no fun! There is no way you can make up for lost sales by charging higher prices.

Third party sellers as referred to above are non Toyota dealers buying up stock and selling at higher prices than list due to shortages. This is an age old trick used by many of the higher end non franchised dealers. A Toyota dealer selling at higher than list I don't think you will find.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Well I can tell you as having been in the game myself at one stage, with Toyota, stock shortages is no fun! There is no way you can make up for lost sales by charging higher prices.

Third party sellers as referred to above are non Toyota dealers buying up stock and selling at higher prices than list due to shortages. This is an age old trick used by many of the higher end non franchised dealers. A Toyota dealer selling at higher than list I don't think you will find.
    I see what the guys do is:

They buy the stock available, then put it on their second hand floor as "ex stock" and inflate the price.

Is this legal?

Is that third party dealing?

Are they allowed to do this above Francois?

Are they allowed to do this above Francois?
    Hedge, I've been out of the game for quite some time.

I cannot see them putting "second hand" stock on the floor for more than new, that is a franchised dealer. Non franchised different story.

Whether they are allowed to, I'm not sure but doubt it. But makes no sense. Again for a franchised dealer.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Hedge, I've been out of the game for quite some time.

I cannot see them putting "second hand" stock on the floor for more than new, that is a franchised dealer. Non franchised different story.

Whether they are allowed to, I'm not sure but doubt it. But makes no sense. Again for a franchised dealer.
    Franchised dealer it is..

I dont think this is right, and it seems there are quite a few dealers doing this.

Franchised dealer it is..

I dont think this is right, and it seems there are quite a few dealers doing this.
    If it happens, something is seriously wrong!

Are you looking for something specific? Maybe I can put out some feelers.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

I guess it all comes down to how stupid the customer is, if they are willing to pay the inflated price, then dealers will continue doing this.

New car prices and even 2nd hand are continuing to increase way above inflation, and it will continue on this trend until people stop buying.

Financing trickery is what is enabling this. People buy into the fact that they can afford a R5000 car payment, but they cannot really afford a R400k or whatever car without this trickery.

Yes the retail sticker of the car on the floor, might be more than the RRP on the website, but the guy buying his etios, is still buying it on the premis of pay XX amount monthly.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to franshorn For This Useful Post:

If it happens, something is seriously wrong!

I shall investigate
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2021/02/16 at 02:09 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast