Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Costs of owning a Toyota Landcruiser 105 4.5EFI

I own a 1998 100 4.5Efi with 460 000kms on the clock.

The most I ever paid for any repairs were R42 000 and this included some preventative maintenance like the radiator etc.

My average service is R5000 -R7000 at a well known Land Cruiser expert in Cape Town. You have been seriously unlucky with your costs.

I also normally follow the experts advice on repairing/replacing items.

I have little doubt that you were taken for a ride with most of those repairs and many could probably have been done at a fraction of the cost just by spending some time diving into the web or visiting this forum (I understand that is not everyone's cup of tea).

It sounds like you had a similar experience to ASWP when he bought a cruiser sight unseen. That car was absolutely wrecked despite looking okay on the face of it.

I do not think in any way your experience is a general reflection of buying an older 2nd hand 4x4. It is a distinct outlier.

BUT, you now have a nearly new 105 4.5 EFI, so load it up, get it fueled up, and drive it like you stole it .

Thanks for sharing

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

I have always approached the maintenance with the mindset that I wanted a mechanically perfect vehicle, so it may be closer to restoration than standard services. For my first service, I felt cheated. The second service seemed more reasonable in comparison to the first. The third has been a real shock to me and I was surprised this many parts were recommended changing; however, in the spirit of preventative maintenance/ restoration, I was happy to trust the guidance of well-regarded members of this community who recommended it.

Posting the details of each service below with the names of providers ommitted, as I am not looking to name and shame anyone and I genuinly hope/ believe they have not taken me for a ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st service.png 
Views:	402 
Size:	81.4 KB 
ID:	613292   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2nd service.png 
Views:	363 
Size:	42.4 KB 
ID:	613293   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3rd service.png 
Views:	355 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	613294  

Would you post some pictures of your Cruiser please? I would really like to see it. I think it must be a beauty.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Michael9980 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Crosenvold View Post
    I have always approached the maintenance with the mindset that I wanted a mechanically perfect vehicle, so it may be closer to restoration than standard services. For my first service, I felt cheated. The second service seemed more reasonable in comparison to the first. The third has been a real shock to me and I was surprised this many parts were recommended changing; however, in the spirit of preventative maintenance/ restoration, I was happy to trust the guidance of well-regarded members of this community who recommended it.

Posting the details of each service below with the names of providers ommitted, as I am not looking to name and shame anyone and I genuinly hope/ believe they have not taken me for a ride.
    You were taken for a ###### ride. One example. At every service they rebuilt the knuckles. Why o why? Knuckles need work at 100k->150k km intervals

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kenskind For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    I have little doubt that you were taken for a ride with most of those repairs and many could probably have been done at a fraction of the cost just by spending some time diving into the web or visiting this forum (I understand that is not everyone's cup of tea).

It sounds like you had a similar experience to ASWP when he bought a cruiser sight unseen. That car was absolutely wrecked despite looking okay on the face of it.

I do not think in any way your experience is a general reflection of buying an older 2nd hand 4x4. It is a distinct outlier.

BUT, you now have a nearly new 105 4.5 EFI, so load it up, get it fueled up, and drive it like you stole it .

Thanks for sharing
    Haha what a wonderfully positive perspective. Thank you!
    The approach taken is very similar to ASWP.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Crosenvold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Michael9980 View Post
    Would you post some pictures of your Cruiser please? I would really like to see it. I think it must be a beauty.
    It's certainly not an instagram rig but I love the experiences it has taken me on.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5069.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	564.2 KB 
ID:	613384   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190322_125020.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	705.1 KB 
ID:	613385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inked0E2EE389-6113-4A4D-9975-789A1E164028_LI_Moment.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	794.5 KB 
ID:	613386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	InkedIMG_1939_LI_Moment.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	339.4 KB 
ID:	613387  

12. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Crosenvold For This Useful Post:

It's certainly not an instagram rig but I love the experiences it has taken me on.
    I love your drawer system!!!! Where did you get it?
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Quote Originally Posted by kenskind View Post
    You were taken for a ###### ride. One example. At every service they rebuilt the knuckles. Why o why? Knuckles need work at 100k->150k km intervals
    Could it be that each mechanic has not trusted the work of the previous? I did take it to three different mechanics, all of whom would be common go-to names on this forum. My hope is that the coming bills with this last mechanic will be a (small) fraction of the previous ones. I will certainly be pushing for that seeing the reactions on this post.

I'm not saying their work is the right way to maintain the vehicle but just questioning whether this was done out of dishonesty (cheating a young, foreign guy, willing to pay) or pride in their workmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    I love your drawer system!!!! Where did you get it?
    Thank you! It was put in by the original owner, so I'm not sure who built it.
    Not pictured is the section where the rear seats would ordinarily go, which adds two additional rows of drawers (side- and top-loading).

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Crosenvold For This Useful Post:

Nys

Yoh! I think I am going to give my Fortuner a big hug today.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Nope. Nope. Nope.
    I've never owned a cruiser and I've never fully rebuilt a vehicle. Closest I got was on a previous vehicle (4a-ge 20 valve corolla), I stripped the complete motor and gearbox. Rebuilt those parts from the ground up with all original Toyota spares as well as CV's and driveshafts for less than half of your axles. Just by reading your first post I saw alarm bells.
    Let go of the positive thinking and start asking the hard questions.
    Did you not as some stage realise that you're spending way way way more than what the vehicle was actually worth. You could probably do a proper rebuild for that cash. Stripping every part off the chassis and starting over.
    Last edited by Nabs; 2021/04/23 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks for honestly posting about you experience and cost, and I do believe it will be very helpful in guiding others who are considering buying a comparable vehicle.

Unfortunately, just scanning through those invoices of the work done, it does make some bells go off.

Plugs replaced twice in the 17k km travelled?
    Brake fluid replaced twice in 17k.
    Knuckles done twice in 17k.

Are just some of the items that immediately have me questioning the required work quoted on. Maybe the first mechanic did a crappy job, which required the rework, but some of the work does seem a bit excessive.

Its a beauty

In the end all that really counts is the experience.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Buying a secondhand high mileage cruiser is not that straight forward. Many guys just drive it and dont do properly maintenance, and sell it as soon as the trouble starts. These vehicles can do high mileage with very little maintenance, but it will hit you some time if you neglect the maintenance. Personally I will not rushing buying a high mileage cruiser. Not to say you can get a good looked after cruiser.
    But what is the alternative? Newer cruiser at much higher cost then buying and the repair costs?
    Johan Kriel

25. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Well now my 20yr old Jeep seems cheap to maintain, something which I didn't consider a possibility until now!

Massegat! Not even ASPW`s rig that he build in South Africa during 2019 costed that much! and he replaced almost everything, including a motor overhaul. His total including the cost of the car was R410K.

Who`s got that amount of money laying around for unexpected repairs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxNYDHRUTMU

Im sure you have a solid vehicle now thought.

Hi CV.
    I grew up with Cruisers and still drive them.
    They are expensive to ride and maintain.
    You have however been taken for a ride and a good shafting.
    If a Cruiser are more expensive to maintain than say a ML, GL or X, than there is absolutely no reason in buying a Cruiser.
    So please, in the next couple of years if a meccie want to touch your diffs/ plugs/ radiator fluid/brake fluid, please tell them to take his tools to another unsuspecting cow to milk.....

Your car is good now.
    Please for the foreseeable future only change oils.
    If unsure, get somebody on this forum wo would advise you and your meccie on what to do.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Mapog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Swartjan View Post
    Just to add, I have a 26 year old 80 series 4.5 efi auto. In January both diffs were redone with all new seals and bearings including new knuckles, total cost was R14500.

While there they quoted R10k to overhaul the transfer case(AWD).

All the suspension bushes - R6k

It ads up but still cheaper than 10k a month for a new vehicle.
    R6k for all suspension bushes sounds cheap. Were those 'all' the bushes? Did you replace with Toyota or aftermarket?

Just wondering, as I expect the bushes alone to be more than that, then add labour.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast