Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 0

    Default Prado 120 VX gearbox oil temp gauge - towing

    Iíve recently come across an Aussie site which suggests adding a gearbox oil temp gauge to the Prado for the towing application. This makes a lot of sense to me. I have burned out a Land Rover gearbox, a costly mistake. I have also done a lot of towing over various types of terrain and I am a pilot and used to tracking temps and pressures.

    A warning light when it has overheated is a good thing, but a little early warning might be more useful. Apparently the sensor is already in place, it is a matter of joining a read out gauge to the probe and one may keep track on some long slow hills etc.

    Anyone got ideas on this?
    regards,
    Alex

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    60
    Posts
    10,401
    Thanked: 4173

    Default Re: Prado 120 VX gearbox oil temp gauge - towing

    I am sure you will be able to read gearbox temperature via the OBD port. Might be worthwhile to investigate the abilities of OBD Bluetooth with display screen.


    https://obd2scanners.org/guides/obd2/gauge-displays/

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Prado 120 VX gearbox oil temp gauge - towing

    Thank you grips

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ballito
    Age
    59
    Posts
    293
    Thanked: 40

    Default Re: Prado 120 VX gearbox oil temp gauge - towing

    Will all obd2 scanners work on a Toyota from say 2006 upwards, or is there a specific com protocol they need to be compatible with. Iím keen to buy an Ultragauge unit or similar for my Hilux V6.
    http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Hillcrest
    Age
    47
    Posts
    830
    Thanked: 24

    Default Re: Prado 120 VX gearbox oil temp gauge - towing

    Quote Originally Posted by Mogul View Post
    Iíve recently come across an Aussie site which suggests adding a gearbox oil temp gauge to the Prado for the towing application. This makes a lot of sense to me. I have burned out a Land Rover gearbox, a costly mistake. I have also done a lot of towing over various types of terrain and I am a pilot and used to tracking temps and pressures.

    A warning light when it has overheated is a good thing, but a little early warning might be more useful. Apparently the sensor is already in place, it is a matter of joining a read out gauge to the probe and one may keep track on some long slow hills etc.

    Anyone got ideas on this?
    regards,
    Alex
    Definitely a good idea. In normal driving, I can get the ATF temp to above 100 Deg c on my v6

    The A750f gearbox has 2 sensors, 1 measuring torque converter temp and the other the Pan temp. I use an OBD dongle, Torque Pro and an old smart - ish phone to monitor temp. The idiot light only comes on @ 150 degc, by which time the fluid is cooked.

    The issue with Torque pro is you need to insert some custom PID's in Torque pro for the temp sensors to work. I found them on a Australian Hilux site.

    Now when towing, I monitor my coolant and ATF temps with the old smart phone linked to the OBD.
    Paul.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pradotoria
    Age
    44
    Posts
    686
    Thanked: 49

    Default Re: Prado 120 VX gearbox oil temp gauge - towing

    Quote Originally Posted by Mogul View Post
    Iíve recently come across an Aussie site which suggests adding a gearbox oil temp gauge to the Prado for the towing application. This makes a lot of sense to me. I have burned out a Land Rover gearbox, a costly mistake. I have also done a lot of towing over various types of terrain and I am a pilot and used to tracking temps and pressures.

    A warning light when it has overheated is a good thing, but a little early warning might be more useful. Apparently the sensor is already in place, it is a matter of joining a read out gauge to the probe and one may keep track on some long slow hills etc.

    Anyone got ideas on this?
    regards,
    Alex

    I would suggest fitting a heavy duty transmission cooler kit to your 120. I tow and found that having a HD oil cooler prevents the gearbox from heating up too much especially on steep inclines. Ive got the Davies Craig cooler installed.

    4x4s

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Prado 120 VX gearbox oil temp gauge - towing

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr MMG View Post
    I would suggest fitting a heavy duty transmission cooler kit to your 120. I tow and found that having a HD oil cooler prevents the gearbox from heating up too much especially on steep inclines. Ive got the Davies Craig cooler installed.
    thank you Mr MMG

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    9
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Prado 120 VX gearbox oil temp gauge - towing

    Quote Originally Posted by Rookie View Post
    Definitely a good idea. In normal driving, I can get the ATF temp to above 100 Deg c on my v6

    The A750f gearbox has 2 sensors, 1 measuring torque converter temp and the other the Pan temp. I use an OBD dongle, Torque Pro and an old smart - ish phone to monitor temp. The idiot light only comes on @ 150 degc, by which time the fluid is cooked.

    The issue with Torque pro is you need to insert some custom PID's in Torque pro for the temp sensors to work. I found them on a Australian Hilux site.

    Now when towing, I monitor my coolant and ATF temps with the old smart phone linked to the OBD.
    thanks Paul 🙏🏻

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •