Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Costs of owning a Toyota Landcruiser 105 4.5EFI

Long before going on my first 4x4 trip, I had been coming to this forum to read about the experiences of others’ vehicle ownership and 4x4 adventures. As I became increasingly enchanted by the idea of hopping in one’s own truck and exploring the wilderness, I began to wonder what the total cost of all of this is. I unfortunately never found an answer and want to use this post to hopefully give some idea to others who may be wondering.
    A few notes up front:

• I am not mechanically inclined in any way, and have thus not done any work myself
    • I have prioritised keeping the car in great-to-perfect mechanical condition and therefore always taken it to highly recommended mechanics and performed any work they recommended
    • This is sharing bare-bones-and-all; I’m sure I’ve made many mistakes in my ownership, alas that is the cost of being a novice

The Vehicle

1999 Landcruiser 105 4.5 EFI that had one previous owner who had used it as a dedicated overlander and fitted it out very well with a rooftop tent, OME 2.5” lift suspension, bulbar, wheel-carrier, additional fuel tank, water tank, full drawer system in the rear incl. 60L brand new fridge & freezer + two-top gas cooker. Whilst heavily used, it had been maintained almost exclusively by a very well-regarded Cape Town mechanic and was in good working condition.
    I bought the above w. ~392k km on the clock for R190k and drove it home to Johannesburg.

Maintenance Work

1st Service after ~5k driven by me
    For its first service under my ownership, I took it to a well-known mechanic in Johannesburg. They performed a standard service and changed the bushes. This service cost R28,576. I was quite surprised by this cost as no major work was carried out.

2nd Service after ~10k driven by me (5k incremental)

I felt that I had overpaid at the previous service, so I decided to take the truck for work at the mechanic in Cape Town who had always serviced it. It cost me R6,479 to transport the truck on a flat bed. This service included some major work broken down into:

• Standard service (incl. replaced bushes): R15,512
    • Replacement of ABS pump: R21,800
    • Replacement of rear shocks: R5,230
    • Some welding work on the body: R7,500
    • Total: R50,042 (+R6,479 for transport)

3rd Service after ~17k driven by me (7k incremental)

This was a major service with some big repairs and replacements broken down into:

• Standard service (incl. a long list of minor parts): R14,590
    • New exhaust: R7,874
    • Propshaft: R10,560
    • Knuckles: R9,564
    • Diff: R33,117
    • Axles: R55,145
    • Bodywork (neighbour had dented it…): R21,919
    • Replacing rear airbags with springs: R8,341
    • Total: R161,110 (+R5,369 for transport)

Fuel

According to my fuel log, I have driven the vehicle 17k km and spent R46,382 on fuel, which averages out to 5.6 Km/L and R2.7 per Km driven.

TLDR, Overview

The odometer is on ~410k km, of which I have driven ~17k, and I have loved every minute of owning this machine and all the adventures it has brought me and my girlfriend. Spend to date has been:

• Purchase: R190k
    • Maintenance: R240k
    • Transport to maintenance: R12k
    • Fuel: R46k
    • Total: R488k
    Last edited by Crosenvold; 2021/04/22 at 12:41 AM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Crosenvold For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Costs of owning a Toyota Landcruiser 105 4.5EFI

All I can say is ouch!!

I wonder if other owners had similar bills around the same mileage or is this specific car just a tad dear on maintenance?
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

4. The Following User Says Thank You to thabogrobler For This Useful Post:

Having owned 7 Cruisers, two of which were 4.5 EFIs Id say you bought an absolute lemon and much abused vehicle.

Ok given I have never owned any vehicle with such high mileage I still am astounded by your expenditures, unless you were seriously ripped off trying to make a +20 year old car brand new again.

A 1999 105 Cruiser with that kilos is most likely worth no more that R140k.
    Dirk Theron - Life's a journey, enjoy the ride!
    18 Land Cruiser FJ - build to play
    19 Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4 - my best overland build ever
    2013 LC 200 4.6 Petrol V8 - Ex. The best car I have owned, apart from its thirst
    2014 LC 79 V8 - Ex
    2001 LC 105 4.5 EFI - Ex
    2013 FJ Cruiser - Ex
    1996 LC 80 UK spec VX 4.5 EFI auto - Ex
    2001 Jeep TJ 4L - Ex
    2006 Jeep Cherokee - Ex
    1989 LC Bundera 1KZ-TE 3L auto - Ex
    1996 Nissan Sani DC 4x4 - Ex

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DCTheron For This Useful Post:

I am slowly working through my 105, it is not a cheap exercise, but in some instances some of these maintenance items have not been addressed in 20 years.

Where possible, using all Toyota parts, but luckily I can swing a spanner with reasonable confidence.

The motor runs like a train though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mambo For This Useful Post:

I have a suspicion, you were taken for a ride on most of those services..

2021 FJ Cruiser

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Agreed!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mambo For This Useful Post:

Firs and foremost, I think you need to change the title to "Costs of owning a 22 year old Toyota Landcruiser 105 4.5EFI".

The listed work done are not items standard on any service. More "repairs" than "service".

But what is good about your post is to indicate the true costs of owning a 22 year old large 4x4 that is somewhat of a lemon (or that has been used extensively).

If you don't mind, I would like to copy your post and repost it every time someone with a >R200k budget wants a 4x4 as a daily driver.

In conclusion, to echo the sentiments raised above, I think those workshops spotted you from a mile away...

Good luck.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    I am with Andrew.

They replaces bushes in the first two services. Why twice in such a short period?

Then you were charged R33 000.00 for a diff and R55 000.00 for axles. Why ? Then R9k for knuckles. Total R97000.00 You could have bought two new diffs
    Prop shaft? R10k

105 Cruisers normally go well over 500k km before you need any major repairs.
    Suspension bushes at 300k km is understandable but I think you were ripped off seriously.

4.5 EFI engines are rated under the most reliable engines ever build. Service should be oil, filters and spark plugs nothing else.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

I suspect these workshops handled this cruiser like the Toyota workshop handles my company bakkie with it's fleet maintenance card:

" Sir the front inner CV boot is leaking, we must therefore replace the whole driveshaft and both CV's. Also the rear suspension bushes look a bit worn, we must replace both leaf springs"

The moment you query it they backtrack.
    VW Touran 2.0tdi - For the wife.
    80 Series cruiser - To use the fuel I save on the other two.
    Hilux - Work mobile

Heimrich Swart

Brilliant products are ruined by incompetent suppliers.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Swartjan For This Useful Post:

I dare say you bought a lemon and your mechanic just paid off his holiday house and put down the first installment on a ski boat.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Crosenvold View Post
    Long before going on my first 4x4 trip, I had been coming to this forum to read about the experiences of others vehicle ownership and 4x4 adventures. As I became increasingly enchanted by the idea of hopping in ones own truck and exploring the wilderness, I began to wonder what the total cost of all of this is. I unfortunately never found an answer and want to use this post to hopefully give some idea to others who may be wondering.
    A few notes up front:

• I am not mechanically inclined in any way, and have thus not done any work myself
    • I have prioritised keeping the car in great-to-perfect mechanical condition and therefore always taken it to highly recommended mechanics and performed any work they recommended
    • This is sharing bare-bones-and-all; Im sure Ive made many mistakes in my ownership, alas that is the cost of being a novice

The Vehicle

1999 Landcruiser 105 4.5 EFI that had one previous owner who had used it as a dedicated overlander and fitted it out very well with a rooftop tent, OME 2.5 lift suspension, bulbar, wheel-carrier, additional fuel tank, water tank, full drawer system in the rear incl. 60L brand new fridge & freezer + two-top gas cooker. Whilst heavily used, it had been maintained almost exclusively by a very well-regarded Cape Town mechanic and was in good working condition.
    I bought the above w. ~392k km on the clock for R190k and drove it home to Johannesburg.

Maintenance Work

1st Service after ~5k driven by me
    For its first service under my ownership, I took it to a well-known mechanic in Johannesburg. They performed a standard service and changed the bushes. This service cost R28,576. I was quite surprised by this cost as no major work was carried out.

2nd Service after ~10k driven by me (5k incremental)

I felt that I had overpaid at the previous service, so I decided to take the truck for work at the mechanic in Cape Town who had always serviced it. It cost me R6,479 to transport the truck on a flat bed. This service included some major work broken down into:

• Standard service (incl. replaced bushes): R15,512
    • Replacement of ABS pump: R21,800
    • Replacement of rear shocks: R5,230
    • Some welding work on the body: R7,500
    • Total: R50,042 (+R6,479 for transport)

3rd Service after ~17k driven by me (7k incremental)

This was a major service with some big repairs and replacements broken down into:

• Standard service (incl. a long list of minor parts): R14,590
    • New exhaust: R7,874
    • Propshaft: R10,560
    • Knuckles: R9,564
    • Diff: R33,117
    • Axles: R55,145
    • Bodywork (neighbour had dented it): R21,919
    • Replacing rear airbags with springs: R8,341
    • Total: R161,110 (+R5,369 for transport)

Fuel

According to my fuel log, I have driven the vehicle 17k km and spent R46,382 on fuel, which averages out to 5.6 Km/L and R2.7 per Km driven.

TLDR, Overview

The odometer is on ~410k km, of which I have driven ~17k, and I have loved every minute of owning this machine and all the adventures it has brought me and my girlfriend. Spend to date has been:

• Purchase: R190k
    • Maintenance: R240k
    • Transport to maintenance: R12k
    • Fuel: R46k
    • Total: R488k
    WHAT!!!!!!! no car in the world is worth all of those repairs. You should have cut your losses after the first service. Geewiz, good luck, I hope the repairs stop.

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Firs and foremost, I think you need to change the title to "Costs of owning a 22 year old Toyota Landcruiser 105 4.5EFI".

The listed work done are not items standard on any service. More "repairs" than "service".

But what is good about your post is to indicate the true costs of owning a 22 year old large 4x4 that is somewhat of a lemon (or that has been used extensively).

If you don't mind, I would like to copy your post and repost it every time someone with a >R200k budget wants a 4x4 as a daily driver.

In conclusion, to echo the sentiments raised above, I think those workshops spotted you from a mile away...

Good luck.
    A basic annual service on my 38 year old FJ60 Landcruiser costs me around 6k at a decent workshop, not close to 15.

The 105 is not a technology wonder compared to the 60, hence why would the service cost almost 3times as much?

I don't think the costs the owner has been billed with are representative of average maintenance costs.
    I had knuckles replaced maybe 3 or 4 years ago. It was a fraction of what the OP has been charged. Again, I doubt that there would be such a big difference in price for the parts.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    A basic annual service on my 38 year old FJ60 Landcruiser costs me around 6k at a decent workshop, not close to 15.

The 105 is not a technology wonder compared to the 60, hence why would the service cost almost 3times as much?

I don't think the costs the owner has been billed with are representative of average maintenance costs.
    I had knuckles replaced maybe 3 or 4 years ago. It was a fraction of what the OP has been charged. Again, I doubt that there would be such a big difference in price for the parts.
    I agree with you, as my post demonstrated

But, his excessive costs should be considered when someone wants to get rid of their daily (and very cheap and reliable Polo for instance) and buy a sub 200k 22 year old 4x4. If you buy wrong, it will eat your savings.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    I agree with you, as my post demonstrated

But, his excessive costs should be considered when someone wants to get rid of their daily (and very cheap and reliable Polo for instance) and buy a sub 200k 22 year old 4x4. If you buy wrong, it will eat your savings.
    Oh, sorry. I then misunderstood. I thought you said the OP's post is a true representation of owning an old, large high mileage 4x4.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

26. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

I believe you have been taken for a ride, or have the worst luck in purchasing 2nd hand vehicles.

Or that 17k was done under the harshest possible off-road conditions.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daars nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Just to add, I have a 26 year old 80 series 4.5 efi auto. In January both diffs were redone with all new seals and bearings including new knuckles, total cost was R14500.

While there they quoted R10k to overhaul the transfer case(AWD).

All the suspension bushes - R6k

It ads up but still cheaper than 10k a month for a new vehicle.
    VW Touran 2.0tdi - For the wife.
    80 Series cruiser - To use the fuel I save on the other two.
    Hilux - Work mobile

Heimrich Swart

Brilliant products are ruined by incompetent suppliers.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Swartjan For This Useful Post:

If you want to save a lot of money on car maintenance, and you buy cars second hand do not accept that you are not mechanical inclined. With youtube and the internet, this forum, and some tools, anybody can do repairs.

At first it is intimidating yes, however it is really satisfying fixing your own car, even if it takes a few attempts to get it right in the beginning.

Remember, the price is what the customer is willing to pay.

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

None of my trucks (real trucks) even cost that much to maintain.
    I'm sorry, but I think both workshops took you for a ride.

I am currently having some work done on my 105.

My previous service, full service, including radiator and engine flush, all new liquids and a connection replacement on the front difflock actuator, cost me about R3k.

I am now going to have the tappet cover gasket replaced, all suspension bushes, and the main gearbox seal, gear selector cover, quote is for R13.5k.

Mine is also a 1999 4.5 EFI.
    Barry Hall

Land Cruiser 105

Don't suppose we could be told who did the repairs?
    1996 : 80 Series Landcruiser 4500 GX SW

36. The Following User Says Thank You to LenArtman For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast