Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Is bigger BETTER? Camping fridge!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
    @Disco Man, i'm in the same boat ( except my 50L is still working perfectly fine). do i sell my 50l Waeco and buy one big double door or just get another 50L
    you would find 2 would use more power, but if you are not reliant on overlanding/bush camping you should be fine. However a 50lt it easy enough to move/carry around alone. Bigger units it becomes a 2 man job.
    Space would be less using a single large instead of 2 small

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
    @Disco Man, i'm in the same boat ( except my 50L is still working perfectly fine). do i sell my 50l Waeco and buy one big double door or just get another 50L
    Well to be hones. I've got 2 online sites on check-out just wait for stock conformation!!! Seems like nobody have stock.
    I'm going for the 72L 2 compartments if I can get one!!!

Been there, done that. Buy the biggest you can afford and fit. You won't regret.

I did when I had to sell the 56 liter. Bought 82 liter SM thereafter, never been so happy. Makes so much difference.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Teryos For This Useful Post:

I think you are on the right track with bigger, for sure with longer more remote trips. I do think though that you are even more on the right track with separate fridge/freezer. For me that made the biggest difference when I upgraded from my engel to a bigger two compartment NL.
    D

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IanK For This Useful Post:

YES Got hold of one!!

72l - Thanks for the comments all, who knows we might even end up camping at the same spot someday without knowing it!

Cheers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Disco Man For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Man View Post
    YES Got hold of one!!

72l - Thanks for the comments all, who knows we might even end up camping at the same spot someday without knowing it!

Cheers
    Ja well my luck, first struggled with a decision, then getting a supplier with stock!
    After asking numerous times are you sure you have and got confirmation Iíve payed them just to receive a call this afternoon informing me, they made a MISTAKE! They donít have stock!

Does anyone know of a supplier that would have stock on a 72L dual compartment fridge?

Nice to have a freezer separate from a fridge. I like my dual compartment 90l. Practical.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Therackermann For This Useful Post:

Ja well my luck, first struggled with a decision, then getting a supplier with stock!
    After asking numerous times are you sure you have and got confirmation Iíve payed them just to receive a call this afternoon informing me, they made a MISTAKE! They donít have stock!

Does anyone know of a supplier that would have stock on a 72L dual compartment fridge?
    Any specific reason for going for 72L and not bigger? Space issue? If you don't mind, how much is the 72L?

As a rule I do not check the size of the freezers and cold storage in the hotels, so I cannot comment.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

the one thing I would definitely look at if going dual. Make sure the lids are split. I find it more convenient. Inlaws have the NL 90 and with a single lid and that plastic lid on freezer(only a matter of time before they break that) in a bit inconvenient for me compared to my dual/split lid

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

I'm personally not a massive fan of split unit camping fridges. I don't see the requirement for a freezer. I've never toured so far remotely that I've not been able to resupply en-route. And when packed properly, we'll probably be able to have enough fresh stuff in my 90L for at least a week.

For keeping drinks cool - I drink beer most of the time. The lady friend will drink beer or cider. We both drink wine - dry red & white. Ice is occasionally a problem as we're philistines and drink ice with the white wine. But in cases where we've not been able to get ice, we will resort to something else (did I say I like beer??).

Apart from the larger power requirement to keep stuff frozen, what gets me about the split unit fridges is the fact that one loses so much space. The outer dimensions of the fridge are huge, but when you open it up there is so little space inside because of the insulation between the compartments.

Anyways, just chipping in with my 2c.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

To me for longer trips in the bush a 90 litter dual fridge/freezer is just much more convenient than a single fridge.

On the NL fridges the 90l has the same foot print as the 72l for example, thus the 90l make more sense in terms of using the avaible space.

A small fridge between the seats and a larger one at the back also works very good.

2 x 40l for example will take more space and will use more power, but can work depends your situation.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    If you are planning on leaving it in your vehicle or trailer, go bigger, if you have to lug it around, in and out of the vehicle like me ... then something you can lift without a forklift would be better

This is a very important point to consider. Before my parents had their caravan and the fridge had to go in the back of the bakkie I always had to go load the 90l NL for them since they couldn't do it alone, the big weight plus steps in the house plus a bad back.
    Now with the fridge permanently in the caravan this is of course no longer a problem. I have a 30l which they sometimes also use which my dad can handle on his own.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

@Disco Man
    They have these at Makro
    I'm seriously considering this fridge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20210422-WA0010.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	613302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-20210422-WA0009.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	613303  

23. The Following User Says Thank You to SimonV For This Useful Post:

I have gone the other way for overlanding my 40l is a Freezer running in tandem with a 45l Romer cooler. We produce ice in the freezer usually overnight and this is rhythm on a daily basis. (Just a note one struggles to produce ice while the vehicle is moving which is why the best time to produce is at night when you're stationary).
    Morning - move the day's frozen food pack (Braai, precooked meals etc) from the freezer into the cooler. Take out ice and ice blocks from freezer to the cooler and reload. Leave some ice behind for the evening. Load freezer with the drinks for a day. Turn the freezer down to -5deg c to allow the battery to charge as quickly as possible, while maintaining the fridge contents in a frozen state.
    Afternoon - remove drinks to the cooler before it freezes. Take the frozen food pack from the cooler which has defrosted and at the same time helped with keeping the cooler cold. Turn the freezer up to -10dec c to use the amphours built up during the day to produce ice during the coolest part of the day..
    So the Freezer is only opened twice a day and we have a perpetual supply of ice and cooling stuff to keep the cooler cold. This keeps 2 of us supplied for 10 days before we have to restock.

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    I have gone the other way for overlanding my 40l is a Freezer running in tandem with a 45l Romer cooler. We produce ice in the freezer usually overnight and this is rhythm on a daily basis. (Just a note one struggles to produce ice while the vehicle is moving which is why the best time to produce is at night when you're stationary).
    Morning - move the day's frozen food pack (Braai, precooked meals etc) from the freezer into the cooler. Take out ice and ice blocks from freezer to the cooler and reload. Leave some ice behind for the evening. Load freezer with the drinks for a day. Turn the freezer down to -5deg c to allow the battery to charge as quickly as possible, while maintaining the fridge contents in a frozen state.
    Afternoon - remove drinks to the cooler before it freezes. Take the frozen food pack from the cooler which has defrosted and at the same time helped with keeping the cooler cold. Turn the freezer up to -10dec c to use the amphours built up during the day to produce ice during the coolest part of the day..
    So the Freezer is only opened twice a day and we have a perpetual supply of ice and cooling stuff to keep the cooler cold. This keeps 2 of us supplied for 10 days before we have to restock.
    Exactly what we did overlanding up to three months at a time - usually no power apart from alternator and solar panel.
    This was camping so solar panel only out in campsite in daylight.
    NL Weekender with small freezer, one main lid outside but a plastic lid over the freezer section.
    Rotating the frozen food etc. into the fridge section as well as frozen small water bottles kept everything cool enough. And yes, I also drink beer.

90 % of the time - no problem, good enough for us and uses less power & space and I can still (just) carry it if not too many beers inside!
    It is now 10 years old and still going strong.
    I usually set about - 4 to -5 deg C depending on ambient. Things in the freezer section remail frozen while things in the fridge stay cold without freezing.
    Rotation between freezer and fridge section is the secret.
    Hope this helps.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    I have gone the other way for overlanding my 40l is a Freezer running in tandem with a 45l Romer cooler.
    Yes, done that also, some time back. Every morning we took out what was needed for the rest of day and put in the cooler. At least the meat is unfrozen by the afternoon.
    Johan Kriel

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

I have 35lt on back seat for drinks. 50lt in back of bakkie and 50lt in trailer. 35lt runs only when bakkie is on. Extra battery in bakkie and also one in trailer. 1x 135w and 2x 100w panels in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Teryos View Post
    Any specific reason for going for 72L and not bigger? Space issue? If you don't mind, how much is the 72L?
    Well the 72l sold it to me because of the 2 bin sizes.
    Call the supplier today and they offered me an dual 85l for R1562 extra, lo looked at the outer sizes and saw it will still be a good size!
    So the 72l were R12134 transport included
    and they give the 85l for R13695 transport included!

We went from A single 72 l NL (Freezer or Fridge Depending on our needs ) Then we kept the Freezer and added a 90 L Fridge Freezer combo NL >> best decision we made as we can last longer with 2 x Freezer Baskets and 3 x Fridge Baskets before say exiting Kruger at Phalaborwa to restock. We set our Freezer at - 18 as we sometimes switch off at night with panels at say Tsendze and the temp rises to Minus 6 by sunrise before I plug in panels again >> Fridge section at Plus 6 not to freeze delicate stuff like lettuce >> Go Big as you can I say ..We have a little 50 Litre Waeco to plug into Cig Lighter when travelling >> Keeps Padkos fresh and refreshment drinks ice cold >> we use it as a Cold Box in camp
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2021/04/22 at 05:15 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast