Default Drivers license renewal.

Does anybody else here find this a major pain in the a**e.

Swambo has been told that the earliest she can come is after 31 August, by which time her license will have expired. She has now queued 3 times at the local office only to be sent home because, no power, off line or the 2.30pm cut off time has arrived. Each time she has stood there in the sun for about 3 hrs.

The other queue there is for vehicle licenses just as long with little progress. You used to make an appointment but now it is first come first served or sent away. I have queued 6.00am to license a vehicle.

This is the Gonubie office in East London. We will soon be a nation of unlicensed drivers and cars, with more corruption so that with your fraudulant license you are not a traffic cops feeding frenzy.

They will love it when their revenue rockets because there own people can't licence drivers or cars.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Drivers license renewal.

For vehicle license I've been lucky the past couple years as it expired same time as some of the trucks we use at work, so the woman in charge of the fleet just adds my documents to her pile and she organised everything. I thinks its 10 vehicles total and our driver i suspect knows who's palm to grease when he gets there.

As for drivers license mine expired May last year and I only managed to get a booking to renew a week ago, I checked religiously every 2nd day for a slot that was less than 100km from home. Booking wasn't worth much though as it was still 1st-come-1st-served at the centre, but your name had to be on that days list. Other people in the queue were from places like Randburg and PTA, same boat using the Vanderbijl centre as it was the only booking they could get.
    2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2

I did mine in George this morning. License and PDP. Copy of ID. 2 photo's. Old license and ID. Proof of residence. And doctors form. 7h30 at traffic department. 7th in the que. 8h00 we enter. Complete covid register. Fill in yellow form. Do the eye test and finger prints. Pay at the counter. 8h45 finished. Pay PDP at Absa on the way back to work. 9h00 back at work. Bloodless!
    Pieter Kemp.
    2011 Isuzu 300d-teq 4x4 d/c
    Home built Blapsie caravan.
    The decision you make today, will determine the road you walk tomorrow

morning,

Here in Centurion , Wednesday is 'seniour citizens' day.
    Just rock up early and Q - don't know if it's the same in your area.

cc
    Merit before Race - anything else IS Racism.
    Stay Calm, engage low-ratio, keep buggering on - a Landy Man
    Longevity isn't worth dying for,

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Go there around 11 - 12 o'clock.
    I was done in 10 minutes, while before, there were big queues in the morning.

Its a shamble , difficult to get a booking on line so most people use a 'service' to do that , they charge a small amount less than R100 and you get a booking .
    My booking was in Krugersdorp , to me 5 hours to get it done .
    took 10 weeks to collect , so please check on line to see if its ready as they tell you 6 weeks
    Collecting was good around 10 min
    Must say that mine had not expired so perhaps thats why it took so long to collect as they did say they have a back log
    Do the eye test and give them the certificate as the machines apparently dont work so well in some places, it costs around R50
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Decided not to use an "agent", "middleman", broker" etc. used the online booking system (i know it's not available everywhere), kept an eye open every day for open slots in GP (I live between Akasia and Waltoo in PTA and work around the corner from the Bedfordview centre so my options were a bit more than most. Low and behold, the same Thursday I started checking, slots became available at Waltloo the following Saturday. So Booked, pitched and left about an hour and a half later (previous round with random queuing at Akasia took 39 minutes from opening time till I left). This was 24 Jan, I started checking the site a few weeks ago and just after Easter it showed my license was ready for collection, collected it 2 weeks ago tomorrow.
    Wynand
    2005 Discovery 3 HSE v8
    2002 Discovery II XS v8 (sold)
    1974 Chev K 25 (julle dink 'n v8 is dors)
    Land Rover - making mechanics from motorists since 1947 and electronic engineers since 1989!

Interesting, thanks for the input.
    1) We do not have a service in East London.
    2) They do not answer the phones so making an appointment is not possible. When you do get to the counter you can see the phones off the hook.
    3) Never a lull, I and fellow queuers have decided that when they see the queue getting down to about 5 or 6 one teller will go on tea or lunch.
    4) They close at 2.30pm and will never extend even for 2 or 3 people. Also they never try and catch up system down time.

No chaps it is hell renewing here.

Came up with an idea last night, Swambo's fathers phone is in her name in Port Alfred so she has that utility bill. she on her way there now, will have renewed before the 10th guy is in the door here.

Quote Originally Posted by pwgg View Post
    Interesting, thanks for the input.

4) They close at 2.30pm and will never extend even for 2 or 3 people. Also they never try and catch up system down time.
    This fascinates me, a colleague of mine got a booking in jhb for 3pm, showed up an hour early as requested, and they were closing up as he arrived. Others that were there had bookings off the natis site as late as 4:30, but they insisted the office closes as 2:30
    2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2

Update here. Swambo travelled to Port Alfred to see her dad this morning, I suggested she try for a renewal there.

Has just let me know that everyone in the queue in PA is from East London. Apparently it is only East London who are insisting that you get a temporary license first before you can do your renewal.

It is common knowledge that Amathole Municipality is bankrupt, but this is a slimy way to increase revenue. Increased traffic to other towns outside ADM's district.

Swambo has been advised by very helpful people at the office in PA to come back mid week and she will be done in 30 minutes.
    Last edited by pwgg; 2021/04/23 at 12:04 PM.

My wife's licence has also expired. The earliest appointment she could get at Gonubie is 29th September.... so she will be driving with an expired licence for 6 months... crazy here in Slummies
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.4 4x4 auto
    Metalian Maxi
    2014 Jeep Cherokee 3,2 Limited AWD A/T (swambo)

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6 Overland (sold)
    2011 Fortuner 3 D4D 4x4 (sold)

Does anybody else here find this a major pain in the a**e.

Swambo has been told that the earliest she can come is after 31 August, by which time her license will have expired. She has now queued 3 times at the local office only to be sent home because, no power, off line or the 2.30pm cut off time has arrived. Each time she has stood there in the sun for about 3 hrs.

The other queue there is for vehicle licenses just as long with little progress. You used to make an appointment but now it is first come first served or sent away. I have queued 6.00am to license a vehicle.

This is the Gonubie office in East London. We will soon be a nation of unlicensed drivers and cars, with more corruption so that with your fraudulant license you are not a traffic cops feeding frenzy.

They will love it when their revenue rockets because there own people can't licence drivers or cars.
    We live in PE >> Covid prevents us from booking here . So 3 weeks ago booked my wife at Humansdorp down the N2 >> went yesterday Done and dusted at her Appointment time No ques , just her
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2021/04/23 at 12:47 PM.

On our Simon's Town community whatsapp group certain people were raving about the expediency of the Fish Hoek licensing department this morning...

Quote Originally Posted by Bartman71 View Post
    My wife's licence has also expired. The earliest appointment she could get at Gonubie is 29th September.... so she will be driving with an expired licence for 6 months... crazy here in Slummies

Maybe the girls should make a day of it in Port Alfred.

Pack food and drink and queue at Gonubie for a temporary license.

Imagine explaining this situation to a cop at a road block.
    Last edited by pwgg; 2021/04/23 at 02:12 PM.

Maybe the girls should make a day of it in Port Alfred.

Pack food and drink and queue at Gonubie for a temporary license.

Imagine explaining this situation to a cop at a road block.
    If an official in East London told me that I first have to get a temporary licence, I would ask him / her for a copy of the relevant regulation and their full names and staff number.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T