View Poll Results: What do you like to watch?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • 4x4 and trail reviews

15 46.88%
  • Cross border overlanding

17 53.13%
  • Nature photography

11 34.38%
  • Vehicle modification

10 31.25%
  • Gear reviews

13 40.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default South African Youtube Channel-what would you like to see?

Good morning community members

I have a new and very small YouTube channel focused on overlanding, truck mods, camping and nature photography. I'm looking for insight into what the average South African youtube viewer interested in 4x4, off-roading etc likes to watch on youtube.

Being an avid youtube viewer myself I have noticed that different regions have different interests and styles of channels. North America is more trail and short trip orientated, Australians like their longer touring trips to remote destinations far from civilization and African channels are mostly more nature and wildlife orientated-we do have the animals after all .

My question is what themes most interests you? What type of content do you like to watch as a South African?
    Take only photos
    Leave only footprints

Facebook: Black Overland
    Instagram: black_overland
    Youtube: Black Overland

https://www.youtube.com/c/BlackOverland

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamG For This Useful Post:

Default Re: South African Youtube Channel-what would you like to see?

I like it when the person does their passion. If it starts becoming commercial I don't lose interest per se but I do tend to have one eyebrow raised when watching

I like Juba's Journey. That is just one couple travelling and it feels honest not scripted or a production. Productions are great but then that must be you, that must be what you do and your youtube is there to showcase your work. Roam Overlanding comes to mind. That guy knows how to make a video production even though his content is not the most epic or out there he still captures you by his cinematography.

So find your groove/niche/passion and pursue that. You will find your followers as you go along, don't chase what is the satus quo as that also surely changes as the winds of the seasons.
    2018 Suzuki Jimny - Expedition vehicle
    2002 Land Rover Defender - Daily Drive

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sheldon93 For This Useful Post:

Look at Edward Barth , Juba Journey and Christoff get out and go those gentlemen are for me the top producers yes like a lot of people i love the bush , off grit were there is nothing like mauls , electricity , movement of people daar waar niks is vir km en km aaneen sterkte met jou beplanning ek hou die onderwerp fyn dop

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon93 View Post
    I like it when the person does their passion. If it starts becoming commercial I don't lose interest per se but I do tend to have one eyebrow raised when watching

I like Juba's Journey. That is just one couple travelling and it feels honest not scripted or a production. Productions are great but then that must be you, that must be what you do and your youtube is there to showcase your work. Roam Overlanding comes to mind. That guy knows how to make a video production even though his content is not the most epic or out there he still captures you by his cinematography.

So find your groove/niche/passion and pursue that. You will find your followers as you go along, don't chase what is the satus quo as that also surely changes as the winds of the seasons.

I agree with this, good honest story telling is the best, along with pretty pictures of course, it's Youtube after all.
    This is where I want to bring ASPW in again, if one thing he is brilliant at story telling, the setting, the music, the right sounds at the right time, the necessary narration. You want to be there, eventually you imagine that you are there, you can almost smell the grass and hear the sounds of nature while watching his videos.
    "The problems we have today is because the guys who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." - Magnus Heystek

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bigboy529 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy529 View Post
    I agree with this, good honest story telling is the best, along with pretty pictures of course, it's Youtube after all.
    This is where I want to bring ASPW in again, if one thing he is brilliant at story telling, the setting, the music, the right sounds at the right time, the necessary narration. You want to be there, eventually you imagine that you are there, you can almost smell the grass and hear the sounds of nature while watching his videos.
    ASPW is one of my favourite channels-his career is film production and it shows, his series in 2019 from Namibia, Bots, Zim and Zambia was absolutely fantastic.
    Take only photos
    Leave only footprints

To be perfectly honest, it feels like alot of the SA channels are all in one big mixing pot, its all the same stuff, beautiful scenery, a bakkie making dust on a gravel road, drawn out visuals of animals, and a campsite setup montage. All of these items are what I absolutely love to do/see myself, but, to watch it over and over, im quite bored with it all.

Im a big fan of Christoff's work though as it actually gives info that I take in and find useful.

You need a specific niche/idea to present I think, instead of just general travel. What that is who knows though, so good luck
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 3.0 CRD

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Be original. Don't try copy the Aussie okes like most guys do.

Decide from the start how much effort you want to put into it, what you want to achieve with it.

If your goals are to produce stuff like Adriaan, James Hendry, Ryan Cocker, Ed Bath, Alexandre Rochard et al then be prepared for a significant financial investment into not only camera gear but post production editing software too.

If like me, you don't really have any intention on monetization, grab a go pro and get out there and show people awesome stuff. We've all seen a drone shot of a bakkie cruising down a dirt road. Do something different.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

I tend to agree with alot of the above.
    Local Favourites
    Get Out Go
    Edward Bath
    4x4venture
    RoamingRhino Overland
    My Life in Africa
    Adventures Overland 4x4
    James Hendry
    + more

I think you need to find your target audience. Maybe use a bit of Tyler Thompson as reference/ideas

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

What works in videos is not always what you think is going to work.
    Like mentioned above , I watch videos not necessarily because of the topic, but because of how much information I get from it and how it is presented.

For instance Alec Steele started years ago by just recording whatever he was doing to make a living , his energy is compelling and the way he discussed the mistakes he made all the time was refreshing and kept me watching.

Now he has progressed to a high level of production quality and craftsmanship, but I miss the energy and the discovery of him learning though his mistakes. Even though his content is arguably "of better quality"

I try to make my videos like his videos was in the beginning, not great quality video and editing , but about discovery.

Any of the topics in the polls is fine, but make it "genuine", some will like what you have to offer, others wont.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the feedback guys-keep it coming. I'm getting some really nice insights
    Take only photos
    Leave only footprints

I don't care what the topic is as much as I enjoy journeying with a person. The youtubers I follow do all types of different things. They live their life and they take me along on the adventure. Some I started watching because I was exploring a topic, but very view of them still do what we all had in common at first.

I just follow along with those I connect with. They have found their life's purpose and am pursuing it with passion. My journey is not the same as theirs, but I enjoy checking in once every two weeks or so and see what they are up to.

Long, rambling educational ones rarely lets me see the whole thing through because I mostly get to do youtube on my downtime when my day has reached saturation. I don't have the capacity to take in a 50 minute teaching session. I enjoy 7 minutes or so of teaching, but then if the material doesn't move I stop watching. I feel sorry for my youtuber, but that's the reality of where I am at the moment.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Maybe do some reviews and testing of camping gadgets available in South Africa

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duke1098 For This Useful Post:

I find youtubers that try to overly dramatize things irritate me. Its often a Discovery channel approach of "OH MY GOODNESS IF WE DONT MAKE IT TO CAMP BEFORE DARK THE LIONS WILL EAT US" while we all know not making it to camp before dark is not ideal its also unlikely to be the end of the universe.

The alternative is I find many youtubers feel the need to describe their trips / sunsets / whatever as life changing and portray that because you watched the sun go down over a river they have come to some great epiphany. For me this is just phony and you would be better off just saying "Hey that was a lekker sunset"

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Soul View Post
    Be original. Don't try copy the Aussie okes like most guys do.

Decide from the start how much effort you want to put into it, what you want to achieve with it.

If your goals are to produce stuff like Adriaan, James Hendry, Ryan Cocker, Ed Bath, Alexandre Rochard et al then be prepared for a significant financial investment into not only camera gear but post production editing software too.

If like me, you don't really have any intention on monetization, grab a go pro and get out there and show people awesome stuff. We've all seen a drone shot of a bakkie cruising down a dirt road. Do something different.
    Luckily I already do have some decent equipment, what is your channel BTW?
    Take only photos
    Leave only footprints

Videos not longer than 3 min.
    The long ones is boring!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke1098 View Post
    Maybe do some reviews and testing of camping gadgets available in South Africa
    Nice idea
    Take only photos
    Leave only footprints

26. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamG For This Useful Post:

Good luck with your channel. From personal experience with mine it is hard work.

One needs to add your own ideas as well. Problem is that all these channels target the same niche (and it seems as if a lot op people like it).
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT
    Bush Lapa Miskruier 586
    Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HenkBogaards4WheelingSA
    4x4 Competency - Unit Standard 254135

Quote Originally Posted by LiamG View Post
    Luckily I already do have some decent equipment, what is your channel BTW?
    Will Pm you, wasn't intentionally trying to market myself. Hahaha.
    Si Vis Pacem Parabellum

2012 Hilux 2x4 D/L
    A few basic mods.

4x4 Overlanding...4x4 Offroading...4x4 trail driving and some obstacle driving...also something of Good modifications for off road driving and obstacle driving and overlanding...also some good stories to go with it would be nice...and a camping in the bush video here and there...good luck with the channel...

One thing that really irks me about many of the local youtubers is that they spend more time filming their face than the area they are travelling in.
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM
    Bush Lapa Bosluis B2464

31. The Following User Says Thank You to SamM For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast