Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: License to Tow

Default License to Tow

Good morning ladies and gents,

So I unfortunately have the crap type of driver's license. I got my license in 2019 or something like that, and without knowing I wouldn't be able to tow a caravan I just went with what I got. Over the years I've towed numerous caravans and even slightly heavier stuff like 4ton trailers and and and. I'm a good driver (I think) and I have towed quite a bit. I'm good with trailers and and and and then maybe 3 or 4 years ago someone asked me how I got my towing license (I think it's Code EB). I told him I dunno, I just got a regular license and he said I'm not allowed to tow caravans with it.

Lo and behold, he was correct. I can only tow up to 750kg, unbraked. Well, ####.

So now I need to get a new license. As I know you have to re-do the whole frigging thing, learner's license and everything. I'm in no mood to do it, but I know I have to as we love camping with a caravan and there are two I can borrow whenever I want (so it would make sense).

Now I want to know, what's the cheapest easiest way to do the whole process? Is there someone who knows of someone who does the training and whatnot?

To be honest, at this point I'm not even opposed to paying someone a fee just to get the damn thing done. It's pain in the ass. (that was a joke).

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Toxxyc For This Useful Post:

Default Re: License to Tow

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Good morning ladies and gents,

So I unfortunately have the crap type of driver's license. I got my license in 2019 or something like that, and without knowing I wouldn't be able to tow a caravan I just went with what I got. Over the years I've towed numerous caravans and even slightly heavier stuff like 4ton trailers and and and. I'm a good driver (I think) and I have towed quite a bit. I'm good with trailers and and and and then maybe 3 or 4 years ago someone asked me how I got my towing license (I think it's Code EB). I told him I dunno, I just got a regular license and he said I'm not allowed to tow caravans with it.

Lo and behold, he was correct. I can only tow up to 750kg, unbraked. Well, ####.

So now I need to get a new license. As I know you have to re-do the whole frigging thing, learner's license and everything. I'm in no mood to do it, but I know I have to as we love camping with a caravan and there are two I can borrow whenever I want (so it would make sense).

Now I want to know, what's the cheapest easiest way to do the whole process? Is there someone who knows of someone who does the training and whatnot?

To be honest, at this point I'm not even opposed to paying someone a fee just to get the damn thing done. It's pain in the ass. (that was a joke).
    There is no "easy" way around this. Follow procedure.

Go write your learners and pass.
    Go to a testing ground with a trailer or something with a GVM of over 750kg.
    Do the test. It's simple.

You will reverse in a straight line without stopping with the trailer.
    You will alley dock in both directions with the trailer.
    You will do a incline start with the trailer.
    You will then unhook and parallel park.
    Can't recall any other tests. Google it.

Then you will go for a road test where it's basically the same as with a normal car, mirror mirror blind spot ect.

The only lessons I went for in 2014 when I did mine is to refresh my memory to all the mirror mirror blindspot crap.

The yard tests with the trailer is easy. Especially if you have been doing it a while.
    Search the forum as well. There was a thread on this topic not too long ago.

Edit: I did my test with my Xtrail which is a sort of longish car. When I arrived at the station (drove there illegally with the heavy trailer), the spietkop told me I will never parallel park with the Xtrail. Needless to say I passed....
    Last edited by IcePick88; 2021/04/21 at 08:53 AM.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

4. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Hier is 'n paar bestuurskole wat hier in die buurt op en af ry met 'n sleepwa. Maklikste sal seker deur 1 van hulle wees.
    Wicus Diedericks

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wicd For This Useful Post:

Man this is a pain in the ass. Guess I'll have to make an appointment for my learner's.

PS: What happens if you don't pass the driving test? Your old license remains valid - right?

Man this is a pain in the ass. Guess I'll have to make an appointment for my learner's.

PS: What happens if you don't pass the driving test? Your old license remains valid - right?
    I would assume so.

Yes, PITA it is. They should look at just making you do the yard and road test where it is applicable to the trailer as a add-on to the B.

I even complained to the spietkop on why I need to re-write a learners and do all this I've done before, even after having a B license for 13 years. He just shrugged his shoulders. I think it's a money making thing.
    Last edited by IcePick88; 2021/04/21 at 10:01 AM.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

... I'm a good driver (I think) ....
    Don't we all....
    Tyrannosaurus R5 (sold, but still missing it) and a second hand British Tata and now a small German SUV with working indicators.

"I often wonder what it must be like to be so strong, infallible, articulate, self-content .... and wrong."
    - Pam Ayres

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JanB For This Useful Post:

... I got my license in 2019 or something like that, and without knowing I wouldn't be able to tow a caravan I just went with what I got....
    Devil's advocate here, but how did you pass your initial learner's and not learn this important detail?
    Tyrannosaurus R5 (sold, but still missing it) and a second hand British Tata and now a small German SUV with working indicators.

"I often wonder what it must be like to be so strong, infallible, articulate, self-content .... and wrong."
    - Pam Ayres

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    Devil's advocate here, but how did you pass your initial learner's and not learn this important detail?
    In the days that I got my License they were all EB., in fact you never need to tow anything in the test.

Cannot see why you simply cannot upgrade? The rules of the road are still the same, it is simply a practical issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicd View Post
    Hier is 'n paar bestuurskole wat hier in die buurt op en af ry met 'n sleepwa. Maklikste sal seker deur 1 van hulle wees.
    Ek sou ook se doen dit deur 'n bestuurskool. Hulle voertuie en trailers is reg. Hulle leer jou die regte K53 reels en metodes wat jou kanse om die eerste keer deur te kom baie verbeter. En mens kry die extra voordeel dat as jy by die regte bestuurskool is, hulle al jou afsprake vir jou maak en namens jou gaan betaal en bevestig. Dit kan nogal 'n rukkie vat om in die ry te sit vir dit. Hulle gaan haal ook jou lisensie af as dit daar is.

Bestuurskole ken ook die verskillende toets stasies se bane en toets beamptes baie goed en hulle is geneig om te bespreek by die toets stasie wat se baan jou vermoens pas. Waltloo se baan is blykbaar tricky en ek weet die bestuurskool wat ek tans vir my seun gebruik, bespreek slegs vir 'ervare' learners daar. Anders druip hulle.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/04/21 at 11:18 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Ja ek dink 'n bestuurskool sal seker die regte een wees om voor te gaan. Flippit man. Pyn in die agterent verby. Weet julle hoeveel sien ek hierna uit?

Ja ek dink 'n bestuurskool sal seker die regte een wees om voor te gaan. Flippit man. Pyn in die agterent verby. Weet julle hoeveel sien ek hierna uit?
    Simpatie met jou, toe ek 10 jaar terug my motorfiets lisensie gekry het was dit alles weer van vooraf. Drink maar net 'n "chill" pil en druk deur
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

Quote Originally Posted by Tweeling View Post
    Simpatie met jou, toe ek 10 jaar terug my motorfiets lisensie gekry het was dit alles weer van vooraf. Drink maar net 'n "chill" pil en druk deur
    Dit is die wet van Transvaal ja.

Ek moes learners skryf in 2001 vir my bestuur lisensie en gaan vir toets.
    Ek moes learners skryf in 2012 vir motorfiets lisensie en gaan vir toets.
    Ek moes learners skryf in 2014 vir EB lisensie en gaan vir toets.

As iemand my nou 'n job offer vir groot trok bestuur, werk ek eerder in iemand se tuin. Ek wil nie weer 'n toetsbaan sien nie.
    Last edited by IcePick88; 2021/04/21 at 11:44 AM.

Don't do EB. Do EC, and never worry about any driving permit again.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to DifflockDonkey For This Useful Post:

Look at the back of your current license card. You'll see that EC covers you for everything (except motorbikes)

I need to do this too. The biggest thing is the time to actually do it. I will be redoing my bike learners, it expired a long time ago and I think I will sommer do the learners to tow a trailer at the same time.

Only way is to follow the process.

Insurance companies are always looking for ways out of a claim, the sooner you do it the better.

One advice, Itdoes not matter how a good driver you are, get proffesional lessons - one OR TWO is all you need they practise to get rid of the bad habits.

I did the driver training and pretest at the refinery emergency services, before they went for the code 10 or 14 licence (EC AND C) and we only took people that had car licences.

There are 3 or 4 instant failures that most drivers do several times, we do these as a habit. Instant failures, no second chances.

1. touch the foot brake with one hand on the steering wheel, instant failure. Now try it, go around a corner in traffic and keep both hands on the wheel or drive a vehicle in traffic and try!! Easier in a auto. A very difficult habit to change. Even steering around the corner with one hand - is a instant failure.

2. for us manual drivers. We all get to a robot and slip it into neutral and then pull up the hand brake, instant failure. And you have just taken your one hand off the steering wheel, to put it into neutral, while your foot is pushing the footbrake. 2 yes 2, instant failures in one go!!! or put it into P before the hand break, hand brake then P for Park.. keep both hand on the wheel, if you foot is on the brake!!
    The hand break must be on or in gear!

3. instant roll back, we all know that one. But on pull-off we release the hand brake and foot instantly goes for the foot brake to prevent a roll back and once again, you have failed the test. Remember both hands on the steering?

4. placing the car incorrectly at an intersection, we were evidently taught this wrong.

There are a few more instant failures, we all do hundreds of times we drive. as said most of us older drivers would not pass the K53 today, without breaking the habits first.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Mkulu Kei at Wild Wind Ranch
    * 1975/8 SHREK LAND-CRUISER FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 LAND-CRUISER J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 LAND-CRUISER LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain.

* 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 ISUZU bakkie 4x4
    * MERCEDES UNIMOG U416.
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser. And a Honda 200
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. And a John Deere E140 2020 tractor

22. The Following User Says Thank You to K-9 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
    Only way is to follow the process.

Insurance companies are always looking for ways out of a claim, the sooner you do it the better.

One advice, Itdoes not matter how a good driver you are, get proffesional lessons - one OR TWO is all you need they practise to get rid of the bad habits.

I did the driver training and pretest at the refinery emergency services, before they went for the code 10 or 14 licence (EC AND C) and we only took people that had car licences.

There are 3 or 4 instant failures that most drivers do several times, we do these as a habit. Instant failures, no second chances.

1. touch the foot brake with one hand on the steering wheel, instant failure. Now try it, go around a corner in traffic and keep both hands on the wheel or drive a vehicle in traffic and try!! Easier in a auto. A very difficult habit to change. Even steering around the corner with one hand - is a instant failure.

2. for us manual drivers. We all get to a robot and slip it into neutral and then pull up the hand brake, instant failure. And you have just taken your one hand off the steering wheel, to put it into neutral, while your foot is pushing the footbrake. 2 yes 2, instant failures in one go!!! or put it into P before the hand break, hand brake then P for Park.. keep both hand on the wheel, if you foot is on the brake!!
    The hand break must be on or in gear!

3. instant roll back, we all know that one. But on pull-off we release the hand brake and foot instantly goes for the foot brake to prevent a roll back and once again, you have failed the test. Remember both hands on the steering?

4. placing the car incorrectly at an intersection, we were evidently taught this wrong.

There are a few more instant failures, we all do hundreds of times we drive. as said most of us older drivers would not pass the K53 today, without breaking the habits first.
    The K53 is such a farce anyway.

Show me one spietkop that drives the way the K53 teaches. And I'm singling them out yes, because they are the ones that is "supposed" to be an example and enforce road laws.

But I agree. Go for lessons. There are so many pitfalls and eager testing guys who wants to fail you so that you can pay again to do the test.

Off topic but just a funny comparison:

My son got his license in Florida.

Process:
    1) Obtain learners permit (written test only, no practical)
    2) Drive for 6 months or until 16, whichever is longer
    3) Take another written test
    4) Take driving test - which is entirely done in a parking lot
    5) Get issued a license good for any vehicle or combination of vehicles (trailers) up to 26,000 pounds.

And the nice thing is, that converts to EB license here.

how it is possible to license somebody without leaving a parking lot (in a non - corrupt way) is beyond me. It was not that way when I got my license there in the late 1980s

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Off topic but just a funny comparison:My son got his license in Florida.Process:1) Obtain learners permit (written test only, no practical)2) Drive for 6 months or until 16, whichever is longer3) Take another written test4) Take driving test - which is entirely done in a parking lot5) Get issued a license good for any vehicle or combination of vehicles (trailers) up to 26,000 pounds.And the nice thing is, that converts to EB license here.how it is possible to license somebody without leaving a parking lot (in a non - corrupt way) is beyond me. It was not that way when I got my license there in the late 1980s
    Guessing you mean Florida in the USA, not in the West Rand. Cause there is a testing station in Florida, West Rand

Quote Originally Posted by DifflockDonkey View Post
    Guessing you mean Florida in the USA, not in the West Rand. Cause there is a testing station in Florida, West Rand

Yes - sorry - Florida, USA.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast