Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: License to Tow

Default Re: License to Tow

My wife has been doing some research and my son is going straight for the EB. We are based in midrand but this is the guy she is going with as it seems the local ones are not very trailer compliant.

I have two questions to add to this thread.

So I did and received my license in 2004 - B license.

I'm also in the position that I would like to do my EB license, to allow me to tow heavier trailers/caravans.

My questions are:

1) If you did your B license in a Manual car, can you then do your EB test in an Automatic, or does it have to be a Manual transmission again?

I currently drive an auto Fortuner and one gets very accustomed to one's own vehicle. I also tow my Echo 3 in this.

2) Can one use a trailer that is less than 750KG to do the EB test or does it have to be over the 750KG minimum weight for the license?

2014 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Echo 3 Off-road Trailer

https://instagram.com/roamfreeoverland/

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post
    Man this is a pain in the ass. Guess I'll have to make an appointment for my learner's.

PS: What happens if you don't pass the driving test? Your old license remains valid - right?
    If you don't pass, you simply walk past all the high school kids who have failed their test (and are now waiting for their parents to pick them up), get in your car and drive off - they can't, you can
    You failed your code EB not B, your code B will still be valid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallivanter View Post

I'm also in the position that I would like to do my EB license, to allow me to tow heavier trailers/caravans.

My questions are:

1) If you did your B license in a Manual car, can you then do your EB test in an Automatic, or does it have to be a Manual transmission again?

I currently drive an auto Fortuner and one gets very accustomed to one's own vehicle. I also tow my Echo 3 in this.

2) Can one use a trailer that is less than 750KG to do the EB test or does it have to be over the 750KG minimum weight for the license?
    If you do your EB in an automatic, you will now only be allowed to drive an automatic vehicle.
    They (Traffic Department) recall your code B and issue you with a code EB
    The date of "first issue" that appears on your license card will also reset to the date you have done your code EB.

Anton van Kampen

"At the end of the game, the King and the pawn go back into the same box." - Italian Proverb
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." - Ansel Adams

So glad this toppie was awake that day when we had to convert the code 08 ID license to the new card code licenses.

Many was caught off guard and got stuck with a B license if they asked assistance to complete the form and did not realize you have to tick EB to get the same license you had.
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Weekender & Heavy loads)
    2011 BMW X1 Auto (My Mommy-Wagon)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

My dad went from 08 to CE and the largest trailer he ever towed was a venter.

It has to be over 750kg.

I had a rent a trailer to do my test.

What still baffles me is the fact that I:

1. Managed to rent a trailer with a GVM of over 750kg with only a B license.
    2. The cops at the testing center did not question how I drove there alone with the above combination.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

My questions are:

This is my biggest problem, I don't have any cars available which can tow a trailer with 750KG+ GVM but are a manual. For this reason I am leaning towards doing the EC. Unfortunately none of my clients have been persuaded to let me loose in their Scannias

Drove trucks in my army days.Had military heavy truck license. Converted it to a civilian license. They gave me a EC.One good thing I got out of the army.

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    This is my biggest problem, I don't have any cars available which can tow a trailer with 750KG+ GVM but are a manual. For this reason I am leaning towards doing the EC. Unfortunately none of my clients have been persuaded to let me loose in their Scannias
    I am in the exact same boat. I did the maths of hiring a 750kg+ trailer vs hiring a EC truck (with instructor). He told me that 3-4 lessons with the truck will be sufficient. Cost wise it will be ħR1k more expensive to do EC vs EB (if you are using hire trailers).

I am booked to write my EC learners later this month.

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    It has to be over 750kg.

I had a rent a trailer to do my test.

What still baffles me is the fact that I:

1. Managed to rent a trailer with a GVM of over 750kg with only a B license.
    2. The cops at the testing center did not question how I drove there alone with the above combination.
    Correction:
    You must do the test wit a trailer that is registered to take a load of more that 750kg.
    On the day of the testing, the trailer, without load can weigh less that 750kg, thus making it legal to be towed by a Code B license.

Quote Originally Posted by spoedig View Post
    Drove trucks in my army days.Had military heavy truck license. Converted it to a civilian license. They gave me a EC.One good thing I got out of the army.
    I had Ratel, Buffel and Samil 20 on my license and they decided the Ratel was not eligible to convert, so I got the Unimog/Samil 20 equivalent at the time which was Code 10, now EC1.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by etienne.vd View Post
    Correction:
    You must do the test wit a trailer that is registered to take a load of more that 750kg.
    On the day of the testing, the trailer, without load can weigh less that 750kg, thus making it legal to be towed by a Code B license.
    Hang on a second.....
    There have been accounts of guys getting nailed for not having the correct license for trailers weighing in at less than 750ks, BUT being registered for over 750kg (based on the fact that the trailer IS CAPABLE/REGISTERED for over 750kgs) and the license is not suitable to tow that weight combination.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Quote Originally Posted by etienne.vd View Post
    Correction:
    Uhm....no.

If a trailer TARE is 100kg, but has a GVM of 820kg, you will get a fine when towing it with a Code B license.

There is TARE and GVM.

TARE is the dry weight.
    GVM is the TARE plus it's loading capacity.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

Agree and the easiest way for the cops and everyone else to tell the difference is that trailers with more than 750kg GVM is that they should be self braking.

Quote Originally Posted by Therackermann View Post
    Agree and the easiest way for the cops and everyone else to tell the difference is that trailers with more than 750kg GVM is that they should be self braking.
    Yup.

And although the trailer with a GVM of over 750kg could potentially physically weigh less than 750kg, it does not make it legal to tow with a B license.

It makes sense. There is not a weighbridges on every road, so a cop that sees a trailer loaded with some items can never know that it is "under" 750kg. Hence why they look at the GVM and issue a fine upon that if the incorrect license (B) is used.

I just went through this whole exercise as I had B license.

Simply put, if your intent is to tow a caravan or a trailer with GVM greater than 750 kg then do the EB.

If your intent is to work as a driver towing heavy and driving loads, do EC or EC1.

To do EC is expensive, MUCH cheaper to do the EB if you are on a budget (like most of us are).........

Driving schools WANT you to do EC because they + the instructors make more money out of it.

My toppie got issued and EC after army days and until today never again drove anything bigger than his Amarok and Jurgens behind it.

I get what all the guys are saying with regards to then drive anything, and its true, but carrying a higher license doesn't automatically make you a better driver (and people generally have this perception once obtaining it) + when will you ever drive Interlinks? (Its a good fantasy to have in your head though). 4-5 Lessons at a driving school will unfortunately not cut it, and it becomes expensive.

I did EC1 as my company payed (They wanted me to do C1 - I payed the small difference and did EC1 as I want to buy a Caravan as well).

Like I said (and its only my opinion so please don't crucify me) - if your plan is only caravans and trailers, stick to EB.

If you have the bokke (I dont have 10k for a license upgrade) EB is cool.

Cherio

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Stormchaser For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3