Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: License to Tow

Default Re: License to Tow

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    In the days that I got my License they were all EB., in fact you never need to tow anything in the test.

Cannot see why you simply cannot upgrade? The rules of the road are still the same, it is simply a practical issue.
    Same. I have had EB all my driving life and have towed MANY different caravans and trailers over the years.
    I did not need to bring a trailer over 750 Kg to do it.
    To be honest I was not aware that this was an issue.
    I am aware of the heavy duty license required for larger trucks, but have never had the need for that.

Some of us probably have more practical driving experience than the official tester - just saying.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

Quote Originally Posted by DifflockDonkey View Post
    Don't do EB. Do EC, and never worry about any driving permit again.
    Could not agree more. That's what I did years ago. Never been sorry. My SIL did the same now when he had to get an EB for towing. Now he can drive anything.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
    2. for us manual drivers. We all get to a robot and slip it into neutral and then pull up the hand brake, instant failure. And you have just taken your one hand off the steering wheel, to put it into neutral, while your foot is pushing the footbrake. 2 yes 2, instant failures in one go!!! or put it into P before the hand break, hand brake then P for Park.. keep both hand on the wheel, if you foot is on the brake!!
    The hand break must be on or in gear!

Thank goodness I already got my licence in 1990, because this point doesn't not make a bit of sense to me, no matter how I try to figure it out. So let's say you have stopped on a bit of road with the car now pointing downhill or uphill.

So now you have your foot on the brake, but you are not allowed to take a hand off the steering wheel because you have your foot on the brake? In other words, you must release the footbrake, allowing the car to run forward or backwards, before you are allowed to remove your hand from the steering wheel to apply the handbrake?

If I'm understanding this correctly then this is a really stupid rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Same. I have had EB all my driving life and have towed MANY different caravans and trailers over the years.
    I did not need to bring a trailer over 750 Kg to do it.
    To be honest I was not aware that this was an issue.
    I am aware of the heavy duty license required for larger trucks, but have never had the need for that.

Some of us probably have more practical driving experience than the official tester - just saying.
    Because when the new license cards were issued from the old type in the ID book, all Code 8 licenses were automatically converted to EB under the new system.

New drivers on the system would be issued with a B, unless going for something else than a car.

Edit: https://blog.gcawood.com/2014/11/11/...es-old-vs-new/
    Last edited by IcePick88; 2021/04/21 at 12:54 PM.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Doesn't the EC licence have to be renewed yearly though?

Quote Originally Posted by Toxxyc View Post

When I bought my Ranger in 2014 I went through the process.
    Was planning on doing EC1 as EB is a waste of time if you're going through the whole process anyway.

Lady at the counter said "nai menee, niemand doen daai nie, doenie EC dis dieselle toets"
    Well it's not the same test

EC1 se those small learner driver trucks you see driving around but with a conventional trailer. (With the license you can drive a Ford F250 and a small truck if you move house etc)
    EC is a horse and trailer, but I made sure I did enough lessons, cost me a bit but I passed.

Yes you have PDP that needs to be renewed every 2 years.
    The license itself is still valid for 5 years but I'm not sure about legality of letting the PDP lapse (In my mind you don't need PDP if you're not being paid to drive, or transporting schoolkids etc. but who knows) best would be to check with your insurance

I would recommend doing at least EC1
    Last edited by dumbluck; 2021/04/21 at 06:11 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dumbluck For This Useful Post:

If you did the test post 2001 chances are you have a B license.

The toppies automatically got an EB.

I went through the process last year. To change my 20 year old B license to an EC.

If you are comfortable with reversing a caravan, then just do the EC and call it a day. I did. It was a piece of cake.

I went through a driving academy. About R9k all in for lessons, truck, test etc.

Do NOT go to neutral before the truck hasn't come to a full stop. Instant fail. Keep it in gear.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MariusFourie For This Useful Post:

No, you're thinking of a PDP.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DifflockDonkey For This Useful Post:

PrDP needs to be renewed every 2 years. Your main license is then automatically renewed for a further 5 years. That allows you to drive above 3500kg.

You can have a EC without a PrDP and still be limited to under 3500kg
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

My raad is ook maar om die EC te doen en klaar te kry.

Ek het in 2000 my eerste liksens gekry (B).
    7 jaar later weer learners geskryf vir motorfiets.

Toe begin ek kamp en probeer die EB. Dus weer learners geskryf ekt egter nie geslaag nie omdat ek nie deur n bestuurskool is nie. Ekt toe maar laat vaar.

Paar jaar later n groot woonwa aangeskaf en toe moes ek besluit. Ek het toe vir n vierdie keer learners geskryf en my EC gedoen.

As ek geweet het wat ek vandag weet het ek in matriek al Kode 14 gedoen en klaar gekry. My raad is dus: betaal nou maar die bestuurskool vir die lesse en die gebruik van die trok. Skryf nog een keer daai learners en dan hoef jy nie meer te bekommer nie.

Ps: ek kon darem elke keer die learners die eerste keer slaag.
    Daai is moeilike dubbelsinnige vrae jong
    Last edited by Wildkyker; 2021/04/21 at 09:04 PM.
    Barry Enslin

ONE LIFE!

Blikskottel R9k is bietjie meer as wat ek gedink het dit gaan kos.

Ek sal maar effens uitstel en dit dalk doen voor my liksens weer hernu moet word.

Ek sal maar effens uitstel en dit dalk doen voor my liksens weer hernu moet word.
    Bel ma rond tussen bestuurskole en kry pryse vir die lesse. As hulle sÍ 10, budget vir 15.

Daai K53 goed moet muscle memory en automaties raak. Daai 90grade in reverse met die loskop vat ook bietjie oefen om die gevoel te kry.

Oorweeg ook EC1 en vid uit hoeveel goedkoper dit sal wees.
    Last edited by dumbluck; 2021/04/22 at 08:09 AM.

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

Do yourself a big favour and go for EB. You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    Do yourself a big favour and go for EB. You won't regret it.
    EB is where you're only allowed to tow a caravan and drive a vehicle up to 3500kg. Is that the one you meant?

EC is the old Code14. That license allows you to drive anything (including interlinks) and below (except motorcycles).

Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Default License to Tow

Geen rede om so baie te kos nie. Veral nie as jy vinnig die k53 vereistes snap en roetine maak nie.

9k gaan genoeg lesse en trok tyd koop om iemand wat nie weet waar die clutch pedaal is nie te leer bestuur. Maar jy is nie daar nie.

Ek het net twee lesse in 'n trok nodig gehad. As ek reg onthou was die hele proses minder as 2k. Maar dit was in Swellendam, en 7 jaar terug.
    Last edited by PhlippieV; 2021/04/22 at 09:22 AM.

Just wandering whether anyone on the forum can assist. We are Australian citizens, and probably Zimbabwean residents once Covid allows us to return to Africa. We will resume our southern/east African safari upon our return. We drive a Zimbabwean registered Toyota twincab, registered in my name and tow a South African registered Bushlapa Baobab registered in my sister's name, we couldn't register it in my name because I'm not resident in South Africa.

Now comes the crunch, I have two driver's licences, a Zimbabwean licence (never expires, no Zimbabwean ones do) and an Australian licence (valid to 2025). Neither Zimbabwe nor Australia differentiate between towing and non-towing licences, both licences I have are valid to tow the Bushlapa. Where does this place me when towing in South Africa? I have been through many police roadblocks in South Africa and no-one has ever said a word!!
    Last edited by Tedx2; 2021/04/22 at 09:58 AM.
    John 2014 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 D4D and 2021 Toyota Prado GXL 2.8
    Baobab BL1715 "Kamba"
    "I never knew of a morning in Africa when I woke up and was not happy" - Ernest Hemingway

Kgalagadi 2019 Namibia 2019 Gonarezhou 2019 Mana/Tafika 2018 Kgalagadi 2017 Lion, Hippo, Eland Leguaan, Python

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post
    Just wandering whether anyone on the forum can assist. We are Australian citizens, and probably Zimbabwean residents once Covid allows us to return to Africa. We will resume our southern/east African safari upon our return. We drive a Zimbabwean registered Toyota twincab, registered in my name and tow a South African registered Bushlapa Baobab registered in my sister's name, we couldn't register it in my name because I'm not resident in South Africa.

Now comes the crunch, I have two driver's licences, a Zimbabwean licence (never expires, no Zimbabwean ones do) and an Australian licence (valid to 2025). Neither Zimbabwe nor Australia differentiate between towing and non-towing licences, both licences I have are valid to tow the Bushlapa. Where does this place me when towing in South Africa? I have been through many police roadblocks in South Africa and no-one has ever said a word!!
    Ted, I am pretty sure the guys won't frown upon you driving with a Zim licence in SA, as long as they know you are allowed to tow with the Zim licence. As you said nobody gave you grief at any SA roadblock then you should be fine.
    Robert

'98 Isuzu 280 DT D/C 4x4, home made roof rack
    '09 VW Caddy Maxi TDi
    '06 Citroen C3 1.4HDi8)
    '97 Isuzu 280 S/C plaasbakkie

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Tweeling For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tedx2 View Post

You must be one of the lucky ones, or I must have been unfortunate. Norton Police gave me grief in 2014, while towing my Zimbabwean registered trailer with my South African registered car. Maybe it could have just been an overzealous cop, because that was the time when cops would fine you for just about anything.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    06 Corsa Utility 1.8 Manual: Sold
    04 Camry 2.4 VVti Manual: Sold
    04 BMW 318i Exclusive Manual: Sold
    06 Kia Rio Hatch 1.4 Manual: Sold
    05 Opel Astra 1.6 Manual: Sold
    09 Freelander 2 2.2 TD4 SE Auto: Sold (missing it a lot)
    06 Mercedes-Benz C180 Kompressor Elegance Auto: Current
    12 Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D R/B Auto: Current

--------------------------------------------------------------------

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Samusha For This Useful Post:

The advice about doing EC may be valid if you are going to go there, but if towing a caravan with a normal car/bakkie/SUV is your thing then EB is fine. On the test, take a trailer with a long disselboom, not a short Venter-much easier to reverse. Practice with the trailer-an empty boat trailer is good. Easier to see without the boat.

It is a crazy system really-OK, reversing is important, but much more important is compensating for the weight, reduced speed, cutting corners and ultimately, learning how to hitch, unhitch and check the wheels properly.

I have a normal 'Toppies' EB and used it to drive an RV the size of a 60 seater bus with a trailer behind in the US. On hire, so they checked it out. No problems-even on the wrong side of the road!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to rob wilson For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast