Default Advice please which service to do now on D4?

Good day

I need advice please?
    I drive a 2012 Land Rover Discovery SD V6 SE. It was last serviced by a Land Rover agent in 2017. Since then I did annual oil and filters (oil, fuel, air not pollen). The car has done 11600 km now.

My questions are what service should I do now and should the "water connector replacement" be included now?

I spoke to Land Rover agent and they recommend the big change of timing and drive belt service plus a normal oil service. According to them this (belt service) should be done on years or 182 000 km which ever comes first. Land Rover gave me three quotes, one for an oil service, one for the replacement of the timing and drive belts and one for the two services combined.

I spoke to three Land Rover Indies, the recommendations are as follows:
    • Indy 1 - Timing and drive belt, plus water connector, plus fuel filter and normal oil service - best estimate R17000, I have asked three times but no quotation is forth coming from the company.
    • Indy 2 - No need to do timing belt and drive belt now. This Indy have three services, a Major service, Minor service and an oil change every 12000 km. The company do the timing and drive belt on 182 000 km. (Not years)They replace fuel filter with major and minor service. But they did not mention water connector, when I asked they did gave me a separate quote for this also. Gave me four firm quotations and they come highly recommended on this forum also.
    • Indy 3 - No need for 182 0000 km change of timing and drive belts now, only oil service again. No firm quotation on paper available, they will go through and if something is wrong/need to be replaced will contact me.

Please share your experience and give me your advice please? I want to do what will be the best to "preserve" the car for many more years and not run a risk of not doing enough on time. I am not at all technically skilled.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Regards
    Adriaan

Default Re: Advice please which service to do now on D4?

IF I was you I would:

* Timing Belt (its VERY expensive if it breaks);
    * Water pump;
    * Oil pump- jury is out on this one;
    * Water manifold (It can be VERY expensive if this starts to leak/burst)
    * Normal oils and filters.
    2013 Discovery 4 SDV6S
    2008 Discovery 3 TDV6S (SWAMBO)
    Imagine Comfortvan

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cecilh For This Useful Post:

Timing belts should be time and milage which ever comes first, however your milage is quite low, but it should be done. Modern belts are pretty good these days, though it's the bearings that deteriate and there is no way of checking them without opening up to change the belt.
    Water out let deffenatly change at 120000,plenty of failures from this point. Just Google it. It's relatively cheap around R1000 for the part plus Labour.

Quote Originally Posted by Adriaan 1 View Post
    Good day

I need advice please?
    I drive a 2012 Land Rover Discovery SD V6 SE. It was last serviced by a Land Rover agent in 2017. Since then I did annual oil and filters (oil, fuel, air not pollen). The car has done 11600 km now.

My questions are what service should I do now and should the "water connector replacement" be included now?

I spoke to Land Rover agent and they recommend the big change of timing and drive belt service plus a normal oil service. According to them this (belt service) should be done on years or 182 000 km which ever comes first. Land Rover gave me three quotes, one for an oil service, one for the replacement of the timing and drive belts and one for the two services combined.

I spoke to three Land Rover Indies, the recommendations are as follows:
    • Indy 1 - Timing and drive belt, plus water connector, plus fuel filter and normal oil service - best estimate R17000, I have asked three times but no quotation is forth coming from the company.
    • Indy 2 - No need to do timing belt and drive belt now. This Indy have three services, a Major service, Minor service and an oil change every 12000 km. The company do the timing and drive belt on 182 000 km. (Not years)They replace fuel filter with major and minor service. But they did not mention water connector, when I asked they did gave me a separate quote for this also. Gave me four firm quotations and they come highly recommended on this forum also.
    • Indy 3 - No need for 182 0000 km change of timing and drive belts now, only oil service again. No firm quotation on paper available, they will go through and if something is wrong/need to be replaced will contact me.

Please share your experience and give me your advice please? I want to do what will be the best to "preserve" the car for many more years and not run a risk of not doing enough on time. I am not at all technically skilled.

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Regards
    Adriaan

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Landymac For This Useful Post:

Default Re: FFEDBACK :Advice please which service to do now on D4?

Hi Everybody

I would like to provide feedback on the advice I was seeking.

Eventually I did the following service on my D4 (115156 km/2012 model)

• Cambelt, front and rear with pulleys, tensioners, bearings and the belts
    • Water connectors
    • Oil, oil filter
    • Air filter
    • Fuel filter
    • Lower control arm bushes
    • Wheel alignment, because the control arm bushes were replaced.
    • Cost VAT included R18551.80
    • Service was done by Land Rover dealership

Unfortunately the service experience was over shadowed by a left rear tyre burst during the second test drive the dealership themselves undertook, which caused (My opinion and feeling) severe damage. The quotes to repair the damage due to the tyre burst ranges from R84 000 to R72 000 (VAT Incl in all figures )with the Insurance coming out with a "moderated" assessment of R76 000. The repair work starts on Monday and will take approximately 10 working days.

Again thank you for the inputs and advice I sincerely appreciate it and I hope the feedback on the service can be of help to other Land Rover Discovery members on the Forum.

Regards
    Adriaan

thats not much more than normal LR focused Indies would charge for that work. Not to bad. Which Land rover was this?

The tyre burst though....

just how??