Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,134
    Thanked: 340

    Default Puma Boost pipe split with oil blowout..

    Okay, this 'fred' is due to a misdiagnosed problem.

    The Boost pipe on the return side to the intake has a 50mm split.
    What worries me is the amount of oil that came from that split..

    I know Diesels do have 'some' blowby, but in my case there was quite a bit on the bonnet inside and fender top, anyone had similar issues before?

    truck is a 2.4 with km240K no smoking or serious oil usage, pulls strong.
    Last edited by D-tox; 2021/04/20 at 09:10 AM.
    D90
    D130

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fourways Gardens
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,758
    Thanked: 787

    Default Re: Puma Boost pipe split with oil blowout..

    Imagine what your intercooler looks like...

    Mine is similar to yours in mileage now, and i removed that boost pipe on Saturday and there was also oil dripping out...

    I think i need to add that catch can...im planning on one of these, locally made.

    Google Loco Catch Can.

    Defender Puma Raw Limited Edition
    Series III 88"
    Scout Nomad


    Chop your own firewood and it will warm you twice

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,134
    Thanked: 340

    Default Re: Puma Boost pipe split with oil blowout..

    Quote Originally Posted by ClaudeG View Post
    Imagine what your intercooler looks like...

    Mine is similar to yours in mileage now, and i removed that boost pipe on Saturday and there was also oil dripping out...

    I think i need to add that catch can...im planning on one of these, locally made.

    Google Loco Catch Can.

    I have been 'threatening' to do the catch tank for ages, Think I should just get it done, or let the pipe vent to the bottom of the engine...

    Will fit silicone hoses this weekend..

    And maybe make time in the near future to clean out that inter cooler.. ugh
    D90
    D130

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to D-tox For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,134
    Thanked: 340

    Default Re: Puma Boost pipe split with oil blowout..

    also wondering, if it came from the engine breather, then the airbox should also be filled with oil?

    Starting to wonder if the oil came from the turbo??

    Turbo was bench tested 3 months ago with no issues.. other than it was machined oversized with a larger impeller.

    And why does the landy not smoke if the oil returns through the intake... boggles my mind..
    D90
    D130

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,134
    Thanked: 340

    Default Re: Puma Boost pipe split with oil blowout..

    So I fitted the Silicone hoses, after 10min drive the one on the intercooler 'Hot side' seemed like it creeped a bit..

    it is a Euro speed cooler and the inlet is slightly angled.

    wonder if it will pop off? one can see the cooler rib just in front of the clamp though ..

    Name:  hose.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  133.8 KB
    D90
    D130

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to D-tox For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    57
    Posts
    3,347
    Thanked: 187

    Default Re: Puma Boost pipe split with oil blowout..

    On that short silicone pipe

    saw a u tube thing on using hair spray on the stainless inlet part and it solved my problem of the pipe coming loose

    It looks like you already have "decent" clamps on

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    40
    Posts
    3,134
    Thanked: 340

    Default Re: Puma Boost pipe split with oil blowout..

    Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    On that short silicone pipe

    saw a u tube thing on using hair spray on the stainless inlet part and it solved my problem of the pipe coming loose

    It looks like you already have "decent" clamps on

    I did that thanks!
    What boggles my mind is that it was on properly at least 15mm extra and 'Square'.

    After the drive it settled like this, so my guess is that it might be slightly short, and I know my engine mountings are worn, but doubt it could move that much to actually pull on the pipe..

    not sure if I should leave it like it is??
    D90
    D130

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Oppi plaas
    Age
    47
    Posts
    1,650
    Thanked: 957

    Default Re: Puma Boost pipe split with oil blowout..

    Quote Originally Posted by D-tox View Post
    I did that thanks!
    What boggles my mind is that it was on properly at least 15mm extra and 'Square'.

    After the drive it settled like this, so my guess is that it might be slightly short, and I know my engine mountings are worn, but doubt it could move that much to actually pull on the pipe..

    not sure if I should leave it like it is??
    What works for me, is cleaning the inside of the pipe and the intercooler with petrol. Petrol makes the pipe feel little sticky, which I think help with grip. Then I only used very good quality hose clamps - Wurth Zebra clamps. En ek draai hom tot net voor hy strip.😂
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •