Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Puma starting problems

Last few weeks it’s as if my 2.2 cranks a little slow at first, then gain momentum and starts.
    Last week, one morning, it started, did about 15 km, switched it off and when I tried to start it, it sounded like a flat battery. Push started it and drove it to the workshop. I was a bit busy and didn’t really had the mind space to try figure it out, so I asked the mechanic to replace the battery, new battery and still the same. So I tell him to pull the starter motor out. Took it to the auto electrcian and 2 hrs and a R1000 later it’s ready.

Fit the starter and try start, still the same, sounds like the battery is flat. So I leave the 2.2 at the workshop and go fetch my 2.4 on the farm. Friday morning, try start the 2.4 to go to Hilton and it sounds like the battery is flat, starter cranking it too slow to start, while the alarm is sounding. So I take the Amarok and on the way back, buy a new ignition switch in Dbn.

This morning, the 2.4 crank over slowly, but starts. The 2.2 I left at the workshop over the weekend. Go to town, switch the 2.4 off, and when I try to start it again.... nothing, so to my embarrassment we push it out the parking lot and down the street and push start the thing.

Drove it back to the workshop while thinking hard about this. I mean, two Landies with the same problem at the same time. On both the batteries are good, both recon starters (had the 2.4 starter reconditioned when I rebuilt the engine a 1000km ago). At the workshop, I decide before I replace the ignition switch, let me check the earth cables first. Glad I did, on the 2.4 the lug was almost completely broken off the cable and on the 2.2 it was completely broken off. This is the earth cable between the chassis and the transfer box. Made up two new cables and both Landies starts perfectly again.

So check the earth cables before buying batteries, overhauling starters and replacing ignition switches.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bosvark Kzn; 2021/04/19 at 07:27 PM.
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Puma starting problems

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for the heads-up!

where exactly is the cable? I looked under my 130 before but could not find it... unless someone changed the location of it...
    D90
    D130

Itís the cable circled in red. Itís just behind and above the left side gearbox/transfer box mounting bracket.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bosvark Kzn For This Useful Post:

cool, will crawl in there again this weekend , thanks!
    D90
    D130

Old Defender problem, at some point all my Defenders had to have then replaced or I removed and cleaned them. I have a feeling corrosion builds up in the cable and creates a resistance. Bush electrics opinion.

I had it in a car in the 70's the earth cable at the battery terminal corroded under the insulation.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

2 landies with the same problem at the same time will definitely keep me awake at night.. It just messes your mind.

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for sharing

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mellin View Post
    2 landies with the same problem at the same time will definitely keep me awake at night.. It just messes your mind.

Glad you got it sorted and thanks for sharing

It's still better than 2 girlfriends with different problems
    D90
    D130

11. The Following User Says Thank You to D-tox For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D-tox View Post
    For sure.😂😂😂
    2017 Amarok Extreme V6
    2012 LR Puma 2.2
    2012 LR Puma 2.2 D/c
    2011 LR Puma 2.4
    1976 LR Series 3
    1971 LR Series 2A

Quote Originally Posted by D-tox View Post
    I had a good laugh ....thanks

I have a similar problem where it feels like the battery is flat. It also resets the odometer. I switch off and then normally succeed on second or third try on restarting. This happens maybe once every three or four days. I have checked and cleaned the earth terminal. Any suggestions on where else I should look. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Antrover View Post
    I have a similar problem where it feels like the battery is flat. It also resets the odometer. I switch off and then normally succeed on second or third try on restarting. This happens maybe once every three or four days. I have checked and cleaned the earth terminal. Any suggestions on where else I should look. Thanks.
    have you checked the condition of the battery itself?

Went on holiday for 3 weeks, and came back to a dead battery in the Puma, silly me forgot to hook up the Ctek before we left.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Morning
    I took the battery in for testing and it was fine and the charging is also fine. It is an intermittent fault. Could go maybe 2 weeks before it happens again.

Evening all. This has happened twice in the past two days. If I do not give enough fuel on start up, it sounds like a flat battery and the engine goes dead. The odometer also resets back to zero. After this the vehicle shuts down until I lock and unlock and then the vehicle starts again without any problem. Has anyone else had this problem. Puma 2.4. Thanks.

I have had similar problems before and it all sounds like either -

Loose terminal
    Loose earth cable

This fixed my problem.

I have had a similar issue, found the battery terminal is shaped to fit original LR battery which I guess must have a tapered terminal. Found that even though the terminal was tight the fit was not great, took a thin slither of cooper plate and placed between terminal and connector.

Also used to cut out when going over a bump.
    2010 Defender Puma (Toolbox)
    2018 BMW F800GS

Evening all. This has happened twice in the past two days. If I do not give enough fuel on start up, it sounds like a flat battery and the engine goes dead. The odometer also resets back to zero. After this the vehicle shuts down until I lock and unlock and then the vehicle starts again without any problem. Has anyone else had this problem. Puma 2.4. Thanks.
    This is a very odd problem. Its almost as though locking and unlocking the vehicle ''resets'' something and clears a fault. Is it possible to run some diagnostics on it? Is it possible that some fault triggers a type of fail to safe mode and by locking and unlocking, it temporarily reboots and ''clears'' the fault until it occurs again at a later stage.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

Thanks guys. I will check the battery terminals again. As far as diagnostics I would imagine this could only be done when the actual fault occurs which is not often enough right now. Is it possible there could be a faulty earth behind the dash board.

Hi guys
    On Friday I rechecked the battery connections but after removing the positive cable,my instrument panel was dead and I had no power. I went across to our local indy for diagnostics and the following faults showed. I will try and find an auto electrician on Monday that may be familiar with these readings. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210515_094701.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	32.0 KB 
ID:	615563

So after doing the diagnostics on Saturday the indy left my ultraguage unplugged. This afternoon I checked that all relays were seated properly and plugged in the ultraguage. I took the landy for a drive and same problem on the instrument panel which is the needle on the temp guage shoots up to max, the battery light comes on and minimum power. I pulled to the side , unplugged the ultraguage and everything was back to normal. Is it possible this has also been affecting the start up. Time will tell.

So after doing the diagnostics on Saturday the indy left my ultraguage unplugged. This afternoon I checked that all relays were seated properly and plugged in the ultraguage. I took the landy for a drive and same problem on the instrument panel which is the needle on the temp guage shoots up to max, the battery light comes on and minimum power. I pulled to the side , unplugged the ultraguage and everything was back to normal. Is it possible this has also been affecting the start up. Time will tell.

yes, if the ultra gauge is not properly connected it gives the symptoms you describe here.
    D90
    D130

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast