Post Looking to purchase 2011 GV. Need some thoughts

Hi All,

I am new here, and wanting to get into the 4x4 world (my wife's Kadjar isnt too great offroad). Not looking to spend much as want this to be a bit of a project/hobby.

I currently have a paid off ford fiesta which i fancy trading in for a GV. The one i am looking at is a 2011 with 124000km on the clock from webuycars: Used 2011 Suzuki Vitara Grand Vitara 2.4 for sale | WeBuyCars
    Its really cheap, and went to look at it today. A fair bit of cosmetic damage. Some scratches, some missing paint on the boot lip, worn gear lever and such. It appears to have a bash plate with some scratches on too so i presume this was used for some offroading back in its day. I looked at the rear suspension and noticed a red cap type thing (sorry I need to study my car parts) at the top of the suspension. Not sure if this is a lift or stock?

Anyways, car drives fine. Tested the low range and all working fine. One thing i noticed is pulling away after a speed hump in 2nd gear, there's a small bit of shudder, but i presume this is just due to low RPM. Gearbox is a bit clunky, but from reading a few threads here, thats common. Probably just needs new gearbox oil. Other than that, engine sounds fine with no strange noises.

Could i get some opinions from you all whether this will be a terrible purchase? If possible, please also view the report I've attached from webuycars on the issues.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Looking to purchase 2011 GV. Need some thoughts

I really enjoy my GV. 2011 model is out of the danger zone of the cracking block issue, so thats good. The car has a lift kit installed, thats the red spacer you saw if it looks like the attached pic. Sound like its done a bit of off roading, which may mean slightly higher wear and tear on suspension components, gearbox, transfer case etc. I havent read the report, but something to look out for.

When buying a used car from a dealer, I like asking for the previous owners details. Get hold of them and ask for their experience of the car, why they sold, what they used it for......

My few gripes with my car is the sloppy gear lever, drives me mad, as well as some drivetrain shunt when on and off the accelerator. Also to get the best performance out of the 2.4, one needs to rev it. Second gear can be frustrating at low revs, no torque, especially up at reef altitudes. At the coast its a little better.

I have never driven an auto 2.4, that may be the solution to my frustrations. All in all though, tough car, good offroad, spacious, great looks in my opinion, definitely not a softroader, although some hardcore offroaders will say it is. The Low range is not as low as it could be, independent suspension, but still surprisingly capable offroad. Biggest issue is ground clearance, which the lift kit sorts.

The only other thing is fuel consumption, not the best, I average about 10 l/100km. Trip from JHB to Mosselbay and back, 5 adults and a trailer, got 11.8 l/100kms.

Good luck with the buy, in my opinion the best onroad/offroad combination in its price class.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Scar

2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 man
    50mm lift kit, bashplate, AT Tyres

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Scar For This Useful Post:

Welcome, and looks like a good deal ...not much else you can get at that price which will be as good value. Services were all done, and dekra report not an issue. Judder could be clutch or worn transmission mount, or engine mounts. You will probably need to replace control arms and shocks within the next while, and should probably check accessory belt and tensioner pulleys.

As a project car, you have enough to do to keep you busy.... and the manual fuel consumption is not too bad for what it is.

Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

So part of the whole purchase from webuycars, is for them to send vehicle in for a repair quote, and have them do the necessary repairs if i choose to go through them (I foresee a large expense). Would you guys suggest getting them to fix the fog light and bushings for me, or do you think it will be cheaper doing it myself? From what i read, its not as simple as replacing the bushings alone, but have to do control arms too?

Only issue I see is that its at webuycars, spent a good year or so looking for a 4x4 and popped into them a few times to look at various cars and there's a lot of scary things for sale there and they not always up front about all the issues on a car.

Also I've heard that because they sell on a "wholesale" basis, you cant use the CPA if something goes wrong after purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallGTi View Post
    Only issue I see is that its at webuycars, spent a good year or so looking for a 4x4 and popped into them a few times to look at various cars and there's a lot of scary things for sale there and they not always up front about all the issues on a car.

Also I've heard that because they sell on a "wholesale" basis, you cant use the CPA if something goes wrong after purchase.
    So from what i understand, webuycars works as a wholesaler in the sense that you can walk in with a bag of cash, and purchase a vehicle and immediately drive away with it. The second you receive the keys after payment, they view you as a "retailer" and the liability falls away from them and onto you.

If you finance the vehicle through them, they act as a standard dealer. Meaning they have to repair the car (although at your cost) and get it through road worthy tests. They are then bound by the CPA

Quote Originally Posted by MaddyJ View Post
    So from what i understand, webuycars works as a wholesaler in the sense that you can walk in with a bag of cash, and purchase a vehicle and immediately drive away with it. The second you receive the keys after payment, they view you as a "retailer" and the liability falls away from them and onto you.

If you finance the vehicle through them, they act as a standard dealer. Meaning they have to repair the car (although at your cost) and get it through road worthy tests. They are then bound by the CPA
    ....you can walk in with a bag of cash, and purchase a vehicle and immediately drive away with it....

I am not so sure about that MaddyJ.
    Afaik WBC do not accept any cash in their warehouses and you need to either eft or make a deposit directly into their bank account.
    Even their inhouse cafeterias do not take any cash.
    Johan Westraad

Gravel Travel Inspired!

Quote Originally Posted by Echo Man View Post
    ....you can walk in with a bag of cash, and purchase a vehicle and immediately drive away with it....

I am not so sure about that MaddyJ.
    Afaik WBC do not accept any cash in their warehouses and you need to either eft or make a deposit directly into their bank account.
    Even their inhouse cafeterias do not take any cash.
    True, they move hundreds of cars weekly, that would require a serious bank vault. But yes you can sit in one of the offices and log in to your banking and do an EFT on the spot (or swipe if you somehow have that kind of limit on your card) and drive away soon as the money is in their account.
    2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2

Does the 2.4L Vitara have T/C? I see on later models the dune doesn't have T/C but the Summit does. Do all pre-dune/summit models have T/C?

[QUOTE=MaddyJ;4628936 Do all pre-dune/summit models have T/C?[/QUOTE]

yes.all of the two models.
    2.4 and 3.2

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jadranko For This Useful Post:

I am now the proud owner of a GV

Fortune (or luck) favored me today in that i randomly stopped at VOETSPORE 4x4 before fetching the vehicle to inquire about the lift kit. They had one in stock that had been on the shelf for a while. It was the Stofpad 40mm lift for R2650, which is an absolute bargain! Now to just get this installed and test my babe.

Thanks all for the assistance!

Congrats with your new GV, I hope you get many trouble free kilometers with her. I just bought my second GV, love them too bits!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210422_112555.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	614100

Congrats MaddyJ, may you have many happy miles.

Pics or we dont believe you!
    Scar

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Scar For This Useful Post:

@Bernssurf, Im curious, why buy another and not keep the first?
    Scar

Yes big congratulations!

Wonderfully capable cars while still comfortable for city driving!
    Zerubbabel 2 the 2008 4.8 turbo Patrol with some kit
    Nothing, not even a mighty mountain, will stand in Zerubbabel’s way! (Zech 4:7)

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    @Bernssurf, Im curious, why buy another and not keep the first?
    The block issue on earlier models bugged me a bit so got rid of it as a precaution. Now I have a 2019 model so should be good for the next couple of years. Only the dealers pee me off at the moment, took it in for a service last week and they overfilled the oil by 15mm on the dipstick. If they can't do a simple job like an oil change correctly I'm a bit worried when it gets to more complicated stuff.

Fortune (or luck) favored me today in that i randomly stopped at VOETSPORE 4x4 before fetching the vehicle to inquire about the lift kit. They had one in stock that had been on the shelf for a while. It was the Stofpad 40mm lift for R2650, which is an absolute bargain! Now to just get this installed and test my babe.

Congratulations, and what a lucky find...
    2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MarshallGTi For This Useful Post:

Congrats and wishing you many happy and safe kms

24. The Following User Says Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:

So an update after having the car for a few days.
    Loving it! Although it makes me want to spend money on it

Some small things that irritate me, although none of which make me regret my purchase.
    1) Suspension quite firm
    2) Vehicle is not overly happy at higher speeds, moves around a bit.
    3) gearbox clunky (it is 10 years old though)
    4) A whine developed in engine bay. Seems its the power steering pump which was being fed dark brown fluid. Have flushed it and replaced with some dextron III.
    5) Ground Clearance (Its in the shop right now getting her lift kit )

Took the vehicle to Sandturion over the weekend. Probably not the best place to have taken it considering the lift wasn't done, and those obstacles saw me scraping the belly a few times. Scratched and slightly dented the cross member Was still fun and vehicle didn't seem to struggle at all on the obstacles that i was brave enough to tackle. I plan on getting the rest of the under-body protection done in the coming months!

Will take some pics on my next outing
    Last edited by MaddyJ; 2021/05/05 at 06:38 PM.

So an update after having the car for a few days.
    Loving it! Although it makes me want to spend money on it

Some small things that irritate me, although none of which make me regret my purchase.
    1) Suspension quite firm
    2) Vehicle is not overly happy at higher speeds, moves around a bit.
    3) gearbox clunky (it is 10 years old though)
    4) A whine developed in engine bay. Seems its the power steering pump which was being fed dark brown fluid. Have flushed it and replaced with some dextron III.
    5) Ground Clearance (Its in the shop right now getting her lift kit )

Took the vehicle to Sandturion over the weekend. Probably not the best place to have taken it considering the lift wasn't done, and those obstacles saw me scraping the belly a few times. Scratched and slightly dented the cross member Was still fun and vehicle didn't seem to struggle at all on the obstacles that i was brave enough to tackle. I plan on getting the rest of the under-body protection done in the coming months!

Will take some pics on my next outing
    1) Suspension quite firm - yes it is
    2) Vehicle is not overly happy at higher speeds, moves around a bit. - it should not, check your shocks and wheel alignment. the GV is super stable at all speeds in my experience
    3) gearbox clunky (it is 10 years old though) - cant comment on the manual
    4) A whine developed in engine bay. Seems its the power steering pump which was being fed dark brown fluid. Have flushed it and replaced with some dextron III. - check the idle pulleys too as you said
    5) Ground Clearance (Its in the shop right now getting her lift kit ) - that extra 30 - 40 mm makes a huge difference but we are always limited