Default Glybank Contact details

Hi
    I am lookig for a number for Glybank campsite in the Richtersveld.
    All the sites have the number for Brandkaros bookings and seem to be incorrect. 027 831 1041.

How do you make a booking there?
    Or any other campsites in the Eksteenfontein area that are recommended?

Thank You

Default Re: Glybank Contact details

I'm not familiar with this camp-site specifically, but I believe this is part of the Richtersveld world heritage site. The number in Eksteenfontein was 0278517108 and mail address was [email protected]. Good luck getting hold of them though - I was never able to get through when I was there in November. I just rocked up at the tourist information office in Eksteenfontein where I paid for our permits and camping. Thankfully, there were campsites available.

There are several camp-sites near Eksteenfontein. Off the top of my head: Stinkfontein, Fluorspar valley and Sun valley are all on the Eastern side of Eksteenfontein. Stinkfontein is the closest, then fluorspar and then sun valley. There are more camp sites higher up in the "Sun Circle Route", but I cannot remember their names and exact locations.

On the Western side of Eksteenfontein, I'm only aware of "Tierkloof". I'm not aware of the others, but I presume there should be plenty more.

Camping is R50 per person per day. Permits are R50 per person per day.

There is neither water nor ablutions, and rubbish needs to be taken out, so you are going to have to be equipped for wild camping. There is also very limited cellular reception (pretty much only at towns - eksteenfontein, Khuboes etc), so it is normally better to ensure that you have more than one vehicle, or travel with some other form of comms (sat-phone / similar).

The roads to the East of Eksteenfontein (ie: sun valley circle etc.) are awesome but pretty rough. The roads on the western side are a lot more relaxing, except for the sink-plaat.

Enjoy.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by TheWall View Post
    Hi
    I am lookig for a number for Glybank campsite in the Richtersveld.
    All the sites have the number for Brandkaros bookings and seem to be incorrect. 027 831 1041.

How do you make a booking there?
    Or any other campsites in the Eksteenfontein area that are recommended?

Thank You
    Glybank falls under the Richtersveld Conservancy : 076 089 9457. I am pretty sure there are more sites in that area, I saw the names on a map a few weeks ago, but failed to make a note and now my memory is failing...

Tierhoek is part of the Namaqua eco route : 0818739043 and I will be camping there this coming Sunday.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Merwe Erasmus For This Useful Post:

I did a bit of research and did a bit of backtracking, attached is a pdf with some more info on roads and campsites in the southern Richtersveld.
    Attached Images Attached Images

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Merwe Erasmus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Merwe Erasmus View Post
    Glybank falls under the Richtersveld Conservancy : 076 089 9457. I am pretty sure there are more sites in that area, I saw the names on a map a few weeks ago, but failed to make a note and now my memory is failing...

Tierhoek is part of the Namaqua eco route : 0818739043 and I will be camping there this coming Sunday.
    Thanks. I did not camp at Tierhoek, but I did drive past it. I presumed it was part of the conservancy. Thanks for the PDF as well. I shall save that for future reference when I head into the area again...

Enjoy your trip.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5