Default Dealer Caravan Stock

Hi All

We have been tent campers for the past 10 years in (various guises) and now with our tents past their "best by" date and a family that has expanded to include two small children (age 2 & 4), we recently accompanied my in-laws to the Pilansberg with their caravan.

It was an absolute pleasure! We had left rather late and only arrived after dark (19:30). Fortunately set up was quick, easy and simple and as such we had two hungry children fed quickly and easily with smiles all round!

Following on from the success of this holiday, we began researching what would work for ourselves in terms of our own caravan (we did the offroad trailer thing and dont really like the setup). Of all the caravans that we think would work the Sprite Swing/Splash has emerged as the extreme favourite due to the external kitchen!

Budget was initially R100 000 to R130 000 which seemed to place us in the 2005/7 range for a Sprite/Splash (ideally I would prefer a 2012 onwards for the individually slide system on the kitchen) and so we went to a local Caravan dealer and were really disappointed with the overall condition of the secondhand stock. It was explained that any faults faults identified are remedied prior to receipt, but this isnt really the point the general condition came across as used and abused?

The dealer in question also stocks Okto and I was really impressed with the design language/philosophy. The construction is all aluminum, low profile, but sadly only new stock is available (at the moment) and the most affordable is only 3 berth with no room to modify for R300k. This opens up another debate (assuming a working life of 25-30 years) around buying a 15 year old secondhand unit for R150k versus a new unit for R300k (but that is for another day)

Can anybody recommend a dealer from their experience that is very selective as to what they place on their floor even at a slight premium? The only thing that really concerns (as I dont know what to look for) is wood rot and resealing, vehicles are to a certain extent far easier to find fault, rust, strange noises, smoke etc....

Thanks

David

P.S. As we are based in the west of Johannesburg we are extremely lucky to have a plethora of camp sites to explore within 2-3 hours of home. Both myself and my wife have flexi-hours available and we would be keen to get out caravanning monthly/bi-monthly with the idea being the caravan is in a ready state to be hooked on a Friday at 3 to be on a site by 17:00-18:00 back on a Sunday at a similar time

Default Re: Dealer Caravan Stock

I am also in the market for similar.

I am of the opinion that dealers buy stock for next to nothing and then load the prices.

What I've seen is private sellers ask better prices and it is a two way win situation. But, there is the danger to buy a "kat in die sak" regards to wood rot etc, with no guarantee to fall back on. I suppose one must decide what risk you are willing to take.

I've been canvassing OLX, Gumtree and other sites for a while and good caravans sell quick. Those too expensive do not.

There is currently a Swing in Cape Town for R170k (Gumtree I think, 2012). Widowed lady. I am sure, if she can drop R10k you will have a bargain. The problem is that these good buys are sometimes far away.......

Take your time and the right one will appear.

Happy shopping!

Bostoe

Thanks Bostoe!

About 4 years ago, we went through the same process, and came to the same conclusion as Bostoe... They buy low, and sell high. (It's a business, not knocking it)

We did a lot of local searching, and realised that the best deals were to be had up North.

When we found something, distance being an issue, we got in touch with the owner, and after getting a "good feeling" about the van , and the seller, made a deal regarding an inspection. He'd cover the inspection cost, if something bad was found, otherwise, we'd pay, including in the selling price. Was a win win, and we scored a brilliant van, for a very good price, even if we had to Cape Town to Pretoria over a long weekend.
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

If you want to have a look at something at a dealership, try Kempton Caravans in Edenvale. They have lots of stock whenever I drive past and I've always had good dealings with them. The Xplorer I bought from them was in their "wash and go" older caravans. They traded them in but don't want to do any repairs that are needed. All the small problems that they told me about were easy enough for me to fix.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Hi BobMabena

Thank you so much!, When you say up North do you mean here in JHB/PTA?

David

Quote Originally Posted by OceanWanderer View Post
    Hi BobMabena

Thank you so much!, When you say up North do you mean here in JHB/PTA?

David
    Yup...
    Cape Town stock isn't great... so tracking down a quality van in Gauteng was best for us
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Slightly OT but being vaguely in the market for a caravan / trailer I find it the weirdest thing that dealers do not keep their stock updated on their websites. Do they expect people to drive to their showroom to see what is available? Am I meant to give up every weekend to tour the dealers of Gauteng in the hope they have something I am looking for?

Surely they realize that most browsing is done from a computer and then when you find something you like THEN you make a turn past to check it out in the flesh?
    Last edited by Half-Pint; 2021/04/20 at 08:43 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Half-Pint For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Half-Pint View Post
    Slightly IT but being vaguely in the market for a caravan / trailer I find it the weirdest thing that dealers do not keep their stock updated on their websites. Do they expect people to drive to their showroom to see what is available? Am I meant to give up every weekend to tour the dealers of Gauteng in the hope they have something I am looking for?

Surely they realize that most browsing is done from a computer and then when you find something you like THEN you make a turn past to check it out in the flesh?
    Hi Half-Pint

I totally agree, unfortunately, there is general theme that is occurring.... Leg work, leg work, leg work and a little luck!

I think the best option is to endure the pain of phoning before visiting....

David

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    If you want to have a look at something at a dealership, try Kempton Caravans in Edenvale. They have lots of stock whenever I drive past and I've always had good dealings with them. The Xplorer I bought from them was in their "wash and go" older caravans. They traded them in but don't want to do any repairs that are needed. All the small problems that they told me about were easy enough for me to fix.
    Hi Paul

Thanks, popping over to the East Rand this weekend so will take a look!

David