Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Gwm p series 4x4 LT

So, has anyone bought one of these? Feedback?
    2015 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DiD HP D/C 4x4
    2011 Conqueror Courage

2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon MW3 : SOLD One day I will have another...

GP0111

I bought a Steed 5 2,2mpi new in 2012 if I remember correctly - did over 220 000km with it in 3 years and the only problem I had was the a/c compressor clutch that became noisy. I opened it up, removed a shim, put it back together and never had a problem again. It was written off in an accident. Nothing fell off, no rust, no visible wear or tears on the leather seats....underpowered and a bouncy ride, but very reliable car.

Bought a GWM Florid X in 2013. Apart from the alternator that needed some or other repair last year, it had no other problems and it it still running perfectly. Driven by who is now my ex, so not sure about mileage but must be well over 100 000km by now....

For both cars I bought service parts from the local spares shop when they went out of warranty - always got the parts I needed within a day.

A friend got his new GWM Jolion last week, and I had a good look at it this past weekend. It is not the top of the range model, but what an awesome car for R300k!

As for all the comments inferior materials and poor quality....in my experience....not the case at all!

I will buy another GWM product without hesitation - and they have been around for long enough not to be considered a newcomer or unknown brand anymore.

Went to test drive the P-series about 2 months ago. Only drawback for me was that it has a little bit more wind/road noise than my current car (Fiat Fullback). I am already thinking that a good Dynamat installation will fix that for probably R10K - in fact it should then be as quiet or better than any other d/c. Ride is good, engine has enough power (I can feel there is less than what I have now, but it is not sluggish at all) and off course the thing is packed with tech, features and luxury.

I should mention that I also test drove a 3.2 Wildtrak at the same time - used but around the same price as the GWM new. It does have a slightly softer ride (but not by much to be honest) and it was noticeably quieter inside. But for a 3.2 liter engine it is lazy, and the engine actually quite noisy at slower speeds in town. As for the interior and "gadgets" - both are very nice, and I cant really say one is better than the other.

In the end I did not buy either because they did not offer me enough trade in to settle my current car, but I would have gone for the GWM. Purely because I have only had good experience with them, and the value you get for your money is unbeatable.

Edit: It is in fact a Haval Jolion, Haval being GWM's passenger cars. Name change a while ago
    Last edited by CvdN; 2021/06/08 at 08:33 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CvdN For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gwm p series 4x4 LT -

I have been driving one for almost 2 weeks now. At the dealer i saw 4 Ford Rangers traded in for a P series. I must say, it performs like it's supposed to. I only tested on tar and gravel road so far. The design and technology are out of this world. 5 year warranty...so i will get rid of it on the 6th year if gives troubles...only if. I recommend this beast. Everything is bigger and better with it. Installed a tracker today. The tech guy said they discovered something about this van that the power sleeps after almost 2 hours but they have managed to get through it in order for the tracker not to go off or disturbed when the power/battery goes on sleeping mode. GO FOR IT!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Poer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Poer View Post
    I have been driving one for almost 2 weeks now. At the dealer i saw 4 Ford Rangers traded in for a P series. I must say, it performs like it's supposed to. I only tested on tar and gravel road so far. The design and technology are out of this world. 5 year warranty...so i will get rid of it on the 6th year if gives troubles...only if. I recommend this beast. Everything is bigger and better with it. Installed a tracker today. The tech guy said they discovered something about this van that the power sleeps after almost 2 hours but they have managed to get through it in order for the tracker not to go off or disturbed when the power/battery goes on sleeping mode. GO FOR IT!
    What did you have before the Poer?

T.Hilux, which i still have...I had to make up my mind after comparing a few things and be open to change. They won't be 100% the same but this bakkie really convinced me. I'm still a Toyota guy though. I'm not breaking our relationship but i don't regret my change to GWM also and looking forward to discovering more of it's capabilities. And for a big car it is...my wife is also enjoying driving it. Had to add extra +-R2000 to get it in that sparkling blue colour.
    Last edited by Poer; 2021/06/08 at 12:27 PM.

I took the top spec double cab for a test drive today. It is a very, very nice place to spend time in. The upholstery is rich and comfortable, finding a good driving position is easy, that 8 speed auto is sublime. The interior is quiet and spacious and it has every single driving aid you can think of. I like the lane assist and radar cruise control, the blind spot indicator, the camera that switches on when at a junction, the collision warning system etc. The engine is very refined and pulls hard.

If I have a criticism it would be that the vehicle suspension is quite harsh, reminding you this is based on a commercial vehicle, it might also be that the tyres were pumped quite hard.

It is a LOT of vehicle for the price.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koebelwagen View Post
    the camera that switches on when at a junction
    the 360 camera turns on when you are at a junction? Like when you are at a robot waiting it turns on automatically?
    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

Haval H9 2.0T AWD
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4
    Ex 2017 Ranger DC XL Auto 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by PsyPhin View Post
    the 360 camera turns on when you are at a junction? Like when you are at a robot waiting it turns on automatically?
    Yes, when you turn on the indicator.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

Default Gwm p series 4x4 LT

Have now driven 2 of the Cannon base spec utes for almost n month.

It seems I will have to give the ute back this week as my insurance has now settled my written off Ford Ranger.

I went looking at the Toyota SR5 and the Ford Ranger XLT.
    Toyota is $68 000
    Ford is $54 000

Both awesome utes as everyone knows.

Unfortunately there is currently no stock of either in Western Australia.
    Secondhand market is fubar. A 2017 Ford Ranger with 90 000 km trades for $48 000.

I think I am going to buy one of the Cannon’s.
    Pricing here in Oz is:
    Cannon $33 700
    Cannon L $37 400
    Cannon X $40 300

We only get the 4x4 automatic version.

My biggest issue thus far with this ute is the throttle lag.
    It is pretty noticeable in ‘normal’ and ‘eco’ mode. In sports mode it is better, but the unfortunately the gearing revs higher in each gear.
    Apparently a $200 throttle controller solves the issue.

Second issue. It has less than 200mm ground clearance. Here in Perth, most offroading is done in deep soft sand.
    I need to see if a lift kit and higher walled tyres might solve this.

Lastly, towing.
    It tows our 2.5t caravan fine, but everyone, including myself is reporting a slight shudder when pulling away quickly.
    Someone tried to explain it as the angle of the axle that changes when you put 200 to 300kg of towball weight on.

Other than that….. man what a nice drive.

Last edited by jdjoubert; 2021/06/13 at 12:57 AM.
    Dit Reent.... n Kraai Knetter.... Erens Poep n Vark.....

Oh, forgot to say.
    They also come with 7 year warranty and Unlimited kilometers.

So I am guessing if one buys it, drive it 5 years then sell it……

It probably all depends what ANCAP rating they will be getting soon and then what type of secondhand value they will have.

But at $37000 for a brand new ute.
    An older 2018 model Steed sold here for $29 000 when new. Now selling for $22000. Seems ok to me.

Oh, it does seem to do a DPF clean every 500km or so.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdjoubert For This Useful Post:

Interesting point on trade in, Mark White from Mark White Nissan said that he has no problem with the trade in on Haval, resale is on point and second hand, it is one of the fastest vehicles they move off the floor.
    Dirk
    Member - 4x4 Community
    Member - 4x4 Action Group (0044)
    Member - V Owners Group (VOG 081)
    Member - patrol4x4 forum

Quote Originally Posted by offroadbiker View Post
    Interesting point on trade in, Mark White from Mark White Nissan said that he has no problem with the trade in on Haval, resale is on point and second hand, it is one of the fastest vehicles they move off the floor.
    I believe that, these vehicles have become what the Koreans used to be, well specced, good quality at a reasonable price.

If they are good value new, then they should also be good value used.

I see loads of Haval vehicles on the road every day, and the P Series is definitely starting to pick up in numbers on the roads. People want value for their money, this is why Haval will succeed with the P Series and why Mercedes Benz failed dismally with the X Class. Brand value is nothing without intrinsic value.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:

This is now a permanent feature in our driveway.

Cannon L

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jdjoubert For This Useful Post:

Congratulations! It would be nice to keep us updated on the ownership experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdjoubert View Post

Cannon L

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Beautiful...great choice...just look at her....enjoy every moments you are going to create.

I just can't get enough of mine. Every drive feels like the first day.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Poer For This Useful Post:

Cool Re: Gwm p series 4x4 LT

Congratulations JD

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Poer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jdjoubert View Post

Cannon L

JD baie geluk mooi trok ek sien hier in petrol dorp hardloop al n paar van hulle lekke grond hoogte

It sure is nice to drive.

Coming from a 2009 Ford Ranger manual, this feels like it has a bit more power, but I guess its just the 8 speed auto box that makes it feel that way.

On paper it has a bit more ooomf than my previous Ranger but not much more.

Going for a drive this morning as I have to put 1000 to 1500km on before I am allowed to tow anything.

As this is a work and play ute, she will be towing a small trailer every day and once a month have to tow the caravan also.

This is where I am unsure of how she will perform.

I have read of people happily towing 2.5t caravans, but I have not read any reviews of people towing off road.

The worry for me is will it tow 2.5t in thick sand at 30km/h without boiling the torque converter?

This morning its -4.5 here by us. Having those heated seats sure is nice

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jdjoubert For This Useful Post:

not sure are they giving those bakkies for free as they starting to
    over populate krugersdorp.

Same in Centurion. They do blend in so I need to see the front or back of it to know its a P series.
    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

Haval H9 2.0T AWD
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4
    Ex 2017 Ranger DC XL Auto 4x4

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast