Thread: Side Reflecives

Default Side Reflecives

Good day all

so im in the process of getting a new vehicle. Due to stock issues i didnt have much of a choice on colour (charcoal grey)

I by default put a strip of red reflective on the back of my vehicles and a small white strip on the each side of the front bumper. as this is regulation in Zim a country I frequent for work and i know this config doesn't have any issues with police in SA

Being that the vehicle will be a dark grey colour and that alot of my long distance travels can be through the night i want the vehicle to be more visible from the sides i don't want to put yellow reflective down the sides of the vehicle if i can help it. I do want to put white decals on the sides of the vehicles. for aesthetic reasons. when i thought i could get them made out of a white reflective vinyl however i do not know the legality of this and the only information i can fine only covers commercial vehicles.

Would anyone be able to assist me with information in this regard.

Thanks

Default Re: Side Reflecives

If you don't mind a bit of admin each time you could get reflective vinyl on the magnetised backing as they do with removable door branding. Should work just fine and not a permanent feature. As long as it doesn't look like a disco ball or official government vehicle I reckon 1 or 2 strips should be fine.
    And if there's a problem, just pull them off, throw them in the back and use again next time.
    Last edited by Nabs; 2021/04/19 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabs View Post
    If you don't mind a bit of admin each time you could get reflective vinyl on the magnetised backing as they do with removable door branding. Should work just fine and not a permanent feature. As long as it doesn't look like a disco ball or official government vehicle I reckon 1 or 2 strips should be fine.
    And if there's a problem, just pull them off, throw them in the back and use again next time.
    With magnetic boards you will definitely damage the paint on the vehicle if they are left in place for any period of time. Fine dust gets behind the magnet and stuffs the paint up.
    I've had white reflective lettering one the side back windows of my car for over 10 years and never had any problems with the law.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Yes magnetic is out for me as i travel to Bots and zim on a regular basis for work and especial up in the chobe area its very dusty. it would need to be a permanent sticker

I was looking along the lines of theseClick image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l300.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	613048Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford_Ranger_Seitenstreifen_ml.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	613049

Either one which covers a large area of the side of the vehicle which i think may be an issue. or a strip that would go along the based of the door

Just remember reflective is a bugger to remove, it does not just peel off like normal vinyl, so maybe consider applying clear regular vinyl first.

(I learned this the hard way....)

Quote Originally Posted by robsp15 View Post
    Yes magnetic is out for me as i travel to Bots and zim on a regular basis for work and especial up in the chobe area its very dusty. it would need to be a permanent sticker

Either one which covers a large area of the side of the vehicle which i think may be an issue. or a strip that would go along the based of the door
    Any good stickler/sign place will be able to do those for you. In daylight from a distance it'll be hard to tell its reflective. With especially the second option of the photos graphic and lettering I can't see you having any problems with the law. You aren't trying to look like a law enforcement vehicle.
    I can recommend both Stingray Graphics and Apple Signs to do work like this. Both are in Edenvale.
    Last edited by Paul#25; 2021/04/19 at 10:19 PM.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

I genuinely would personally see no issue with any of these on a reflective vinyl. I think so long as there is no Code of Arms being used, neither lettering that could be mistaken for law enforcement agency, one should be fine. Simply humbly exolain the situatiom if one encounters a thirsty civil servant.
    Quote Originally Posted by robsp15 View Post