Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The Inglorious Tshwane Metro Police Department

As most in Pretoria are probably aware, the TMPD regularly hang out on the R21. When travelling towards the city, on the bend at Groenkloof. When travelling the other way, they hang out at the intersection with Johan Rissik drive.

It was my weekend with the kids this weekend past. On Sunday, I took a leisurely drive through to Brits to drop my kids off with their mother. On the way back to Garsfontein, I got pulled off in a road block on the R21 - the Johan Rissik spot.

My licenses (driver's and vehicle) are all up to date and all OK, so after a quick glimpse at both of these, the honourable officer mentions: "Your windscreen is cracked. Explain this to me". I got a crack on the windshield in November, but in the last day or two (presumably with the colder weather) it has run rather badly. It was fine until recently, but I've just not got around to replacing it. I mention this to him, and he states that he'll be writing me a ticket. Very politely, I tell him to write me my ticket.

Instead of writing my ticket, he states again that he will be writing a ticket. At this point, I start getting the feeling that he wants to "discuss" matters. Aka: hit me up for a bribe.

Unfortunately, I'm grumpy most days these days. On days when I've just dropped the kids off with their mother and I'm sort of a little grumpier, as Ive got two weeks of missing them to look forward to. Unfortunately, this is not always a good thing when dealing with the TMPD, but the red-veil has come down. So I tell him "Please write me my ticket." and that I will contest any ticket written.

For the next 15 minutes, I am told that I'm not allowed to disagree with the police. I'm told that I'm lucky that it is not a SAPS roadblock, as they would have planted drugs on me and arrested me for that. I'm asked whether I'd been drinking. I'm told that all the TMPD officers standing at the roadblock "stand together", and that it would be bad for me if I were to be arrested as "I was alone with no witnesses".

I kept on responding telling him to "write me my ticket". I think after a while, he noticed I was not going to budge, got tired of being a rabid butterfly. He returned my license to me, and I could go.

Sadly, I don't have his name (his reflective vest was hiding his name tag), and I doubt there is any point in taking it further in any case. But the TMPD is not on my poo-list. I'm a little bit bleak with them...
    Last edited by iandvl; 2021/04/19 at 11:52 AM.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The Inglorious Tshwane Metro Police Department

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    As most in Pretoria are probably aware, the TMPD regularly hang out on the R21. When travelling towards the city, on the bend at Groenkloof. When travelling the other way, they hang out at the intersection with Johan Rissik drive.

It was my weekend with the kids this weekend past. On Sunday, I took a leisurely drive through to Brits to drop my kids off with their mother. On the way back to Garsfontein, I got pulled off in a road block on the R21 - the Johan Rissik spot.

My licenses (driver's and vehicle) are all up to date and all OK, so after a quick glimpse at both of these, the honourable officer mentions: "Your windscreen is cracked. Explain this to me". I got a crack on the windshield in November, but in the last day or two (presumably with the colder weather) it has run rather badly. It was fine until recently, but I've just not got around to replacing it. I mention this to him, and he states that he'll be writing me a ticket. Very politely, I tell him to write me my ticket.

Instead of writing my ticket, he states again that he will be writing a ticket. At this point, I start getting the feeling that he wants to "discuss" matters. Aka: hit me up for a bribe.

Unfortunately, I'm grumpy most days these days. On days when I've just dropped the kids off with their mother and I'm sort of a little grumpier, as Ive got two weeks of missing them to look forward to. Unfortunately, this is not always a good thing when dealing with the TMPD, but the red-veil has come down. So I tell him "Please write me my ticket." and that I will contest any ticket written.

For the next 15 minutes, I am told that I'm not allowed to disagree with the police. I'm told that I'm lucky that it is not a SAPS roadblock, as they would have planted druges on me and arrested me for that. I'm asked whether I'd been drinking. I'm told that all the TMPD officers standing at the roadblock "stand together", and that it would be bad for me if I were to be arrested as "I was alone with no witnesses".

I kept on responding tellling him to "write me my ticket". I think after a while, he noticed I was not going to budge, got tired of being a rabid butterfly. He returned my license to me, and I could go.

Sadly, I don't have his name (his reflective vest was hiding his name tag), and I doubt there is any point in taking it further in any case. But the TMPD is not on my poo-list. I'm a little bit bleak with them...

Good on you for not playing his game - if people would just stop doing that - just like you - this BS would stop.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

That is the one nice thing driving the UNO, with the Wrangler I got pulled over regularly by scaly cops hinting on bribes, with the UNO they don't even bother.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people - Eleanor Roosevelt.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JCMostert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JCMostert View Post
    That is the one nice thing driving the UNO, with the Wrangler I got pulled over regularly by scaly cops hinting on bribes, with the UNO they don't even bother.
    Perhaps it is a Wrangler thing - this is the first time I've been stopped by the cops for years... I would find it difficult to drive a smaller car though - I took the lady-friend's Corsa in for tyres the other day. It scared the *** out of me... I don't think I'd manage with an UNO...

Driving the truck, you are sort of "king of the road". You can see so much further. You have "gravitas" on the road. Your head is higher than the wheels of the truck you are passing. Taxis fear you...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Perhaps it is a Wrangler thing - this is the first time I've been stopped by the cops for years... I would find it difficult to drive a smaller car though - I took the lady-friend's Corsa in for tyres the other day. It scared the *** out of me... I don't think I'd manage with an UNO...

Driving the truck, you are sort of "king of the road". You can see so much further. You have "gravitas" on the road. Your head is higher than the wheels of the truck you are passing. Taxis fear you...

Hmm.... I need to get a Patrol then. Taxis do not seem to fear my land rovers...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

The TMPD is scum. Maybe invest in a dashcam?

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hennie84 For This Useful Post:

Good job Ian.

I always ask that they identify themselves: Name, rank (if their vests cover their insignia of rank) and duty station. I reckon that once I produce my license, they know my identity and that the converse should apply.

By knowing their name, rank and duty station, they will be much less inclined to solicit a bribe.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Dashcam is a great thing to have. I have been stopped a few times by EMPD and others and never anything more than a glance at the basics and then sent off. Cannot say it is the dashcam but I distrust any Metro cop stopping me. I think most of them are crooked.
    Wimpie Nel
    Discovery 5

Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing - Ron Swanson

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blikka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Hmm.... I need to get a Patrol then. Taxis do not seem to fear my land rovers...
    Pretty sure a Disco is probably the same size as a Patrol, so I'm not sure it's a Patrol thing. I think it is more the fact that it is a pieces of steel on both ends thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Hennie84 View Post
    The TMPD is scum. Maybe invest in a dashcam?
    I was thinking about this yesterday. I've actually got one lying in a drawer somewhere. But I've only normally used it for trips / trails and things. I think I must start keeping it in the truck though, and let it roll permanently.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Dashcam for the win: Quite a few times they tried to pull me over and then noticed the dashcam and waved me on.
    Last edited by Wolfus; 2021/04/19 at 12:13 PM.
    It is a long road to eternity, enjoy the journey.

Subaru XV Silver 2019 (Ghost In the Machine)

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wolfus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Good job Ian.

I always ask that they identify themselves: Name, rank (if their vests cover their insignia of rank) and duty station. I reckon that once I produce my license, they know my identity and that the converse should apply.

By knowing their name, rank and duty station, they will be much less inclined to solicit a bribe.
    I did actually ask him to identify himself. On one of the occasions when I again requested that he write my ticket for me, I also asked him to make sure he wrote his name nice and clearly.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Rule number one, never remove the smile from your face, and submit like a scared little puppy. If you show one tiny inkling of aggression/irritation, you're done for.
    Ive had several occasions where he/she says he's writing the ticket and its going to be a gajillion rand etc etc. I just submit, pretend its the worst thing to have ever happened to me, and be absolutely stupid and oblivious to any hints of bribes.
    I eventually get let go with no fine, and im convinced the cop thinks what an absolute simpleton I am as I drive away.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan Patrol 3.0 CRD

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Rule number one, never remove the smile from your face, and submit like a scared little puppy. If you show one tiny inkling of aggression/irritation, you're done for.
    Ive had several occasions where he/she says he's writing the ticket and its going to be a gajillion rand etc etc. I just submit, pretend its the worst thing to have ever happened to me, and be absolutely stupid and oblivious to any hints of bribes.
    I eventually get let go with no fine, and im convinced the cop thinks what an absolute simpleton I am as I drive away.
    Graham, this is my standard modus operandi. I've not been fined for many years (I think it is about 15 years??) when pulled over by the police - despite having been in the wrong once or twice. I'm super calm, super friendly and totally full of respect and awe for whichever totally awesome officer pulled me off.

As mentioned though, I was not in a particularly good place on this occasion when I was pulled off. There is something totally devastating for me when I drop my kids off with their mother and I know I'm not going to be seeing them for a bit.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    You have the wrong land rover. When I had my Ser3S with stainless bull bar, they feared it, a lot! Trouble was, it was so slow that they needn't have bothered.

With any nice newer sort of vehicle, they tend to know that you will stop before them if they try and push in or play silly buggers. With an older vehicle, especially a stout one like a series LR, they tend to be less sure and as a result tend to back down first.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    You have the wrong land rover. When I had my Ser3S with stainless bull bar, they feared it, a lot! Trouble was, it was so slow that they needn't have bothered.

With any nice newer sort of vehicle, they tend to know that you will stop before them if they try and push in or play silly buggers. With an older vehicle, especially a stout one like a series LR, they tend to be less sure and as a result tend to back down first.
    Yes - this too. The Patrol is 20 years old. Although it has been very well looked after and is in fantastic shape, it has had many hard travels and has a few "bush-scars"... I definitely think these contribute to taxi driver hesitation...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

I think there is a demographic of which I am a part of, which is impatient and illicits a certain type of response of which the Rozzers use to try and leverage advantage.

I find it odd that when I battled to get my licence card renewed, I was forever being pulled over and lectured, even with all of the support documents I always carried. I would just shrug my shoulders even though I was internally registering their numbers and positions and calculating how many left handed double taps I could get in before the first lardass could reach for theirs.

Now, that I have the card, they dont seem to pull me over

Well done for sticking to requesting the fine.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

The Taxis dont seem to like Hummers either. Allegedly, neither do hijackers (hopefully its never put to the test) because township Gangstas like driving them

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    I think there is a demographic of which I am a part of, which is impatient and illicits a certain type of response of which the Rozzers use to try and leverage advantage.

I find it odd that when I battled to get my licence card renewed, I was forever being pulled over and lectured, even with all of the support documents I always carried. I would just shrug my shoulders even though I was internally registering their numbers and positions and calculating how many left handed double taps I could get in before the first lardass could reach for theirs.

Now, that I have the card, they dont seem to pull me over

Well done for sticking to requesting the fine.
    Rob Allen (who makes spear guns in Dbn) was telling me how his mate is even more obnoxious. When he got pulled over in Mozambique, he would get out his deck chair and put it in the middle of the road and let them know that he was not only going to out wait them, but he was going to stop their sly little side business as long as they kept him waiting. They pretty soon got the message that he was not going to buckle and was impacting their revenue so chased him away.

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Had the same thing at the same place on Saturday afternoon.

Licenses checked, asked if I had been drinking and sent on my way.

Must be my sunny disposition.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan ‘n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daar’s nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Rob Allen (who makes spear guns in Dbn) was telling me how his mate is even more obnoxious. When he got pulled over in Mozambique, he would get out his deck chair and put it in the middle of the road and let them know that he was not only going to out wait them, but he was going to stop their sly little side business as long as they kept him waiting. They pretty soon got the message that he was not going to buckle and was impacting their revenue so chased him away.
    Very similar to my crossing the Kafue. Expired licence disc. Car ''impounded'' and a local guy acting as an intermediary. Grabbed my satchel, 1lt tea mug, gave the keys to the ossifer and went and sat under a tree wishing I had rods in the Jeep.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast